“Beautiful place to relax and Play!!!”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 17 August 2014

After having a bad experience at one property in PR, I decided to try la Concha which I do not regret! This place has everything under one roof! The beach is literally apart of the hotel. As soon as you take a step out of the back door you are stepping in sand from the beach. The pool is absolutely breath taking and the staff is accommodating and very nice. This place is perfect for gamblers as there is a fully functioning casino on the first level.

On our next trip to PR I will definitely be staying at the La Concha!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank SaLoneStarr

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The perfect holiday resort. We had a great suite, stunning view, 8th floor with a balcony overlooking the ocean. We ate in all the restaurants, not a single complaint for the whole stay.

Just one word of advice... Do not book through lastminute.com!
We chose the suite with sea view including breakfast, we paid an extra £270 on the booking just for breakfast (£30/day). There was no mention of breakfast on our booking confirmation & we arrived to find it was not actually included. Lastminute.com have literally stolen £270 from us & the hotel. When I contacted them to complain they said said unless I had a screenshot of the booking to prove I chose the option with breakfast they would do nothing. (Who on earth takes a screenshot when booking a holiday?) As a matter of principal we've eaten breakfast out every morning, which is a shame because the hotel's restaurants are great but there are also plenty of other perfectly good restaurants nearby.

No fault whatsoever of the hotel's & I will never use lastminute.com to book another holiday. Highly recommend La Concha for anyone looking for a chilled out beach/pool/sun holiday.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OZLIGHT
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was my first time going to Puerto Rico and because of this hotel and the people who work there, I would definitely come back. Although it wasn't perfect it was still amazing. The shower floor in the hotel needs to be slanted more to allow better drainage and there was some mold issues in our first room. Called for service and the guy they sent up wasn't much help but after talking to this AMAZING person who works there named Michael Tischler, he was able to help us out and switch the rooms. Anything we needed he provided to the best of his ability, he treated us like we were his own family. I give him 5-stars for the kindness he showed and all his hard work. He helped make my stay at this hotel one to remember (I could see myself enjoying more birthday weekends here).

I liked the 24 hour access to pools and beach. Casino was a nice touch as well...Chairs, umbrella, tables, unlimited towels that are provided as part of the daily service charge was very helpful also. Rooms were spacious. We had 2 beds oceanfront. The balcony was basically a railing, but they do have rooms with king beds and real balconies with tables and chairs.
The pool and ocean water was very warm. Walked right in.
I would definitely return.

Transportation to Old SanJuan is right in front of the hotel. The guys out front made sure transportation was always available. Felix and the other guys were very friendly, helpful and welcoming.

1  Thank TamaraMJohnson
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were supposed to stay with family until our check in and unfortunately that didn't happen so we had to check in extremely early. When I called the hotel I immediately asked to speak to a manager and Andres Rodriguez took full ownership and helped me. When I arrived he explained everything thoroughly and made us feel like the most special guests. We asked how we could acknowledge him (suggestion card, manager, etc) We them spoke to his manager George Ilaroza and he was so personable and even more accommodating. He introduced us to David Flores if we had an issues during our stay. We are writing this review even before getting into our rooms. That's how awesome this staff is. Andres, George and David are HUGE assets to this hotel! Stay here... It's also GORGEOUS!

1  Thank Kelias917
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I tried a new destination in Puerto Rico. I have travelled there many times, but wanted my husband to have a perfect first time experience. La Concha was perfect. It's located in the heart of many great restaurants and convenient stores. The hotel is awesome. The rooms were beautiful, we stayed in 3 different room types. All were ocean view and breathtaking, clean and luxurious. The best part was the service we received from the greeting at the front door to the wait staff, all were pleasant and very accommodating. My husband has a new love in Puerto Rico. La Concha will be a vacation spot to return to.

Room Tip: Upper floors give you more privacy
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Selena I
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I love Marriott properties but this place is a social party meca. We arrived on Wed night and had to shout to check in over the band noise in the lobby 100 ft away. In requesting a room do not accept "city view" unless you want to look over what appears to be a horrible part of town, get ocean view. My room had mildew smell and smelled. Normally a Marriott would move their guest to another room. Here they say let me call housekeeping and 45 min later a fellow appears on my door near 11 p.m. with a de-humidifier!! Oh this will fix it he says , wrong. The auto wake up call never worked, the TV control did not work.The breakfast buffet was a fruit fly buffett, fruit flies everywhere on the fuit areas. for $200 per night find another place.

Room Tip: ask for ocean view, the city view is a depressing dirty city view. ask to check out your room first...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Ralph R
Mike R, Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Saludos Ralph R,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on your recent stay. I have met with our Food and Beverage team to share your review.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent food and beverage experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future

Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to Puerto Rico.

Mike Rivera
Hotel Manager
La Concha Hotel
mirivera@laconcharesort.com

Reviewed 14 August 2014

First I want to recognize the staff that were the most helpful.
Joshua at the "Navigator" desk.
Jesus - night crew
Felix - valet supervisor/staff lead

Now, with the bad, terrible and just plain wrong about La Concha.

First, upon checking in we did not get 2 queens as I had requested. They did nothing to rectify the problem and even made us feel like we were to blame. They did not offer any sort of solution but only told us "that is what you got." The management did not make me feel like I was staying at a $300+/ night resort, but rather a middle-of-nowhere motel. Their customer service is absolutely bad.

On a side note to the problems at check in, don't expect to get the room before 4:30pm. Plan something during the day while you wait for the room to be ready.

It is terrible that upon our arrival we start out with a bad taste and question out choice in resorts.

Next the straight wrong business practice of this resort. Before we had left to PR we checked with an independent excursion agency to inquire about a Bio Bay trip. Their website advised it was a full moon the time we would be in PR and thus would not be able to see the illumination in the bay. We wanted to double check with La Concha and Matthew at the concierge/navigator desk ASSURED us that we would see the bay in it's full glory. He was wrong. Because of the moon there was no illumination, but the kayak tour (which was great and much fun) made up for it during the tour. DO NOT book any tour with La Concha. For one, it's way overpriced. Two, they lie. Three, they do not provide all information needed. I was under the impression I pay the resort and they, in turn, pay the booking agent or the like. When we got back from the tour the driver said we needed to pay him. I refused and talked to La Concha and they told me to pay him directly. (They reserved the spot on my CC, which led to me distrust) he charges $90 a person with cash and $96 per person with credit card. Completely unethical. (They said it wasn't illegal to not charge sales tax on cash transactions. They must not realize they are a USA territory) if I am wrong about the tax practice in PR I apologize, but I don't think I am.

Okay! Now the good!!

-great location
-great food outside of the hotel
-nice drinks at the pool
-very nice pools
-friendly patrons of the hotel
-casino
-beach!

Another side note, I recommend renting a car. It is worth it especially to avoid having to your with the resort. Also, avoid the taxis...kind of shady.

Overall, PR is awesome. It just sucks that I happen to be the one getting poor service. I hope your experience is better!

Any questions? Let me know!

4  Thank Koolduffdude

Dear Koolduffdude,

I greatly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at La Concha A Renaissance Resort and thank you for recognizing Joshua, Jesus and Felix for their service, your comments will be conveyed to them.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you encountered. I have shared your review with our management team.

. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience.

Mike Rivera

Hotel El Convento
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!