“Location was beautiful, town was friendly”

Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort
“Location was beautiful, town was friendly”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

upon arrival the staff was very helpful and friendly, check in was smooth. We had heard to request ahead a higher foor with an ocean view, that is exactly what we got, they were very accomodating. The balcony on the 8th floor faced east and we could see san juan and el yunque rain forrest in the distance. we watched the sunrise every morning. Don't forget, you are on an island, so the building was older, the jack in the wall of our phone did not work, they came immediatly to look at it, but were unable to fix it, so, we had no phone....we were there for a holiday weekend and ran short on clean towels...I walked down to the desk to request some towels and a maintainance person brought one up within 5 minutes.. the beach was beautiful and was enclosed by breaker rocks, the pools were tiered and one ran down into the other... public beach was about 5 miles east if you want to check out local flavor....many food/drink places "huts" along the road where you park. There is a casino on site and a golf course. It is still united states, so, cvs and walgreens baskinrobbins right up the road. Downtown (about a 2 mile walk) had a town square with a statue of an Indian, spaniard and african....serveral other statues placed around the town, talked with the locals, gave us history of Dorado (gold)...location was nice...not very touristy, but close enough to the attractions...about 30 minutes to san juan (provided traffic was moving) and about 1 hour to arecibo where the big dish and sunken caves are....It took us about 2 hours to ponce via rt 10......get the speed pass...it is well worth it, oh and, stay within the speed limit......

Room Tip: ask or write ahead requesting a high foor with ocean (east) view, we were on the 8th floor, beautif...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank rainbowribbon2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
chicago
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The pool and grounds were beautiful. But the timeshare was run down, missing essentials and the repairs made were very poor. The beach, though small and public, was nice. It sits on more of a lagoon (man-made reefs) and if you go out over your knees, it is all seagrass so swimming was a bit out of the question. Our timeshare had a balcony which was very nice; all personnel were very nice; food around the pool was good. Casino within 50 yards. Lobby was uninviting and smelled of bug spray.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank boogyp
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We had a one week stay @ this property in March. On the positive side, it has a decent pool (shared with the Embassy Suites next door), a great hot tub, and a good location (easy access to San Juan, north coast beaches & shopping, and the Toro Negro Forest) & caring staff. On the negative side, the property shows its age (dated decor, slow elevators, poorly equipped timeshare units) and has spotty housekeeping.
I don't agree with those who are critical of the WIFI service! Its free, after all, & all you need to do is to go to the lobby to use it! Many resorts charge $20 per day for WIFI. During our stay, AQV was advertising in USA Today rooms for $89! Parking is $10.70 per day, but was waived for II exchanges. I challenge anyone to find better value in the Dorado area.

Room Tip: - ask for a renovated room on the main floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Antonio8069
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Okay, hotel the room was clean, yes there was a mold problem, but I believe it was because of the hotel being directly on the beach, you'd have the same problem no matter what hotel your in.My biggest complaint was if we wanted to use the internet service we had to sit in the chairs in the lobby,I wouldn't have minded so much, if they at least had tables for us to put our laptops on,but we had to sit there with them on our laps.one day we came back to our room and the cleaning lady had taken the dirty towels but didn't leave clean ones so we had to go to the front desk and ask for them, they brought them up right away,also had to ask for wash clothes oh yes and the phones in most the rooms did not work at all also the safe did not work.other then that great view, beautiful pool, nice clean beach and we felt safe in and around the neighborhood, one other complaint Do not ask the front desk for info about where to eat or site seeing, best bet ask a local or a cab driver they we're more helpful. all in all a great place if your just looking for a place to sleep and spend your days outside.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mankrandall
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Dear Reader,

I would highly advise choosing another resort for your vacation. Here is why:

#1 THEY HAVE A SEVERE PROBLEM WITH MOLD IN THE ROOMS. I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite on the fourth floor. (Rooms 2456-2458). The first thing we noticed when we walked in was an over powering dank smell. Sure enough after one night of sleeping in the room, we woke up with congestion problems. My boyfriend and I wondered why we felt so sick and noticed that there were GREEN MOLD spores growing rampid on the wooden suitcase stand in the closet. In addition, there was also BLACK MOLD covering the hair dryer in the bathroom. And MORE BLACK MOLD in the standup shower.

We immediately contacted the front desk. The lady at the desk took the suit case rack and called the maid to come into our room to do a "deep cleaning". When we came back later that afternoon the room smelled cleaner, like it had been bleached. So we figured it was ok.

