“Loved it! ”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Connecticut
“Loved it! ”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

La concha is a beautiful resort! We had an ocean-front room - gorgeous view and extremely comfortable bed! The rooms are a bit small but it wasn't a big deal to us. We ordered room service one night we were too tired to go out and it was very average and expensive so we weren't fans. We ordered drinks at the beach/pool - very expensive but tasty! Overall we had a great time and would come back for a weekend trip. Def will recommend to family and friends.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank itsjuliezee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,327)
  • Polish first
Mays Landing, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 April 2014

In April I revisited Puerto Rico and stayed, once again, at the La Concha. I was assigned room 624. The view was breathtaking - I had an oceanfront room. Each day and night if I opened the window I could hear the waves crashing in on beach. It also was extremely quiet - which I appreciated since I requested a quiet area in the hotel.

The room was spotless although one day my room wasn't cleaned. I reported it to the concierge and they called the next morning to make certain a maid had attended to my room.

I booked the City Tour through the hotel but the tour company cancelled the trip. I waited for 45 minutes and then went inside to ask the concierge agent, who happened to be Linnette Bauzo. She explained that the tour company had called them because they could not reach me on my cell (they had the wrong number) and she apologized for the cancellation of the tour. Linnette offered a free complimentary breakfast for my inconvenience, which I felt was very gracious since it was not the hotel's fault.

When I return to Puerto Rico I will stay once again a the La Concha. April 2015 here I come!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2014

So, I expected a great stay here and some of it definitely delivered:
1) The beach here is great. The hotel is right in front of the beach so easy access and there are enough bathrooms on the beach so you don't have to run up to your room.
2) The drinks at the bar are pretty tasty. Although I don't drink very much, both my girlfriends I traveled with really enjoyed the mixed drinks.
3) The suites were nice (I recommend the suite tower where the rooms are bigger)
4) The gym is great and the view of the beach at the gym is nice.

The not so great:
1) The concierge was a bit weird. It was not a true concierge but random desk people working the concierge station so the recommendations were definitely SPOTTY. I highly recommend you read about restaurants yourself both on Tripadvisor and on other sights since the only place I tried under the recommendation of the concierge did NOT serve good food. Also, there were several mistakes made there when trips were supposed to be booked and then we never received confirmation-we were later told that this was unable to be booked and then the next day, the trip leaders showed up wondering where we were since it was in fact booked. Also, a restaurant was booked for 2 people instead of 3 people as I had requested. Thankfully the restaurant did accommodate us. Recommend making sure you wait at that desk for true confirmation if you don't want these mix-ups
2) The adults only pool is quite frequently closed early on most days due to "events" and you are then pushed over to the regular pool which louder and more crowded.
3) The food in the hotel is expensive although this IS NORMAL for most hotels so I didn't care too much-sometimes it's just convenient to go there.

OTHER LITTLE TIPS:
-There is a 24hour WALGREENS nearby. If you are in the suites, you have a fridge and can stock up at Walgreens. You also do not have to bring sunscreen because you can buy it at Walgreens
-Orozco's is a restaurant down the street from here and has a great lunch/dinner that isn't too expensive.
-If you want to go to the BIOBAY, I recommend booking this PRIOR to arrival as the tours were all completely full when we got there. I had already been to the one in Vieques before but my two friends were disappointed that we couldn't go.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank skimmilk70
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for the credit towards the positive aspects of your stay which are highly valued. I want to apologize for the inconveniences created at the Front Desk, where your requests should have been handled in an effective and timely manner. It is critical and without doubt, we will intensely work to improve this experience and provide you with a higher level of hospitality and service. Your comments have been brought to our management team's attention and I am confident on your next visit you will find everything to your liking, once again.

In the meantime, I look forward to welcome you back and have you relax while you enjoy the sound of the ocean towards an unforgettable experience at La Concha.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I spent a long weekend at this property and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Resort-style vacationing isn't typically our thing but the location of La Concha afforded us the opportunity to relax by the water and to access lots of local sights easily. While you're here, be sure to visit Pinky's down the street for breakfast!
There's a good amount within walking distance, but Old San Juan requires a taxi or a bus ride. Be warned: the buses do not run on schedule and the traffic on (one-way) Ashford Ave is horrendous!
The service was great - everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The food was OK and ocean view rooms are awesome. The city locale and the lobby-turned nightclub on the weekends can make it a bit loud at night...

1 Thank JessZoladz
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Surpassed all of our expectations. Really an exceptional experience for us. Had an Ocean view room and worth every penny. Spent many long afternoons lounging in the adult-only pool listening to the waves. The property was so relaxing that we ended up cancelling most of our plans to see the rest of the island just to enjoy the facility.

Hotel gym was better than we expected and overlooked the ocean. Casino was convenient if not overly impressive. Restaurants were very good. They were pricier then nearby dining establishments but not outrageously so. And while the nightclub was exceptionally loud when walking in, we didn't hear it at all when in the room.

Albany, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We came back to the La Concha for our third visit in six years. We love the location and the entire layout of the hotel. A couple of points based on other reviews:

- I’m not a beach expert, but I can attest that the surf on the beach at La Concha can be pretty rough. It’s fun, but not everyone’s cup of tea.

- They have three pools and one of them is designated for adults only. They do have a security guard that asks families with children under 15 to leave. Usually the families just didn’t see the sign.

- We have had an ocean view room in the past, this time we stayed in a city view room in the new tower. Obviously there is a price difference. I didn’t miss the ocean view, we saw enough of it during the day. However the walk to the elevator from the opposite corner wasn’t as convenient as being on the ocean side of the building and there was noise on the street until late at night on at least one night, but it wasn’t that bothersome. I liked seeing the different things that were going on in the city. The most fun was to watch the three dogs that came out and hung out on the roof top across the street at 4:30 every day and stayed there until 7:30 the next morning.

- The neighborhood around the hotel is really the selling point, we only went into Old San Juan on one afternoon. The rest of the time we hit the stores and restaurants in the Condado area. Once again this area is not for everyone. We like urban areas and aren’t phased by a couple of vacant buildings. I think the addition of the Condado Vanderbilt next door will really change the area, for the better.

We really like the hotel and wouldn’t stay anywhere else.

1 Thank TPXB
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed this stay. The property is beautiful. Nice pools, great beach, good food, near plenty of bars/restaurants. Casino had low table limits and we did well each night. The room (ocean view on 4th floor) was pretty small, but still nice. Would love to return.

• Stayed April 2014
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,142 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!