“This hotel sucks! ”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Been waiting for over 3 hrs for my room. With a 3 Year old and a 1 year old. Every time I check they say the room is not ready. The weather is also miserable outside raining. And this is just the beginning of my one week stay at this hotel. Don't know how it's going to be for the later part.
A very pissed off guest.

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank vesitmaverick
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Vesitmaverick,

I was surprised to read your comments regarding your arrival. In an effort to ensure that we constantly improve in every area, I shared your trip advisor post with our Operational manager’s and guest services staff. It’s very important for us that when situations like this occur to be informed and turn around that disappointing feeling.

Please contact me at your convenience at erivera@laconcharesort.com or ext 6001 as I would like to personally speak with you in order to gather more information.

Once again my apologies.

Cordially,
Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest services

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had a late flight and wanted to shower after a day at the beach/pool. In decades of beach travel, there is always a courtesy hotel room where you can shower and change after you've checked out on the last day, so that you can enjoy the beach without worry. This is the first beach hotel that did not offer a courtesy shower room for travelers. The only available shower once you've checked out is outside. The outdoor showers are not even enclosed, so it is impossible to get clean. There aren't even any toiletries to use or a hairdryer. It was pouring rain, and the desk person would not make an exception even in a downpour, so we had to shower in the freezing cold. We were told they are "working on" getting a courtesy room." A 4 star hotel should not treat its customers this way. Heading to the air conditioned airport with wet hair and sand all over ourselves put a huge damper on the whole vacation. I think I have been treated better at the Super 8.

We've been to Puerto Rico several times and stayed at different places, including, Marriott, Water Club and Ritz Carlton. This hotel is beautifully renovated and very trendy, so good for a young crowd. The rooms were small, but very clean and modern. The ocean view rooms had giant windows with an incredible view. There are several pools which are beautifully landscaped and a couple of hot tubs, which would have been nice if not so crowded. The beach area is also very clean, although the water is very rough and you can't swim for long. The casino looks worn and needs to be updated. Wifi is free but spotty. There was a once a month market which took place right next to the hotel, which we passed just as it was closing. It would be nice (another easy customer service touch) if they informed guests that this market was there.

The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance of several restaurants and shops. There is a bus which stops right outside and takes you to Old San Juan. It can get very loud in the lobby and outside. You can hear the noise all the way up in the high rooms, which makes it hard to sleep at night, If you are looking for a quiet place this is not the place to go.

Although a nice space overall, I'd stay at any of the other San Juan hotels which take better care of their customers. This is really not the place to go because of that.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DoveJJ

Saludos DoveJJ,

I received your concern through Tripadvisor regarding your past stayed with us at La Concha Resort. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience experienced.

Reading your comments I can understand that you could it be frustrated about the situation but us at La Concha Resort treat all of our guest as First class guest and our goal is to make a memory. Unfortunately due to the availability of the hotel we cannot do certain concessions. Also indeed the information giving to you is correct we are working for some improvement to delight our guest after check out.

My apologies for the inconvenience during your stay once again.

If the opportunity to serve you again arises, please contact me, for it would be my personal commitment to ensure we live up to your expectations.

At your service,

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 9 May 2014

3 adults and a child in my party stayed there on a Saturday night in April in a 2 double bed suite on the 9th floor in the tower. Our suite faced the street. The suite was large, clean, well appointed with a modern decor. We had to wait till 4 PM until the room was ready. We spent time waiting in the pool area and had a few expensive drinks. The beach and pool deck areas were gorgeous. We did not go in the casino. At night the hotel bar area was trendy lively. As time wore on waiting for the room we decided to walk up the street and found a great bar with cheap drinks and great food. Around 12 mid a club across the street got really busy and the music blasted till around 5-6 AM. Up on the 9th floor we could hear the bass with the balcony door closed. The hotel was the center of action on the block and there were lots of options on the street like Walgreen drugstore, restaurants, and bars. I'd stay here again but choose an ocean view room if I wanted to relax; but it was interesting (for a while) watching all the people and cars slowly cruising up the street from the balcony on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: ocean view may be less noisier than city view. Young Party People would love this hotel especially...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank travelwoman21
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had a great experience staying at the La Concha for our vacation in April of 2014. The service was great and the rooms were extremely well done, above average size, the suites have a full kitchen. Huge fridge/freezer. sink, microwave, stove top (no oven) pots, pans, plates, etc. Nice balcony. Comfortable beds with all the amenities. (I recommend the suite tower where the rooms are bigger)
This hotel is right on the beach. The beach is clean and they have plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. The beach and 4 pools is without a doubt the best on Condado Beach.
It is an Atlantic Ocean, not a Caribbean, the waves are very high [approx. 10 feet tall], but they have a break water on the left facing the ocean which creating a calm lagoon.
Great location with many places to eat. Overall, A great time and a great experience. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: I recommend the suite tower where the rooms are bigger
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2014

