“Only here a few minutes and disappointed ”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My friend booked this resort for her 40th birthday trip based on reviews and room views. She specially requested two queen beds with beach views with balcony on upper floor. When we got here, we were told that the hotel does not have that type of room...there is no such thing as two queens with balcony overlooking ocean. We asked to move to suite and were told they were booked. When we were checking in, we were told she would give is a Juliette balcony (step out balcony) on an upper floor. Our room is the 5th floor...2nd floor of rooms...right above the DJ. We asked to move and were told no rooms were available on upper floors with Juliette balconies. We hope the rest of the service is better because so far we are disappointed.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Heather S
Mike R, Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Saludos Heather S,

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments regarding your stay at La Concha A Renaissance Resort please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you encountered.

We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns regarding the hotel accommodations so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience.

At your service,

Mike Rivera
Hotel Manager
La Concha Resort
mirivera@laconcharesprt.com

Write a ReviewReviews (7,629)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We needed to get away and La Concha was the best vacation ever! We loved the pools, the beach and the staff. We had an excursion to the Rain Forest with a terrific, knowledgeable, and fun guide named Manuelo. He added so much information that we wouldn't have learned on our own. He made us feel like family! We walked to Old San Juan one day. It was a hike, but very enjoyable to see the sights along the way. After that, we caught the public bus right outside the resort and saved the taxi fare to spend in the city. There were great restaurants within walking distance from the resort. Best staff helper/advice giver was Jason and the most friendly staff person was Felix Perez! Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Suite Tower with a corner balcony. We got to see the city and the beach.
1  Thank Marilyn W
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel the week of July 23rd. Check in/check out process was simple. Treatment was excellent, staff were very helpful, and maid service was above and beyond. I traveled with 2 children and an adult. We loved the area, the hotel is close to many restaurants and Walgreens/CVS. We walked to walgreens everyday for something! The room was nice and clean, we had an ocean view room at the ocean tower - 4th floor, the room as comfy and quiet, we were lucky enough to have a fireworks show saturday night because of a wedding so we opened the window and enjoyed the show, the last sunday of each month they have a jazz festival and it is around the corner from the hotel so we stayed outside on the resort and enjoyed the music, the hotel gets cleaned every morning so if you happen to walk out at 6am it smells very clean! .. the beach is red flag area so you must watch your kids at all times! ...overall the experience at this hotel was wonderful and we will stay again!

Room Tip: The first floor is loud! They have live bands on the weekends so if you want peace and quite be sur...
2  Thank Maria H
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Really enjoyed our 4-day stay at La Concha. Great beach, several pool areas to choose from; nice lobby bar, and the suites were very comfortable. We did Monday - Thursday to avoid weekend crush, which paid off. Staff were all very nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: Go for the suite, especially if traveling with a group. Amenities include full size fridge, stoveto...
2  Thank Sheree P
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I really struggle to write this review. The hotel itself does strive to be a trendy place with an upscale flare, but it is an ancient hotel. It's no secret the place shows it's age, especially in the rooms and exterior. I feel as though if you are any sort of a discerning traveler, you will not enjoy this "resort." Service was average if not sub par at the bars, etc. The greeter at the front was absolutely excellent and very friendly. Drinks are extremely overpriced as well as the food. I'm not one to dine at resorts as I prefer to venture off site to explore and have local dishes, so I can't speak for the actual restaurants on site (Voga, perla) but the prices seemed outrageous. I did have a few drinks while at the pool or beach, but do yourself a favor and go to Walgreens or the liquor stores across the street and stock up your room. I took my own to the beach everyday.

Check-in was speedy, but rooms are not ready early, so don't even ask. I'm a Marriott elite member, but we still didn't get into our room until 5:30 or so. Check in is 4.

Maid service was ok. The first day our room was not made up upon return at 4:30pm. It was shortly thereafter. The other days there was no issue.

There was never an issue with chairs at the beach or pool. Plenty for everyone.

There is a little card in the room that states that after sunset to "make an impression" and dress up. Long pants, collared shirts for men, etc. They want to keep the ambiance of the hotel. Let me just say that I have NO issue with this whatsoever if there is an ambiance. I couldn't find it among the loud and somewhat obnoxious clientele I encountered throughout the hotel and lobby bar areas. All in all - it is what it is, take it all in. Maybe some will agree with me, and some will not. However, being a frequent traveler to many places around the world, I would not describe this place as a little slice of paradise as stated in other reviews.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is the way to go.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andrew S
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Andrew S,
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you choose La Concha Resort during your stay in Puerto Rico and we apologize for the problems you encountered.
We currently are fixing the cleanliness issues and also always looking for better ways to delight our guest. I can assure you this is not the level of service we strive to offer. However we are happy you enjoyed your time at Puerto Rico and hope you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future.

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The room was great .The view wonderful. Entertainment was second to none. Excelllent 41/2 stars hotel. The food was pricey in hotel. There`s plenty of resturants in walking distance. Stores and eatery stay open late.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank dezo55
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Being a local and working in the hotel industry for a couple of years and I always heard of La Concha and visited the lobby and casino but didn't thought of staying there because I am mostly in Condado and work in Condado, so does my partner. We stayed there on August 4, 2014 and I was blown away. The night life is really energetic, the rooms are soothing and modern. Every was nice and clean. I inspected the room to be honest and didn't found a flaw. I definitely recommend this hotel and give it two thumbs up. Would give 3 thumbs up but I only have 2 hands. I congratulate Mr. Rivera, Hotel Manager, and everyone else that day by day make the whole production a success. Also, thanks to Valerie Toledo, from Front Desk, for making a good first impression from the staff. The showed upmost culture and was very professional. Keep up the great work.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple