“Unimpressed”

Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Boston
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Here's why La Concha was a disappointment: 5 hour wait at check-in among a sea of angry guests, (we were not early, regular check-in time had come and gone), no compensation. Wifi never worked. Room equipped with loud a/c unit in the closet (I'm paying for the sound of tree frogs and ocean, not a/c and running toilet keeping me up all night till I bought earplugs). No other rooms available, no compensation. OK, it's a hopin' spot. Come for the scene. But given the decay under the veneer and redonculous cost for facilities and services (un)rendered there are plenty of other wonderful places to stay in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank eastern_sequoia
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Eastern_sequoia,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. It really saddens me to know that our team did not meet your expectations and had that room on time in addition to the Wi-Fi situation to meet your standards.

Please accept my apologies.

Please contact me at your convenience at erivera@laconcharesort.com or 787-721-7500. I really like to get into details in this matter.

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,358)
  • Polish first
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The great news is that it's right on the beach and it's centrally located to other bars/restaurants so that's always wonderful. The bad news is the customer service level isn't that great. Four of us checked in, booked 2 double beds, and when we arrived the front desk informed us there were no more 2 double beds available. The only thing they had was a king bed. The hotel was over booked and so we either had a choice of 1 king bed for 4 people or 1 queen bed with a sleeping sofa. After much debate, we had no choice but to accept the queen bed and sleeping sofa hoping the sleeping sofa fit 2 people. To our surprise, the sleeping sofa fit only 1 person and you can feel the springs through the flimsy mattress. We informed concierge and they did bring in another small cot but now the room was cramped up. So we just spend the entire morning and afternoon making calls to the front desk and switching rooms. Luckily we were only there for 2 nights. I gave it an average score because of location and the staff was friendly but they were missing the small details of comfort.

Room Tip: Make sure you call ahead of time to guarantee the room you booked!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sue_Q30
Thank you for reviewing your stay in our resort and for sharing your comments and concerns about your recent stay. It is extremely important for us to receive feedback regarding our service and overall quality of the hotel as this enables us to identify and correct areas needing improvement.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for unfortunately not having the 2 beds available right from the start. Our goal is to actually exceed the guest expectation every time. Unfortunately that was not the case and indeed the situation was completely unacceptable.

I would like to personally invited you back to our resort and offer my personal assistance for your next visit to our beautiful island.

At Your Service,
Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services
New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived YESTERDAy at 2 pm waited TIL 4:30 for room to be ready . Luckily our son arrived the day before so we could change in his room. Crazy but I was in contact with the hotel weeks before our arrival, Facebook messaging and liking all their posts and my son got wine and cookies in their room as a thank you from the Facebook team. HMMM, Still have 6 days to go. LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Best choice room was great just like photos shown ocean front suite well worth it view was great tenth floor room cleaned well everyday.Any issues we had were handled promptly by the front desk staff.Very polite to us at all times.The grounds were beautiful well kept plenty of places to sit and relax plenty of shade if needed.Plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas no problems.wanted to mention some great employees we met
Felix Hector Martin Joshuar Carlos Nestor all served at different areas of the hotel.My eight days were great we needed the rest.We will be back Thanks la concha

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank duke012
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I am not staying here bc I hv family in the area.. but I love trying new places.. I came here n I fell in love. The service was amazing n the drinks were even better.. Veronica made me a chocolate martini.. that was the best I've ever had.. im a bartender so im very picky.. they are so sweet here. Veronica is am amazing bartender n shes HOTT!! the guy bartenders are something to look at too!!!! I will definitely be coming back.. whether to stay or drink..

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Grace C,

I am very happy to read how much you enjoyed your visit and that you fell in love with our Latino chic hospitality and service at our adult playground, the Lobby Bar, where most action and fun takes place. Your comments will most definitely be conveyed to Veronica and our team members. I encourage you to return soon and be part of an unforgettable hotel experience as well. Should your travels bring you to San Juan, I look forward to welcome you back to La Concha.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Miami, FL
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Hip, open air hotel in Condado with a decent beach area and good service. We stayed in the suite tower - the room had 2 queen beds with sitting area (a plus that it was separated by a sliding wood door), on the 7th floor, facing the city. Spacious room, with refrigerator, mini stove, and microwave. The room was not noisy at night and the little noise there was downstairs was barely audible (note that I was on the 7th floor). The only complaint I have is the a/c which, being on auto, turns on and off at night and while it is off, it can start to get a bit warm under the covers even though it was set at 68 F, then once it clicks back on it is cold again... Anyway, very nice hotel. I am from Miami Beach and I also agree that it has a South Beach vibe.

Stayed July 2014
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I entirely forgot to write a review last year when I stayed here for my honeymoon. Overall great experience at this resort, albeit a tiny bit expensive (but you're on vacation so it's okay! haha). Upon checking in, we mentioned to the front desk clerk that it was our honeymoon and she disappeared for a minute and reappeared with two glasses of campaign and we were immediately impressed with the customer service. The Lobby apparently turns into a trendy nightclub type place during the weekends where a lot of the locals hang out and i agree that a many people were definitely dressed to impress. Our room was also large and gorgeous - we had a balcony with a view of the ocean. Overall the entire premise was kept up very well and very clean. No problems with room service and the attendants at the pool were always available to take drink orders and were always very courteous and upbeat. The only drawbacks were that the beach was definitely man made as the sand was quite gritty and the beach itself was quite small. There was also graffiti on the walls nearby that detracted from the atmosphere. For dining options we mostly ate off the resort, using yelp to locate some nice restaurants nearby. My favorite was a small restaurant across the street that had the most amazing Mofongo and so we ate there twice. There is a walgreens (or CVS - can't remember now) within a 5 minute walk where you can pick up beer and toiletries if you wanted to. Also if you wanted to keep costs down, there's a Ben a Jerry's cafe on the left side of the main building (if you're looking straight at it) where you can pick up breakfast sandwiches, omlettes, salads, sandwiches, etc. The food comes out a bit slowly but employees were all very pleasant. As far as activities go, we're pretty close to old san juan. you can either splurge and take a taxi there or pay $2 and take the bus, which is still a pretty quick ride. They also had well organized excursions and we spent a night in Farjardo to go to one of the bio bays. I would HIGHLY recommend going to the bio bays as it realy is one of the best experiences of my life. Overall i really enjoyed my stay and would definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!