Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Aquarius is a very clean timeshare resort. We went for two nights and are planning to return for more. the property is not too old, but wear and tear can be easily appreciated. Units are very clean and everything works perfectly. Both the bedrrom and living rooms are comfortable and spacious. The sofa and chair were very uncomfortable because of intense use. That means, A/C, fridge, jacuzzi, water heater, stove, and microwave. All the bathroom fixture seem to have been replaced recently. TVs are the tube ones and there are only 36 channels including local ones. The place seems safe and check in/out were as fast and efficient as one can expect. The front desk personnel always answered our requests promptly and with a sincere smile. The pool restaurant closes at 4 pm but it fulfills the purpose of providing poolside service during the day. Breakfast at the Members Club is good and served with special attention. It is a little bit far from the lobby but it takes you away from the crowds while eating breakfast. Parking is adequate and close enough to the hotel entrance. Dorado del Mar is a resort commuity with wonderful golf facilities. If you visit and like golf, come prepared to enjoy. The Japanese restaurant serves awesome oriental dishes at reasonable prices. The personnel is attentive and very corteous. If your are planning a trip this way, choose Aquarius, I hope you have my same experience. The resort is very close to many local and national (US) restaurants and stores.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the east if possible. That however will give you a strong sunshine...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pedro T

Reviewed 13 December 2012

I would stay here again. Rooms are nice. Pool is always cleaned, the beach is footsteps away. This a great place for relaxing. Security is always on sitw Overall a great place to stay....The bad reviews don't listen to it...They are bogus for making accusations , like that..... .................. .

• Stayed: December 2012
8  Thank Msrite4u2
luisnazario2004, General Manager at Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us. Always remember you have a home away from home here in Aquarius Vacation Club in Dorado. See you soon!!!

Reviewed 23 November 2012

I am writing about our nightmarish experience at the Aquarius vacation club in El Dorado Puerto Rico so that others can learn lessons from our terrible experience. On the night of our arrival, we went for a walk around the premises around 10:30pm. Upon returning to the room at around 12:00 am, it was discovered that a number of items were stolen from our room. The thieves took the following:
MacBook Computer, iPhone 4S, ipod nano, coach handbag, David Yurman Blue Topaz and Diamond Ring, $80 cash, my license and credit cards, Ray Ban sunglasses, a pair of Ugg Boots, a North Face Backpack containing medical notes and textbooks, as well as personal health forms with social security numbers, etc. The personal forms contained information that could be used for identity theft in the future, including his social security number.
Total Value: Approx $4,200
(not including the invaluable, irreplaceable items)
As per the night guard, the robbery occurred at the end of the other security guard’s shift, during which a supervisor and another security guard were on duty. When security was contacted, we described the situation. The safe did not have a key. In order to get the key, you would have had to go downstairs to security (whoever targeted us knew this was our first night, knew we had no key, and knew when we left our room) Secondly, the macbook, bags, etc did not fit into the small safe provided to us. At this point, we had a weird feeling about the security guard on duty. He refused to make eye contact and continued to blame us for what had happened by stating that we probably left the door open. How ridiculous!!
The police were called and we gave our statement, verbal and written. When we spoke with the night guard, about having our room changed to a place with security cameras, we were told that we could not because the Aquarius was not interchangeable with the connected Embassy Suites, where security cameras are on every floor.
Later that night, unable to sleep, we went for a walk out to the main bar area by the pool. The security guard came up to us and told us that this had happened a week prior, also between shifts, but in the morning shift. He stated that these robberies are an inside job!
The following evening, the head of security came to our room. He proceeded to tell us that this had never happened before. When we said that we knew that it had happened the week prior, he asked who had told us that and said that it was a lie. Rather than showing empathy or apologizing, he brushed off our complaints and concerns and continued to tell us that there would be an investigation and that he would follow up with us.
In the following days, we continued to reach out to security (not once did they approach us with updates), and they continued to report that nothing had been found and there were no new updates but that they were still “investigating." On the day we were to leave, my boyfriend and I made one final plea to the head of security. At this time, we explained to him that we had a picture of the home where my iPhone was located. He immediately changed his demeanor, aggressively asking us to let him look at it. It further confirmed our suspicion that he was likely involved.
This entire vacation was a disaster. The lack of empathy, respect, and professionalism shown to us on our stay was unacceptable. The negligence in terms of safety and security is unacceptable. The refusal to let us change rooms to a hotel with security cameras meant we spent our entire vacation worried about being robbed again.
It is now late November and we still have no response. We do, however, have a huge phone bill because there was no wireless internet on premises, so I needed to use excessive roaming charges in order to find phone numbers, to cancel the stolen credit cards, locate my iphone, etc.
To this day, Aquarius claims that they’re waiting for the police to investigate. They know the iphone location given to them via the app ”find my phone” AND the IP address from the computer (oh yeah, they tried to hack my gmail) and yet no justice has been done. Unfortunately, in my opinion, even in the face of grossly negligent security lapses at this hotel, they refuse compensate us in any way for our losses. Just read some other blogs about this hotel and saw that the same thing has happened to many others!!
WHAT A DISSAPPOINTMENT. SHAME ON YOU AQUARIUS! DO NOT GO HERE!!

