“A most wonderful experience”

Coqui del Mar Guest House
Ranked #5 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 July 2012

A wonderful experience

I was one of six women who just returned from a stay at the guesthouse and we could not have had a better time. You won't find better hosts than Neal & Noyda who went above and beyond to make our visit wonderful. On the first day I had a swollen ankle and Noyda want so far as to drive me to the restaurant and back home again so that I should not injure it further. I thought that was above & beyond the call of duty. The beautiful beach is so close by and we had chairs and towels and there are pails and shovels, etc available. The area is lovely and we six, who are a walking group, enjoyed strolling to different restaurants in the area. The rooms are clean, the kitchen had all the appliance you might need and we could not find anything disappointing the whole of our stay.

2  Thank 83flowers

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Coqui del Mar is truly one of the best places I have ever stayed at on vacation! Noyda and Neil, the managers of the guest house, are so warm and welcoming. My friend and I arrived a couple of hours before check-in time, and the room wasn't ready yet, so Neil stored our luggage for us, showed us where the beach and grocery store was (both walking distance), and even gave us beach towels and a cooler with ice and water for us to relax on the beach while our room was getting cleaned up. They also had bikes for us to borrow (complimentary) and we were able to ride down to Condado easily, which saved us a $20 cab ride each way.

This place is definitely like a home away from home. It is located in a residential neighborhood a block away from the beach and literally felt like we were coming back "home" after our adventures. If you are looking for a stuffy 5-star hotel, then look elsewhere because this is not the place for you. This guest house is just that: a B&B style guest house.

Each room is unique and serves varying travelers (details of each room on their website). We stayed in El Cangrejo, which had a full sized bed, a fully equipped kitchen, and a steam shower (YES, a steam shower!). The only thing is there was not enough counter space in the bathroom for 2 girls' worth of toiletries & makeup, but we were able to make due by setting up 2 folding TV trays that we found in the closet (LOL).

Coqui del Mar, thanks for making our stay in Puerto Rico a memorable one! We are definitely planning on visiting PR again with a larger group and coming back to stay with you (in a larger room, of course). Noyda mentioned that there was a family that rented out all of the rooms of the guest house for a wedding. If I wasn't already married, I would highly consider renting out the whole guest house and having a wedding there. I absolutely love this place!

Room Tip: El Cangrejo is perfect for 2 people, no room for a third person unless you don't mind sleeping o...
2  Thank Melissa P
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This was my first time staying outside of a resort hotel, and I was MORE than pleasantly surprised. Noyda & Neal are more than accommodating. Coqui is very welcoming, clean and friendly. Everything and anything you need, they will find a way to make it happen. Beach access is convenient. You can expect fresh mangos off the tree that sits on the property and several modern conviences: A/C, full kitchen amenities, family games, flat screen. We were close to bus stops, corner store and a few restaurants and liquor store. The beach was very pleasant. We didn't have any problems here even walking home at night from the local pub (3 blocks).

Room Tip: The Pescador was perfect for 2 travelers seeping seperately. Make sure you keep Noyda's cell ph...
4  Thank driniangel
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Coqui del Mar is so much more than just budget friendly place in a great location half a block from the beach. The whole place is very cozy, homely, relaxed and friendly. Rob, the owner is a super nice guy, very friendly and helpful. Noyda and Neal are the managers of the place and they couldn't be more welcoming, helpful, friendly, fun and just overall really pleasant people. The whole place is equipped with anything you can imagine you would need for the beach free for guests to borrow and use, and so much more!! We loved our stay here and would definitely come back again. I highly recommend it to everyone who prefers home like environment in a perfect location!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank zaben
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I just returned from a trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico. While in Puerto Rico, we stayed at Coqui Del Mar. I was so glad we stayed at Coqui Del Mar too! I liked the fact that the beach is walking distance to Coqui Del Mar. Each morning, we would go swimming in the ocean. The beach was quiet and I noticed there were not many people around. I enjoyed the solitude this beach had to offer. Since Coqui Del Mar is located in a quaint Puerto Rican neighborhood, I felt like I was a "local" while on vacation. The room we stayed at also had a kitchen. We were able to cook our own meals instead of eating out every night. Having access to a kitchen allows a person to eat more local types food and save money.

Coqui Del Mar is the perfect place to have a family reunion or wedding. Neil and Noyda who manage Coqui Del Mar, go out of their way to make you feel comfortable!

I highly recommend staying at Coqui Del Mar.

Room Tip: The room called "La Concha" was very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Estelle F
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed here in March with my fiancee, and had a lovely time. The Coqui del Mar is situated in a quaint Puerto Rican neighborhood with very beautiful Spanish homes. The beach is half a block away. I know some people say the beach right out front was small, but I was really pleased when we arrived to not only see how close the beach is, but to see how private it was. We laid out for hours, and no one bothered us. You can, of course, walk down the beach to the left and it the beach widens for a mile or more, and the scenary changes quite a bit.

The hotel is clean, and comfortable. We appreciated having our own kitchen, and blender. It saved us a ton on buying food. I appreciated the book they keep inside the hotel that lets other travelers give advice to newcomers. The spa is a nice treat after a hard day, and the hotel is also quiet. Oh yes, don't let me forget! They have coolers, bicycles, boogie boards, and umbrellas free to use! Can't beat that!!

Inka chicken down the street really is delicious, and I've been to Peru! I wish the food we had in Peru was as good as Inka Chicken!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DoriumLux
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed at the Coqui del mar last August 2011 and love the place so much that we're returning for a second visit August 2012!!! Feels like home away from home. Relaxed atmosphere, cozy rooms, and beach within arms reach! Lovely Noida and Neal are very helpful with any questions you might have regarding "things to do" and a very pleasant people! We loved that we were able to take the bus into San Juan, and travel around like the locals. The beach is so peaceful and quiet, but if you like a more populated area it's only a walks away!!! Plenty of local eateries within walking distance. Give the local beer a try as well, "Medallas" yum! Could easily make this a repeat stay for years to come!

• Stayed: August 2011
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Coqui del Mar Guest House? Share your experiences!