“pre-cruise stay”

Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Baltimore, Maryland
“pre-cruise stay”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

La Concha was a perfect way to see PR before a cruise . We asked for a quiet room and received one even though it was not ocean view. It is a good choice if you do not want a vacation with children -made for a more sophisticated and relaxing vacation. We wanted an adult atmosphere as it was spring break and other hotels were full of children.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grahamcracker60

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,357)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful stay celebrating our two year anniversary this past February in Puerto Rico at the Concha Marriott. On our previous visit to Puerto Rico we gravitated to the very cool scene at the Concha, both at the pool and the lobby bar. Despite being Starwood preferred members we really prefer the location of La Concha better, right in the Condado region and on the beach.
One particular employee – Julian Rivera – a bellman there stood out heads and shoulders above the rest. Always smiling, extra helpful, and a genuinely nice person Julian deserves special recognition. Thank you Julian!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AhMereD
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We expected just a little 5 star treatment as it was our honeymoon. Our experience here in puerto was overall 2 out of 5 (poor experience). La Concha is a "2" only because the room was clean and bug free. La Concha internal restaurant food was good but costly ($18 for a cheeseburger). This was the best food item we had while on our 7 day/6 night honeymoon. Best experience Bacardi factory only because we went with a couple of the ladies we while in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is definitely not a place I would recommend for a honeymoon. We were not shown in marital bliss love here at all! No one asked us how our stay was because they were so busy all the time. When we checked in I told the front guest staffer that it was our honeymoon he said well welcome... can I see your ID. No Congratulations, no upgrades, no special recognition or nothing. I am very disappointed in my stay at LaConcha. It appeared to be a lot of business travelers (which this hotel may be better suited for). LaConcha does sit on the beach however the "red" flag which indicates dangerous conditions was up the entire 7 days we were there. We had to travel to another beach in Isla Verde just to get in the water and jet ski.

Also, do not get ripped off like we did on paying for tours and excursions through Laconcha Concierge. Some of the tours like the rain forest and Bacardi factory are FREE however we were charges $62 per person for Rainforest and told the barcardi factory was $55 but later found out from a local that is was FREE we would just have to pay for a taxi over to the location (which only cost us $30).

In total, we spent about $500 in tours and excursions which I felt was a rip off considering some should have been free. It is very saddening to experience what we did on our honeymoon.

I would have rather had a honeymoon in Atlanta had I known this would be like this :-(

Another thing is that crime has heightened in San Juan (related to crack & cocaine) and police officers were dispersed every couple of blocks. This could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. We didn't do any nighttime activities as we knew we would need a cab to travel a distance and secondly didn't feel safe.

My husband felt that we were in a nice motel 8(he quotes "we didn't even have a microwave").

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anita A
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Anita A;

I would like to thank you for the feedback provided from your recent stay with us. It is very disappointing to learn that your experience with us didn’t go as expected and we would like to truly apologize for all the inconveniences encountered. Our goal is to provide our guests with the best experience possible, so we’ll be sure to share and discuss your feedback with our managers in order to identify areas of opportunity for improvement and provide additional trainings to our associates. Unfortunately the Hotel in this case never got the information from the Romance Travel agent..

We would love to have a second chance to provide you with an amazing stay, so please contact us directly at (787) 721-7500 Ext. 6001 should you decide to visit us again in the future. I will take care of all your needs.

At your Services,
Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services
Connecticut
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

La concha is a beautiful resort! We had an ocean-front room - gorgeous view and extremely comfortable bed! The rooms are a bit small but it wasn't a big deal to us. We ordered room service one night we were too tired to go out and it was very average and expensive so we weren't fans. We ordered drinks at the beach/pool - very expensive but tasty! Overall we had a great time and would come back for a weekend trip. Def will recommend to family and friends.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank itsjuliezee
Mays Landing, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 April 2014

In April I revisited Puerto Rico and stayed, once again, at the La Concha. I was assigned room 624. The view was breathtaking - I had an oceanfront room. Each day and night if I opened the window I could hear the waves crashing in on beach. It also was extremely quiet - which I appreciated since I requested a quiet area in the hotel.

The room was spotless although one day my room wasn't cleaned. I reported it to the concierge and they called the next morning to make certain a maid had attended to my room.

I booked the City Tour through the hotel but the tour company cancelled the trip. I waited for 45 minutes and then went inside to ask the concierge agent, who happened to be Linnette Bauzo. She explained that the tour company had called them because they could not reach me on my cell (they had the wrong number) and she apologized for the cancellation of the tour. Linnette offered a free complimentary breakfast for my inconvenience, which I felt was very gracious since it was not the hotel's fault.

When I return to Puerto Rico I will stay once again a the La Concha. April 2015 here I come!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2014

So, I expected a great stay here and some of it definitely delivered:
1) The beach here is great. The hotel is right in front of the beach so easy access and there are enough bathrooms on the beach so you don't have to run up to your room.
2) The drinks at the bar are pretty tasty. Although I don't drink very much, both my girlfriends I traveled with really enjoyed the mixed drinks.
3) The suites were nice (I recommend the suite tower where the rooms are bigger)
4) The gym is great and the view of the beach at the gym is nice.

The not so great:
1) The concierge was a bit weird. It was not a true concierge but random desk people working the concierge station so the recommendations were definitely SPOTTY. I highly recommend you read about restaurants yourself both on Tripadvisor and on other sights since the only place I tried under the recommendation of the concierge did NOT serve good food. Also, there were several mistakes made there when trips were supposed to be booked and then we never received confirmation-we were later told that this was unable to be booked and then the next day, the trip leaders showed up wondering where we were since it was in fact booked. Also, a restaurant was booked for 2 people instead of 3 people as I had requested. Thankfully the restaurant did accommodate us. Recommend making sure you wait at that desk for true confirmation if you don't want these mix-ups
2) The adults only pool is quite frequently closed early on most days due to "events" and you are then pushed over to the regular pool which louder and more crowded.
3) The food in the hotel is expensive although this IS NORMAL for most hotels so I didn't care too much-sometimes it's just convenient to go there.

OTHER LITTLE TIPS:
-There is a 24hour WALGREENS nearby. If you are in the suites, you have a fridge and can stock up at Walgreens. You also do not have to bring sunscreen because you can buy it at Walgreens
-Orozco's is a restaurant down the street from here and has a great lunch/dinner that isn't too expensive.
-If you want to go to the BIOBAY, I recommend booking this PRIOR to arrival as the tours were all completely full when we got there. I had already been to the one in Vieques before but my two friends were disappointed that we couldn't go.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank skimmilk70
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for the credit towards the positive aspects of your stay which are highly valued. I want to apologize for the inconveniences created at the Front Desk, where your requests should have been handled in an effective and timely manner. It is critical and without doubt, we will intensely work to improve this experience and provide you with a higher level of hospitality and service. Your comments have been brought to our management team's attention and I am confident on your next visit you will find everything to your liking, once again.

In the meantime, I look forward to welcome you back and have you relax while you enjoy the sound of the ocean towards an unforgettable experience at La Concha.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I spent a long weekend at this property and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Resort-style vacationing isn't typically our thing but the location of La Concha afforded us the opportunity to relax by the water and to access lots of local sights easily. While you're here, be sure to visit Pinky's down the street for breakfast!
There's a good amount within walking distance, but Old San Juan requires a taxi or a bus ride. Be warned: the buses do not run on schedule and the traffic on (one-way) Ashford Ave is horrendous!
The service was great - everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The food was OK and ocean view rooms are awesome. The city locale and the lobby-turned nightclub on the weekends can make it a bit loud at night...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!