First off, I should say that this is more a review for people who have a budget while on vacation. If you are rich and don't care, then by all means go to this place.

If you're still reading, quite frankly you can do better. If you don't pay the premium for an ocean view (which I'm sure is amazing), you're stuck with a "city view" which is basically a few dirty parking lots, overcrowded tiny pools, and on the positive note, access to a nice public beach. So you end up paying a lot for access to a public beach. The Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn have the same "city" views and access to the same beach for a lot less money. It's either pay for a really amazing room or don't bother.

Other justification for 2 stars: The air conditioning just didn't do a good job of dehumidifying the room, the kitchen, bath, and bedroom were all tile floor and unless you turn the A/C to 69 degrees and it stays on continuously, even the tiles get damp. I thought it was just a PR thing until I visted the Hilton's toward Old San Juan, much better.

Front desk employees appear bored and useless

The gym is too small for the size of the resort, there is great running and other outdoor activities obviously but when it's raining, disappointing.

The concierge lounge employees were consistently friendly, that was nice.

Finally, they charged my credit card $500 for no apparent reason 2 days after my final correct payment was processed. I have called the hotel 4 times and was told that the only people who can help me are "accounting" and they have yet to answer. 4 phone calls over a span of 6 hours all ring without answer.

At the time of this review, myself and the two reviews directly preceeding mine have experienced overcharging.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Falqon
Mike R, Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Falqon,

Thank you for your review and for relating your experience. I do apologize for not meeting your expectations and we will work towards your expressed concerns. I understand from your review that there was an additional charge that you did not expect. I can assure you that we never want to intentionally mislead our guests in any way and I sincerely apologize if the charge was not clear.

Please contact me directly and I will gladly assist you with this matter. In the meantime, I hope that you could give us another opportunity to be of service.

Saludos,

Mike Rivera
Hotel Manager
mirivera@laconcharesort.com

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was a great resort for our little get away. The rooms couldn't be better and the staff was all great and very attentive. The drink prices were comparable to Miami or Vegas ($13 for an absolute cocktail) but there was a liquor store at the corner and there were a few great little bars across the street that had cheap drinks.

My only complaint was when they tried to charge me for an $18 breakfast charged to my room (which they had a receipt in someone else's handwriting). The receipt was at 9AM which I know for a fact I was still in bed at that time. My question is how did someone know my last name and room number??? AND the signature didn't even have any of the letters of my name. They eventually took it off but I would tell people to check their bill at the end for any random charges.

All in all it was a great trip. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a fun, warm place!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emily B
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We unfortunately made the mistake of booking our 3 night stay at the Marriott Courtyard Isla Verde. The hotel is undergoing renovation and is in no condition to service guests at this time. I called Orbitz and requested their help in canceling the reservation at the Courtyard and moving us over to La Concha. We were very surprised to find how modern and contemporary the hotel was. They do not do a very good of advertising how truly hip they are. The rooms are super modern with an amazing window facing the beach, comfortable Marriott bed & rain shower head...a personal favorite. The hotel lobby has an open air feel with a large selection of cool restaurants including a sushi bar. The pool & beach area is beautiful with everything you could possibly ask for. We loved the hotel. The only problem which they corrected was they over charged my credit in the amount of $700. They were very sorry and took care of the problem right away. Not sure how and why that happened. Outside of that, this is a very cool hotel. Can't go wrong here!

Room Tip: Anything facing the beach is amazing!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!