“Lots of good cuban / puerto rican food!”
Review of Ropa Vieja Grill

Ropa Vieja Grill
Ranked #33 of 1,046 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Food was very good. Enjoyed the "ropa vieja con mofongo". Very well served, I almost couldn't eat it all !

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We took the advice of a local and had a wonderful dinner here. I had the Red Snapper and my husband had Skirt Steak. Delicious and great service. Tasty Sangria, too.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Not sure how we wound up here, but took some family out to eat while we were visiting in PR. Everyone enjoyed their meal (steaks, chicken and mofongo).

Service was very good (including at the bar where we had a drink while waiting for our family). It's a fun restaurant with a good atmosphere.

The menu is extensive and there is a nice selection of wine too. We would definitely return to this restaurant when we are back in Condado.

They offer FREE valet parking too! OMG! You do not find that in San Juan! (Sure wish I had known before I parked in a pay lot :-(

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Food was hit or miss. However, they weren't very accommodating at Ropa Vieja. For example, a person in our party asked for one of the dressings on the menu that was on a different salad than she was ordering. Our server told her that that dressing was not available. When she asked what dressings were…she got an unqualified, "Oil and Vinegar are the only option." If you're looking for authentic Puerto Rican food, you can find it here, but you may find it a bit overpriced, not as good, and not served with a smile.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stumbled into this place because the smell of the food was enticing as we explored the area beyond our hotel and the people inside looked normal, like perhaps locals, and there wasn't a wait. The food, though, was very good! We were tired from a long day of travel and did not feel
Iike dressing up to "fit in" at the nice places in our hotel, but not tired enough to eat at Denny's this far from home. As such, we would have been happy with a meal half this tasty. But, the flavors were outstanding and the selection was so immense that we may have to return for another meal.

If you go, be sure to order a bowl of the black bean soup. This place got the seasonings right!!! The vaca frita a la Cubana was the best I have had since I used to stop at a great little hole-in-the-wall in Hialeah decades ago. (Dish is like ropa vieja, but then fried to give it a delicious crispy edge). My dinner date had a shrimp dish with a Puerto Rican sauce. He said it was good, but he was jealous of my beef. There was a bit of a language barrier, as the local Spanish is very fast. But, our sever was patient with us and we managed to get food and drinks we enjoyed.