“Great meal”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Not sure how we wound up here, but took some family out to eat while we were visiting in PR. Everyone enjoyed their meal (steaks, chicken and mofongo).

Service was very good (including at the bar where we had a drink while waiting for our family). It's a fun restaurant with a good atmosphere.

The menu is extensive and there is a nice selection of wine too. We would definitely return to this restaurant when we are back in Condado.

They offer FREE valet parking too! OMG! You do not find that in San Juan! (Sure wish I had known before I parked in a pay lot :-(

There are newer reviews for Ropa Vieja Grill

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Food was hit or miss. However, they weren't very accommodating at Ropa Vieja. For example, a person in our party asked for one of the dressings on the menu that was on a different salad than she was ordering. Our server told her that that dressing was not available. When she asked what dressings were…she got an unqualified, "Oil and Vinegar are the only option." If you're looking for authentic Puerto Rican food, you can find it here, but you may find it a bit overpriced, not as good, and not served with a smile.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stumbled into this place because the smell of the food was enticing as we explored the area beyond our hotel and the people inside looked normal, like perhaps locals, and there wasn't a wait. The food, though, was very good! We were tired from a long day of travel and did not feel
Iike dressing up to "fit in" at the nice places in our hotel, but not tired enough to eat at Denny's this far from home. As such, we would have been happy with a meal half this tasty. But, the flavors were outstanding and the selection was so immense that we may have to return for another meal.

If you go, be sure to order a bowl of the black bean soup. This place got the seasonings right!!! The vaca frita a la Cubana was the best I have had since I used to stop at a great little hole-in-the-wall in Hialeah decades ago. (Dish is like ropa vieja, but then fried to give it a delicious crispy edge). My dinner date had a shrimp dish with a Puerto Rican sauce. He said it was good, but he was jealous of my beef. There was a bit of a language barrier, as the local Spanish is very fast. But, our sever was patient with us and we managed to get food and drinks we enjoyed.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

They had the best Caribbean food I have had - a well marinated flank steak with awesome beans & rice. The cheese flan was absolutely awesome. I loved the food and would absolutely return. The service was odd. Seated but the door host, I bet he was the owners son. He brought us our first drinks. Water was constantly filled by various 'boys'. Appetizer order taken by the door host, delivered by another 'boy' . Entree order was taken by another waiter, served by another 'boy'. Further drink orders fulfilled by door host. Dessert order taken and fulfilled by door host. Check presented and picked up by who I presume to be the owner. Never saw the entree waiter again. The service left me feeling completely confused about who was taking care of me. But again - the food was so good! I will go back because the food made the service irrelevant, yet it was still very odd.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We walked to this restaurant from our hotel (Laconcha) in just a few minutes. It was highly recommended from the locals and they did not disappoint. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. My water glass never got empty. Our food came out quickly and was delicious. There was a large selection of food items so it was hard to choose what to get but what we chose was delicious. The prices were reasonable.