“For the lack of business, the service was terrible”
Review of Ropa Vieja Grill

Ropa Vieja Grill
Ranked #32 of 1,007 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Cuban, Puerto Rican
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Orlando, Florida, United States
“For the lack of business, the service was terrible”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Food was hit or miss. However, they weren't very accommodating at Ropa Vieja. For example, a person in our party asked for one of the dressings on the menu that was on a different salad than she was ordering. Our server told her that that dressing was not available. When she asked what dressings were…she got an unqualified, "Oil and Vinegar are the only option." If you're looking for authentic Puerto Rican food, you can find it here, but you may find it a bit overpriced, not as good, and not served with a smile.

Visited November 2013

Phoenix, Arizona
“Eat here”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stumbled into this place because the smell of the food was enticing as we explored the area beyond our hotel and the people inside looked normal, like perhaps locals, and there wasn't a wait. The food, though, was very good! We were tired from a long day of travel and did not feel
Iike dressing up to "fit in" at the nice places in our hotel, but not tired enough to eat at Denny's this far from home. As such, we would have been happy with a meal half this tasty. But, the flavors were outstanding and the selection was so immense that we may have to return for another meal.

If you go, be sure to order a bowl of the black bean soup. This place got the seasonings right!!! The vaca frita a la Cubana was the best I have had since I used to stop at a great little hole-in-the-wall in Hialeah decades ago. (Dish is like ropa vieja, but then fried to give it a delicious crispy edge). My dinner date had a shrimp dish with a Puerto Rican sauce. He said it was good, but he was jealous of my beef. There was a bit of a language barrier, as the local Spanish is very fast. But, our sever was patient with us and we managed to get food and drinks we enjoyed.

• Visited November 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“The Best PR Food! Yet Weird Service.”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

They had the best Caribbean food I have had - a well marinated flank steak with awesome beans & rice. The cheese flan was absolutely awesome. I loved the food and would absolutely return. The service was odd. Seated but the door host, I bet he was the owners son. He brought us our first drinks. Water was constantly filled by various 'boys'. Appetizer order taken by the door host, delivered by another 'boy' . Entree order was taken by another waiter, served by another 'boy'. Further drink orders fulfilled by door host. Dessert order taken and fulfilled by door host. Check presented and picked up by who I presume to be the owner. Never saw the entree waiter again. The service left me feeling completely confused about who was taking care of me. But again - the food was so good! I will go back because the food made the service irrelevant, yet it was still very odd.

Visited November 2013
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
“Excellent”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We walked to this restaurant from our hotel (Laconcha) in just a few minutes. It was highly recommended from the locals and they did not disappoint. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. My water glass never got empty. Our food came out quickly and was delicious. There was a large selection of food items so it was hard to choose what to get but what we chose was delicious. The prices were reasonable.

Visited October 2013
Houston, Texas
“strange food”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

It took about 2 hours to have lunch. Luckily we had the time. There was another table of about 8 who had to chase down their check and complained loudly. I ordered a Caesar salad with chicken. The chicken and croutons were very and overly salty. There was no dressing on the salad so I don't see how it was a Caesar. The chicken was thinly sliced and blanketed the lettuce. After putting the hot and overcooked chicken over the lettuce, it wilted it. My lunch partner had the cabrito and loved it. The place seems to be owned by a father and son who were very attentive. The wine list was good. We were able to get a good Spanish white.