“A great afternoon adventure”

Tropical Adventures
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Dorado
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: TRANSPORTATION AVAILABLE FROM SAN JUAN AND VICINITIES. This halfday Zipline adventure lets the participants discover the breathtaking scenery of rural Puerto Rico while they learn about our culture and history mixed with nature and adventure. Finca La Plata Eco Farm is located near the town of Toa Alta which is only a short 25 minute drive from San Juan and 10 minutes from the town of Dorado. This amazing place which was used for agriculture and horses is now being reforested and has become a sanctuary for all kinds of wildlife. La Plata combines tropical forest, creeks, open grasslands where we confectionate unique and personalized tours for all our participants. Contact us today to book your adventure and live a new and refreshing experience which will most certainly let you discover Puerto Rico in a fun and exhilarating way. Includes ziplines, canopy bridge, hiking, swimming in refreshing natural pools and river trekking. Your guides will also explain about the environmental, cultural and historic aspects of Puerto Rico. (This tour is perfect for families with children and first timers). BY RESERVATION ONLY.
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This was a great afternoon adventure for my husband and myself. First of all, we have never zip lined, and for our first time out , Alfonso went over all his credentials, training, the reliability of the equipment to reassure us that we would be safe today!

Our outing not only included the zip line, but also some hiking, instructions on three micro ecosystems, and swimming in a mineral spring!

They included some fresh fruit and drinks, a rustic ch
anging room and took LOADS of pictures for us. Thanks Caesar and Alfonso!

1  Thank Yonkmanc

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We went on this tour from one of the cruise ships that ported in San Juan for the day. Communication was excellent and our guides picked us up right on time. They were friendly and courteous, telling us about the island and various sites on our way to the course.
However, the course itself fell short of what we were expecting. I had asked Alfonso via email how many zips there were, but he never answered that question directly. I guess I should have pressed the issue, because once we arrived we discovered there were only 3 ziplines plus a short bridge. For $99 a person (plus tax and tip), we were expecting a bigger course.
I DID appreciate that our guides took numerous pictures of us with our camera for free. Looking back at the photos, we did have a good time. The course just fell short of what we have done in other locations for a similar price. Shame on me for not asking more questions about the course up front.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank caroljbrown
Reviewed 1 October 2013

It was a great day.... We were all alittle nervous trying for the first time and weather was not so good. But the owners are so kind and comforting in teaching you to be safe. It was so worth every dollar. I highly recommend to anyone visiting PR. Meeting at Krispy Kreme was a special treat!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Rita M
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were in San Juan for a day as part of a cruise port and wanted to do some ziplining. We booked this because El Campo was sold out. We had a party of 6 adults. The pick up was efficient right outside the cruise port. I did appreciate that. It was an overcast day that called for rain. As we geared up, it started to pour rain. I asked the guide if we would zip in the rain, and she said yes. We were fine with that. Rain made it more of an adventure. BUT, after we zipped 3 lines we ran into a big problem. Part of the ziplining path, we are suppose to walk through a shallow creek to get to the next zip. Because of all the rain, that shallow creek was full of rushing water. We could no longer safely cross to get to the next platform.

So we were given two options: 1) cross the rushing water 2) zip backwards (which takes a lot of arm strength and is really hard to do). The guides were not really suggesting that we do #1 because it was risky. But they were a bit stuck as what to do. We stood soaking wet by the edge of rushing river for a while before it was decided that the one guide would climb a steep wet slope, then tie a rope to a tree, and the rest of us would pull ourselves up. Luckily, the guide made it up safe, but that was a risky climb. We all made it up one-by-one with no issues.

Good things I have to say are: the guides were prepared with ropes and what not, they kept calm, and we made it back to the cruise safe

Bad things I have to say are: if you were an experienced ziplining company and you know your path has an area where you have to cross water and it has rained all day ... should you not have cancelled the tour?? I did ask early on if they zipped in the rain a lot and the guide simply answered no. Luckily were were all able-bodied adults because the young and the old might not have made that steep slippery climb. My 8-year-old nephew almost came with us. It's a good thing he didn't.

What also disappointed us was that after we climbed that steep slope, we headed back to the car and back to the cruise ship. So after 3 zips, that was it! We were surprised considering it was $95 a person! The guides didn't say anything to us about cutting it short or give us any explanation. So I don't actually know how many zips we were suppose to do...maybe just 3 or maybe they just cut it short without saying anything to us about it.

In the end the guides took the full $95 per person, no discount, no apologies. I realize it's hard to earn a living and they probably didn't want to cut their pay short for the day, but nonetheless my family and I all felt a bit slighted.

4  Thank WLPerry
Pochoavc, Owner at Tropical Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Hello,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience of your tour. Our guides are trained to act accordingly to nature's setbacks. They did all they are trained for to get you out safely and the course is actually 3 ziplines and the bridge so you actually did the whole thing. Calling it unsafe is affecting our business which has a perfect record. We are sorry for all your troubles and please reconsider if its really unsafe as the guides did all they had to do to keep you safe. The weather is something we cant control. Thank you for understanding.

Thank you.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

The wives went and had a great time... Not sure if this is the correct place but they went where there was 8 lines ending with the monster.