-Steph R.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Steph R
luisnazario2004, General Manager at Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

It is the first time something like this occurs in our property. That is why we are taking all the measures with the local authorities to make sure all goes in accordance to Puerto rico Law. My Security Manager is working very hard so that we can get to the bottom of this. Aquarius vacation club has a commitment with all its guests. To be in a fun and most importantly safe environment. Please give us the oportunity to make the investigation with the local police who are in jurisdiction. As i mentioned in our meeting, this was passed on to our adjusters who will contact you.

A situation as this one can bring a bad taste not only to a guest, but to us as well.
In the name of Aquarius Vacation Club i give you my most sincere apologies. There was no evidence to show any type of wrongful entry. We have always had 24 hour Security in our property and it remains this way.

My apologies once again..

Reviewed 22 November 2012

I'm happy to say that my second stay at Acuarius VC was a very satisfying one. I found many improvements in the service especially front desk employee were well dressed, they greeted us with a smile Jennifer was especially helpful, not only the staff has improved but also the appearance in the green areas and the lobby....wow spotless. Although we had a missunderstanding with reservations Mr. LUIS NAZARIO very willingly to meet our standards, he was helpful and very professional, in my personal opinion I would return any time soon. Please take in consideration an update in the furniture, its a shame that all other areas have improved and the furniture is faded. Thank you so much Acuarius Vacation club Dorado staff..

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Pharahona

Thank you so much for returning to your home away from home... See you again very soon!!

Reviewed 20 November 2012

The lobby is very nice and well kept however once you step into the room you've gone through a portal that takes you back to the 80's. I called before my arrival and was told that wi-fi was available in the lobby only. I wouldn't mind sitting in the lobby, however the young female at the front desk informed me that there was no wi-fi because they were having spotty service and she did not expect the problem to be resolved any time soon. Disconnecting from life outside the island would not be so bad, at least that is what I thought until I headed outside. The property sits on the beach that apparently is used as a dump site. Glass, cigarettes, plastic you name it, its on that beach - absolutely filthy disgusting. Thank goodness we rented a car!!!! Nice beaches are about 40 min drive.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jacky T

Thank you so much for your input. I am happy to inform that we corrected the WIFI issue in the property. We are also working very hard in bringing the hotel where it needs to be in terms of furnishings in the guestrooms..

I have no doubt that if you visit us again you will see the upgrades i am mentioniing... See you soon and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

This is a timeshare resort where's members pay a lot for maintainance and as a member I'm asking where's going all that money?
Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado is filthy; kitchen settings were incomplete, sink was plugged, tv's are old, sofabed was so worn out that it should be placed at the dump and bedding was old and with stains.
Housekeeping is a mess. On Sunday, I asked at the front desk if the unit would be cleaned on Monday because I was for a 7 day stay, but was told that they do cleaning on Tuesday. I went out on Sunday and returned on Tuesday at 12:30 PM, the 2 bedroom unit was not cleaned, so I went to the front desk and complained about it because I returned with different guests. The girl at the front guest was rude and insisted that housekeeping was done, when we returned from lunch, beds were changed and garbage was collected but neither the bathrooms nor the bedrooms were cleaned.
If someone should be saved at the front desk staff, it will be Nancy, she was very nice and helpful.
Advices to WE Management: you need a new manager or better supervision.

Room Tip: Ask for the pool side, third floor up; if not you're going to be stuck with a parking lot and co...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank trisi

Thank you for your input. Reviews as this one helps us as a company to better.

Thank you once again..

Reviewed 10 November 2012

We traded for a 2 bedroom unit through Interval International with a Friday to Friday stay. Prior to checking in I called and spoke to Jaime regarding 2 things: First, my concerns about the other reviews I have read here on TripAdvisor and second, to request a room on the 8th floor (as suggested by other reviewers). Jaimes assurred me we would enjoy our stay and would put a note with our request.

Since pictures speak a thousand words I have attached 4. Keep in mind, we did not arrive until Saturday at 11:30 pm. The condo had two days to prepare our room and this is what we arrived to see. The security guard got us a 2BR unit on the sixth floor and, not to our surprise, it was missing a VCR, stereo, and only had kitchen settings for 2!

The next morning I made my displeasure know to the front desk and while I appreciated the call back from Carmen, the Housekeeping Supervisor, Luis Nazario Vazquez, the resort manager, did not call me back after two requests. So Mr. Vazquez perhaps you can explain that to your boss.

The grounds and pool were beautiful and shared by the Embassy Suites. Probably a much better choice of the two if you don't need the space or privacy. In addition, this is the first time there was ever a charge for parking...over $10 per day. Needless to say, Carmen was able to take care of that.

Our itinerary was so packed the only thing we did was sleep in the room so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Room Tip: Try asking for the 8th floor facing the pool...good luck.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Flyerman72
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Aquarius Vacation Club
Aquarius Vacation Club
#1 of 4 in Boqueron
Comfort Inn & Suites Levittown
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar

Been to Aquarius Vacation Club at Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!