“Overrated.”

Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: At Dragonfly's, our candlelit atmosphere is calming and provides for intimate spaces within the restaurant. Our romantic restaurant serves plenty of vegetarian and meat dishes and has two dining areas, a lounge, and two bars. We also offer our customers a communal noodle bar. Dragonfly's sexy, ruby red, and gold interior is transporting and designed to resemble an old opium den in tropical Asia.
Sacramento, CA
“Overrated.”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stumbled in here while traveling with another couple. We thought the decor and ambience looked inviting and like a nice place to have dinner and drinks.

While the people were nice, it just wasn't worth the price, etc.

We sat off to the side of the bar area so the bartender was attending to us. He made us our initial drinks and brought out our food, but other than that he never came back to check on us, nor did he offer to refill any drinks. He just came, took our plates and empty glasses and disappeared.

Next, the food. When we ordered, the server kept telling us the food was "family style" so we thought why don't each of us order a dish and share? Well... let's just say each plate was like one bite of food per person. And we are talking like $22 for one sushi roll.

We had lettuce wraps which were pretty good, but they didn't even provide enough lettuce and it was wilted.

We had some pork belly thing that could have been good if it wasn't tough like beef jerky. Literally.

Everything else was forgettable and we were all still totally hungry. We spent a good $100 there and while we were leaving, I said, "So where are we going for dinner?" It was basically a tourist trap.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank BonitaLanita
Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for letting me know about your experience. While I'm glad you appreciated our ambiance, I'm sorry you were underwhelmed with your meal. I agree that our server should've explained our menu more properly to you. Rather than large entrees, we serve many small plates that are best shared in a group. That way, every person can try a variety of delicious dishes. Our server should've let you know the appropriate amount of dishes to order for two people. We'll be sure to use your feedback to better serve our guests going forward.

Worcester, Massachusetts
“Dragonfly, ambiance and excellence”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Dragonfly is one of the restaurants owned by the OOF group. They are conveniently located right at Plaza Colon, where the taxis come in and out of OSJ. Most of them have outdoor seating and are very tastefully decorated without having any pretense. If you are looking for a sure thing, visiting any one of these would be a great experience. We tried most of them. When you enter the space, you will quickly be transported into a sexy, intimately lit room that is buzzing with a great vibe. The space is dark and alluring, complimented by a menu that is varied, but small, so there is something to tantalize everyone's preferences.

The manager, Violeta was so energetic and caring about our experience and our server, Francisco was so attentive and certainly knowledgeable about how to create a fantastic dining experience. We were with friends that we had not seen in 20 years, so we were not very efficient with getting on with our order and we felt very accommodated and not rushed at all. Actually it was quite the opposite. We felt like we were in our own dining room. We tried the Dragonfire (if I recall) Martinis and they were mixed well and the heat was delicately balanced with all the other flavors. Dragonfly is similar to a tapas experience, where there are dishes that are meant to be shared. We had the Peking Duck Nachos wasabi sour cream, Flor de Atun, Pork y Amarillo Dumplings, and for dessert White Chocolate Napoleon. Everything was perfectly prepared and outstanding. One bite after the next was delicious. The Flor de Atun was a little difficult for me to eat, because the crispy fried sushi rice tostadas were harder in texture than the tuna sashimi. It was a little too juxtaposed for me, but very enjoyable in taste. The dishes are also plated very well, raising the expectation of what everything will taste like. We were satiated. The food was amazing! So amazing that we returned after a couple days for our last dinner in Puerto Rico. We ate in the other section, Dragonfly II. Which I will review separately.

• Visited November 2013
Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you so much for your kind recommendation. I'm so glad you experienced an alluring and energetic ambiance from the moment you arrived. From our inviting atmosphere to our attentive service, we strive to offer our guests a special and memorable experience. I'll be sure to pass along your kind message to Violeta, Francisco and the rest of the team.

Looking forward to your next visit!

California, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Its just a simple drive by”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I had my journeys through San Juan, im still on it with my list. I passed by through the place called The Parrot Club, stood there for awhile, but almost on the corner i saw this place. As i entered through the door i decided to sit at the bar because i was by myself. It didnt thrilled me to stay it was wierdly uncomfortable. I finished my drink and decided to sit at a table. The server was a female, i forgot her name, she was attentive. The food was great, i took all of her recomendations. Even though the low mein was not very good, it felt oily, i decided to eat it because i was still hungry like a pig. I had my food with two
different cocktails, i changed it to a beer; the drinks wasnt filling. The decor it was interesting. I thought i was going to hang out more but i just decided to keep moving where i could have fun. I finish with a dessert called lava cake. It was really good. I believe the dessert was the only good thing.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Dyorkk
Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us. While I'm glad you experienced friendly service and enjoyed the lava cake, I'm sorry your overall experience was mixed. Besides the lo main, what can we do to improve? I appreciate your feedback and hope to hear back from you soon.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Inventive cuisine”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

We loved this place. Some of the best cocktails and sushi rolls. The coconut shrimp were amazing! The atmosphere is really nice and chic. Fun dinner and great food!

Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thanks so much! It's really nice to know you thought the coconut shrimp were amazing. I hope you had a wonderful time in San Juan, and I look forward to your next visit.

Tampa, Florida
“Rocking Bar”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

A taxi driver told me about where to find cool places by looking up on this page.So i went to Dragonfly.
The perfect place is at the bar. Loved it. I was upstairs and went to the bathroom, on my way i saw another bar and there was a hottie. I dont want to offend her but its true. Her name its Angie is a bar to go. I ended my night at her bar, it was busy but she smiled all the way and even had time to make jokes with me. I tried the Dragonfire and it was out of this world. I told her to make another one that wasnt on the menu, and it took a sec to think about it, it was out of this world as well, she still owes me the name of that one, she should put my name. By the way the she offered me the Boricua Roll and is must to eat. I felt the she was more than a bartender, she was talking like a friend. Dragonfly is really homecoming.

Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thanks for recommending us, Glen! It's nice to know you thought our bar rocked, and I'll be sure to let Angie know you appreciated her thoughtful and attentive service. She'll be happy to know that she wasn't just a bartender, but also a friend. Hope you get a chance to visit again soon!