By the fourth day into our vacation, the smell had returned. And we still were waking up every morning with respiratory and breathing problems. We then took a pillow out of it's pillowcase and noticed BLACK MOLD growing on the pillow. Needless to say we stopped sleeping with the pilows.

The last day of our trip, I went to pack up my things. I pulled out a purse, that I had stored in the closet, and when I picked it up there was GREEN MOLD covering the entire bottom. It had only been sitting there for 7 days and it was covered!

The other problem was that room never seemed to be dry. There was always this damp feeling in the carpet, in our clothes, in the sheets, and in the air. Even with the AC pumped, it never dried out. My theory is they have problem with ventilation and the mold is also gathering in the AC vents so it makes very hard to stay clean, thus we were sick every day.

#2 They also did not clean our rooms everyday. We unfortunately had to call every other day to remind them to clean.

#3 The location is not situated in a convenient area. We drove about an hour to 3 hours to any of the sites. On a good day it took us 45 min to get to San Juan. On a bad day, 1 hour and 15 minutes due to traffic. Rincon is about 2 and half hours away. And you will definitely be driving, just to get to the closest food spot because the resort is located behind the golf course which is about a 5 min drive/15 min walk just to get out of the area.

#4 There was trash on the beach. And also trash on the pool grounds, such as in the fountains and other garden areas. It seemed as thoug the resort neglected to keep these areas clean.

*On the upside, the one good thing I will say is that the people at the front desk seemed very helpful. When we asked for directions or recommendations they were happy to be of service. But in conclusion, I will not be staying at this resort again. And do not recomend it to anyone who wants a healthy and enjoyable vacation experience.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms before you stay in one.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Michelle B
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I am sorry that I chose this place for my stay. We had to fight for washcloths, there is a bad odor, something bit me in the bed all night and the upkeep is far from kept up (the sign is half lit, there was rust all over the fixtures in our suite, etc). We went to another hotel and paid the daily rate to hang at the pool and beach-if that's a sign. The pay-per-view didn't work the entire time. There is such a horrible echo that we put the radio on static just to sleep. Just yuck.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanna B
luisnazario2004, General Manager at Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Good Afternoon

Before anything i want to apologize for whatever inconvenience this may have caused. What is important to me is that i would like for you to give us another chance. I verified the guest log in reference to your request for wash cloth and there was only one request and it was completed imediately. I went to your room to check the status and what is somewhat bewildering is that the room has new matresses and it was recently painted. The utensils in your room had no rust as well. Once again,. What is important to me is that if you are so kind and ever decide to return to Puerto rico, that you give us another chance. In the three months that i have been here at Aquarius there has been a significant change in service and in the quality of our resort over all. Please contact me. I would love to speak with you and invite you back. Once again thank you for staying with us and i truley hope that you will give us another chance. Kind Regards Luis NazarioGeneral Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed at the Aquarius Vacation Club in early November. I was very fearful of going after reading the reviews. I was assured by Interval that they had a new manager and were in the later stages of a renovation. Although it is not a 4 star resort, I was greatly releaved upon arrival and had a pleasant stay.

First the good points. The service was excellent. Arrival and departure took only minutes. We were missing a wine opener and as promised it was delivered in 5 minutes. We had a minor repair and as promised it was taken care of immediately. The outside of the building was freshly painted and the pool area and beach were very nice. Our room was just painted, the beds were new, and we had new carpeting. The unit had the time-share conveniences--two bedrooms, full kitchen, washer dryer, dinning area and sitting area with sofa chairs and a TV. Each bedroom also had a TV's. Prior to arrival we asked for an ocean view and we were given one. Our unit and the total facilities were clean. The clientele were mainly families from the Island, and older couples (of course younger people and mainlanders were also there). Therefore, it was quite--no drunks, etc.

Now the negatives. The facility is somewhat dated. Although all the appliances worked there was some rust on the refrigerator. There was also some rust around the windows. (I know we were in the tropics on the ocean.) The TV's were old and need to be replaced. There was no amenities inside the hotel/time-share. That we not a problem for us. Aquarius shares the outside amenities with the Embassy Suites. If you want a hotel bar or restaurant you can simple walk 50 yards.

Because of the age of the resort, lack of amenities inside the building, old TV's, etc., I cannot rate it higher then 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view on an upper floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pznc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Aquarius Vacation Club
Aquarius Vacation Club
#1 of 5 in Boqueron
Comfort Inn & Suites Levittown
Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar

Been to Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!