Coqui del Mar Guest House
US$177
US$111
  • Pool
El Canario by the Lagoon(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$241
US$459
US$306
  • Pool
All reviewsinca chickenboogie boardshome away from homegas grillapple tvdouble showerhot tubpuerto ricofull kitchenbeach chairsocean parkold san juangracious hostsminute walkperfect place to stayliving roomrental car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Noyda and Neal were great !!! It was our first time in San Juan and we had lot's of questions that were answered more then happily !! Room was clean and very well stocked including coffee for a couple days and plenty of filters ! kit. stocked well with utensils and pans, we didn't have any problems cooking .grounds were very well kept and it felt like we weren't surround by a ton of other people. quiet neighborhood with grocery store and several restaurants within walking distance,. bus stop just a couple blocks away beach just a half a block away ...Can't say enough about the great service we received !!!!

Andy and Barb

p.s. thanks again to Noyda and Neal for making our stay so great !! would have been lost without your help :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babsjam2001
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked last minute, as our travel plans had changed due to weather- Noyda helped us understand travel times and options to and from the two San Juan airports, even before decided to book at Coqui. We were so glad we did! The room was clean and bed very comfortable, and the jacuzzi soothed our travel-worn muscles. She even upgraded us to El Cangrejo, which made us feel even more welcome. We'd planned on staying at Tres Palmas Inn, which we did on our return trip through San Juan, and preferred Coqui del Mar. The jacuzzi at Coqui is ample but feels intimate,and is not overly chlorinated (that's a good thing in my book:) Tres Palmes is right on the beach, but Coqui is one block off the beach and we could hear the coqui frogs better. I can't speak for the other rooms, but between #5 at Tres Palmes and El Cangrejo, Coqui definitely was preferable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank m0i123
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We went to Puerto Rico to volunteer at Save a Sato, a dog rescue shelter in the area, and they recommended Coquí del Mar to us. I agree with the review that said if you are looking for a five star hotel you should go elsewhere, but this is by no means a put down of Coquí del Mar. The rooms are super clean, the beach is a block away, and the management and the owner are friendly and go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. I have stayed in two different rooms and the beds were really comfortable. I've never stayed at a hotel where they were so genuinely interested in their guests. You don't find a place like this very often!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed in the Cangrejo room and it was very comfortable. Noyda and Neal were very pleasant and the room was clean and neat. Nice and quiet at night with good access to old San Juan and the downtown by bus. Restaurants and grocery within walking distance and the beach is a block away.

Room Tip: The website describes the various rooms. From what we could tell, they are all nice but different sizes and equipped differently. The Jacuzzi was not working when we were there.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tulieguy
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed here a few months ago and have been meaning to write a review. I reserved El Coqui for 3 nights. The room was a bit smaller than anticipated and the toilet/shower combo is not ideal if you are a couple who likes privacy on the toilet. The toilet/shower door is literally an etched glass shower door making it impossible to keep odors within that space. Also, the steam from the shower makes the etched glass see through...this can be very entertaining actually :).
Unfortunately I only stayed 1 night in El Coqui because I have a bad back and felt the bed was too hard. Noyda was extremely helpful and brought me a comforter hoping it would create some softness but it was not enough. I e-mailed the owner (Rob) and even though I reserved the room for 3 nights, he did not charge any fee's when I asked if I could check out after the 1st night. While packing up, Noyda offered me to stay in El Cangrejo, she mentioned that a previous guest complained that the bed was too soft so they had placed a few boards under the mattress to stiffen it up. She removed the boards and offered me the room at no additional cost. I decided to accept and glad I did because I fell in-love with the entire environment in el Coqui del Mar. El Cangrejo has a beautiful large bathroom with one of those high tech showers that steams. I was able to also enjoy the property and jacuzzi outside. Previous reviews say that they heard a lot of dogs barking at night, I heard none all 3 nights. My stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend this place. The location is out of the tourist area but I felt it was in a safe with plenty of places to park. The beach there was not ideal as I saw lots of rocks but not sure if I would have found a better location for swimming if I kept walking. I also was very impressed by Rob's interest in my "hard-bed" situation. He wrote me to tell me that he was going to invest in some foam bed toppers for guests who prefer a softer bed. I thought that was very considerate of him. Overall this was a great stay due to the hospitality, genuine interest and flexibility of the Rob and Noyda.

Room Tip: If you are a couple who likes privacy in the bathroom I would not suggest the economy room el coqui.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends