“First trip to Puerto Rico”

Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Friends that were with us selected this thru their time share. Didn't have the best reviews but let me tell you it was great! All the rooms face the pool/beach. When we arrived we sat down on the beach and listened to the waves....at 1030pm! It was so relaxing after traveling. The rooms were clean, staff quite friendly. There was a hotel closed down next door that some referred to as an eye sore. It wasn't that bad...the only eye sore we had was trying to find a liquor store! Not the best little roads.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Donna T
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar

Reviewed 23 April 2014

The review I read made me think I had to be weary, but I was presently surprised. The rooms were spotless, very tropical furniture. Every thing a person would need if you want to cook. The grounds were like living in paradise. The neighboring hotel that is vacan does not even show, there are beautiful palm trees covering it. The hotel is very far and hard to find but once there, you feel like you hit the jackpot of hotels in a Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank PAPO026
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Traveled to Hyatt Hacineda Del Mar in March 2014 for Spring Break. First of all after reading some of the negative reviews I was concerned about the property and after arriving I realized that my concern was wasteful. Several reports have made mention of the resort adjacent to the Hyatt that is closed. Yes, it is there and it is closed however reports of the 'ugly rusty fence' and 'homeless people living in there' in my experience are not accurate. There is a large fence but is is not rusty or otherwise ugly. The fence has a green fabric attached to it that hides the fence and what was once a nice resort. The views in every other direction are so beautiful it is easy to filter this out and I did not consider it an eyesore at all. I did not see a single homeless person there but I did see several members of the Hyatt ground crew entering and exiting the grounds. It appears that they use it for storage and enter and exit frequently. Maybe the workers were mistaken for homeless people by other reports?
The rooms are very spacious and clean and the views off of the balcony are beautiful if you are above the palm tree line (5th floor or >). The decor is a little dated, but most of the resorts that I have stayed at are. The decor was nice enough for my taste and I did not feel that the room was not maintained or otherwise run down at all. We all slept well, were comfortable and all agreed that the rooms were clean and had no other concerns.
The staff is very friendly and always willing to go a little further to help you beyond what you had asked for. The food by the beach is good and the staff is very friendly and helpful with directions and recommendations for local attractions. It is a short drive to access just about everything that you need including food, drugstores, and a newer Walmart Super Center. The resort is a little off the beaten path, but quite honestly I enjoy this and the peaceful experience that this offers.
The beach and pools are nice and my only negative comment is that the beach is not combed and as well kept as other resorts that we have stayed at. If you are not familiar with Dorado the beach is on the Atlantic side so the water is not aqua marine and the sand is not sugar white. There are waves and some would consider the water rough but if conditions are right you are able to boogie board and even surf.
We had a great time and look forward to another stay here soon. Puerto Rico really 'Does it better'. And this it true of the staff at the Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar.

Room Tip: Stay above 5th floor for the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Greg T
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just returned from one glorious week at the Hyatt in Dorado, Puerto Rico . The nicest hotel staff and so friendly and helpful. Thank you to Nancy and Marilou. , The outside bar near the beach has good food and will gladly create a entree of your choice by making substitutions. The beach was quiet and the hotel was having a slow week since it was the week prior to Easter/spring break vacation week. The rooms were clean: very comfy beds and pillows. The only thing I wish I knew prior to arrival was that renting a car if you are there for more than 3-4 days is a must! We did the Bio Bay kayaking tour at dusk which is a two hour drove from the Hyatt but well worth making the journey! Great vacation!
PS The hotel next door has been closed for 10 years but supposedly this summer they are going to tear it down and built a Marriott. I am not sure if I would want to be at this location when the construction starts due to possible noise but if it doesn't start I would definitely return to the Hyatt!

Room Tip: All rooms have a beach view. I like that our room was close by the elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Nancy S
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our family has been going to Puerto Rico Hyatt Hacienda Delmar for the past 10 years. The beach is beautiful. The grounds are barely kept up. This site needs more staff to maintain it properly. Each year it gets more and more rundown. The staff is pleasant, professional, polite and helpful but obviously understaffed. The units look clean upon entering however, when walking around in the unit barefoot the bottom of your feet get black within minutes. The floors are dirty. The bed mattresses and sleep sofa mattresses need to be replaced. The furniture and linens are wearing down. The kitchen supplies are cheap and minimal. The deteriorating empty run-down hotel next-door to the Hyatt is a major major eyesore and detriment to our Hyatt Timeshare. What a disappointment. We were told when we bought the timeshare about 10 years ago that we would have a beautiful new hotel next-door. Our yearly upkeep has increased and our timeshare quality has decreased. Last year I stayed at the Sedona Hyatt. It was beautiful. It was clean and the upkeep was impeccable. What has happened to our Hyatt Hacienda Delmar? When asked about our Hyatt vacation club timeshare, I am not recommending Hyatt Vacations anymore. Hyatt needs to pay attention to all of its sites. Puerto Rico is suffering. Hyatts can be beautiful and well-kept in some places and run down in others. One cannot assume that because it's a Hyatt that it is a good place to stay. Unfortunately in the case of Puerto Rico, sadly, Hyatt can no longer stand on its name alone.

Room Tip: The untrimmed trees block the view from almost every room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank mmwoowoo40
Reviewed 11 April 2014

From the moment I arrived at Hacienda, it was like leaving the city behind and being transported to my personal piece of paradise.
After a long day of flights and meetings, I needed a break and this was it.

The registration was smooth and fast. Went to my room, dropped my bags, and off to the only restaurant. Cozy and casual dinning by the beach and pool. Had a drink and dinner was ready in a few minutes. With the waves in the background and some local music playing in the background as well, I forgot about my long day in no time.

For the next few days it was just about the same. Perfection.

Rooms are very spacious and clean. My bed was made daily but the room only gets refreshed every so often, as this is more of a vacation club than a hotel. But I was still able to book just a few nights without being a member.

Everyone was super friendly, and overall there was nothing wrong.

Room Tip: Higher floors will allow you to see the beach. The palm trees sort off obstruct the view on floors...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We spent a wonderful four day mini-vacation with my sister in law and her husband in a well appointed two bedroom with baths and kitchens suite. The weather was perfect. The rooms were clean. A small leak in the water piping was fixed instantly. The property is well managed. The private beach is a real strong argument for this property. There are no wanderers coming through, no beach sales, just blue water, comfortable recliners, plenty of towels, and a beach bar and grill.

The air conditioning, appliances, and bathroom fixtures all worked perfectly. The beds are comfortable like almost all Hyatt properties.

Take time to explore around the resort area because you will want to find some other places to eat and shop. If you ask at the front desk you can get a list and directions. One of the best places we ate was at the Pika Bar & Restaurant, just across the highway from the Hyatt entrance andwest about 100 meters.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kalahun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar? Share your experiences!