La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
US$238
US$310
US$303
  • Pool
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Breakfast included
US$418
US$354
  • Pool
CasaBlanca Hotel(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$157
Hotels.com
US$360
US$311
7,829 results
All reviewssuite towerfelix perezocean viewlobby barnew towerla concha renaissanceadult poolslidersmain poolbeautiful resortchairs and umbrellasgreat beachconcierge deskresort feefitness centercondado areasolera
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We came back to the La Concha for our third visit in six years. We love the location and the entire layout of the hotel. A couple of points based on other reviews:

- I’m not a beach expert, but I can attest that the surf on the beach at La Concha can be pretty rough. It’s fun, but not everyone’s cup of tea.

- They have three pools and one of them is designated for adults only. They do have a security guard that asks families with children under 15 to leave. Usually the families just didn’t see the sign.

- We have had an ocean view room in the past, this time we stayed in a city view room in the new tower. Obviously there is a price difference. I didn’t miss the ocean view, we saw enough of it during the day. However the walk to the elevator from the opposite corner wasn’t as convenient as being on the ocean side of the building and there was noise on the street until late at night on at least one night, but it wasn’t that bothersome. I liked seeing the different things that were going on in the city. The most fun was to watch the three dogs that came out and hung out on the roof top across the street at 4:30 every day and stayed there until 7:30 the next morning.

- The neighborhood around the hotel is really the selling point, we only went into Old San Juan on one afternoon. The rest of the time we hit the stores and restaurants in the Condado area. Once again this area is not for everyone. We like urban areas and aren’t phased by a couple of vacant buildings. I think the addition of the Condado Vanderbilt next door will really change the area, for the better.

We really like the hotel and wouldn’t stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TPXB
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed this stay. The property is beautiful. Nice pools, great beach, good food, near plenty of bars/restaurants. Casino had low table limits and we did well each night. The room (ocean view on 4th floor) was pretty small, but still nice. Would love to return.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Ruszange
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Our last night in PR was spent at La Concha Resort and it was a nice end to our honeymoon. The room was nice, but it did have a stale smell that my travel candle came in handy to cover up. The air conditioner in the room was also very finicky and we were either very hot or freezing.

The pools and beach were beautiful and well maintained. The staff were all happy and helpful, especially our breakfast server who joked with us and was quick with the coffee (we are very sad we cannot remember her name!).

We discovered La Concha when we visited during our stay at El Convento in Old San Juan. While I loved the pool and beach, the smell of the room would likely prevent me from staying here again and opting for El Convento and taking the $10 cab ride to utilize the pools and beaches when desired. The benefit to staying here was that the room did have a fully equipped kitchen which would have been great for a longer stay.

The Casino was a bit blah in that it seemed a bit dated and drab. We aren't complaining too much though, we did win a bit of cash! :-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had stayed at this hotel last month and did not have the best level of service. I had to attend an investment conference in this same establishment and feared the same experience, so I was proactive and reached out to Luis. Rivera, the General Manager and he was very gracious and responded within a day. Although I needed to wait for a bit in order for the room to be ready, he had upgraded me to an oceanfront suite and had a bottle of wine delivered to the room in order to apologize for the faults with the prior stay. He also graciously gave me a late check out. The hotel was just purchased by a new entity and the level of service has definitely improved. All my negative thoughts were erased by the GM's efforts and I would now enthusiastically recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The suite tower is a must!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2014

OK...I've read the reviews of others and I think that somehow many folks are a bit confused on what they are getting. My wife and two sons (ages 15 and 13) spent four days here this past week and really enjoyed our stay. So here goes...the good and the bad.

Good Stuff
* Our room was nice. We did not stay in the "suites" tower...the reviews from those folks seem overwhelmingly negative. We had a two queen bed ocean view room. I thought the room was pretty roomy overall, especially compared to most rooms with two beds.
* San Juan - what a delightful city.
* Condado - Yes, the neighborhood is still gentrifying, but we never felt it was unsafe at all. Just keep in mind you are in a city and use your common sense. That said, we found plenty of great shopping, my daily Starbucks fix, and lots of good places (at all prices) for food and drink. And my kids were just fine walking on their own in the evening to grab a snack.
* Hotel staff - Just amazing. From the moment we arrived we felt very welcome. The staff in the executive lounge was amazing. And what I really liked is the staff in the lounge and at the entrance remembered us by name!
* The beach...ah the beach. Waves were nice; you could actually body surf. That was great. I heard people complaining that it was too rough. Again, not sure why you would ever go to an ocean WITHOUT waves.
* Different places for different groups of people - We actually found that the different types of people (families with kids; 20 something partiers; married couples without kids) seemed to be able to find places to be. If you don't want to be subjected to groups of people different than you, then this is not the resort for you. Then again, we expected that there would be a variety of groups of people here and so we were surprised (or angry like some of the other reviewers).
* The executive lounge (gold/platinum lounge?) was excellent. Great food. And the staff was simply amazing. They made us feel incredibly welcome.

Room for Improvement
* Yes , the shower design is not perfect. But put a bath mat at the entrance and it worked. But the current design has water going into the bathroom if the bath mat isn't in place.
* On the last day, two of the three elevators would not stop on the way to the lobby. So the wait for an elevator grew to 15-20 minutes. I told the desk at 7 AM but not quite sure they were explaining the issue correctly to engineering. When we left several hours later they were still not working properly.
.* As is typical for "resort" type places, the food and drink are astronomically expensive. Fortunately, you are in the middle of a city with stores everywhere. A simple walk to Walgreens helped us address this issue.
* The whole "getting a beach chair" thing was confusing. Do you just take an empty one or do you need to find someone? Hopefully a little signage by management could help.
* Smoking - ugh...I'm from Massachusetts and it is rare I am somewhere that a person is smoking. The resort allows smoking in different places but there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. I wish they followed Marriott corporate policy and just ban smoking from the entire property. The beach was the worst for this.

Again, we had such a delightful time here. We were sad to go. In fact, my 13 year old (on his own) wrote a note of thanks to the general manager. And I hope we can return sometime!

Room Tip: Ocean view key.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family