“Amazing (and expensive)”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Coral Gables, Florida
“Amazing (and expensive)”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

True luxury in Puerto Rico and impressive, although very expensive and perhaps not worth the full price of admission. About 40 minutes by car for San Juan, depending on traffic. Rooms are excellent, indoor/outdoor showers cool (could not get my indoor one to work, but 'ambassador' is only a call away), ocean view. Great bed. Excellent wifi. Only complaints the mosquitos and how expensive everything is, but goes with the territory. Not so sure about the resort fee on top, or the hold on card. Given the price, that is a bit cheap...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear mbiz,

Thank you for your recent post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you had an Amazing time at The Reserve and that you felt it was true luxury in the enchanted island of Puerto Rico.

If your travels do bring you back to the island, please feel free to contact me directly as it would be a pleasure for me to assist you with coordinating your visit.

Warm Regards,

George M. Sotelo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We spent 8 nights in mid June at this spectacular resort. I stayed with my husband and son in a west beach ocean reserve room on the second floor. Room is spacious and view is amazing. I almost changed our reservation last minute to a first floor room with a plunge pool- but am glad I didn't do so as the first floor rooms offer little privacy with people walking by your room throughout the day . The plunge pools are a nice novelty- but not what we were looking for. We enjoyed lounging on our spacious balcony which was very private. The outdoor rainshower is heavenly- it was so nice to shower after dark and listen to the coqui frogs singing. The resort layout is well planned- never felt congested or crowded- we never had a problem getting chairs by the pool or on the beach- many times it felt like we had the beach all to ourselves. The swimming lagoon that is protected by natural rock was a nice feature- the surf would otherwise have been too rough for out son. We have visited many caribbean islands and stayed at many high-end resorts- this one definitely competes for first place.

Our 7 year old son enjoyed meeting and playing with many other children who were vacationing at the resort. The complimentary bikes were an awesome perk- we would ride the 7 mile trail along the beach and through the forrest to the clay tennis courts each morning. The Waterpark which is a quick golfcart ride away was also a nice feature for children- but its only open on weekends. Kids club offers many activities for children of all ages. Our son really enjoyed "creatures of the night" . Complimentary snorkel gear was also great- no need to pack extra swimming gear for the kids.

Resort staff were friendly and attentive. Nate was wonderful and always seemed to be there to help us when needed. We did not use the embajadores for much-but that was our choice - they did recommend some good restaurants off site which we enjoyed- Grappa and Greenhouse. We had no problem with the poolside service that other reviewers have claimed was spotty or needed improvement.

Encanto, Positivo and Mi Casa were all great restaurants. Mi Casa was our favorite- a must for dinner- service and food was impecable. Loved the daily ceviche at Positivo and Encanto. Lunch at Barlovento by the watersports was also delicious- the location is just a bit windy.

My son is begging us to return for another vacation at the end of summer- we all enjoyed it so much I think we may just return for another stay ! If not then- definitely again in the near future.

Room Tip: West beach is a much nicer beach and closer to the Encanto pool (better for kids and families).
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank haverfordrad
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear haverfordrad,

I want to thank you for your recent post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed 8 wonderful nights at The Reserve and you "Cannot wait to return".

It is always refreshing to hear that our guests enjoy well thought designed accommodations, the sumpotus dining venues from Positivo, Encanto and of course Mi Casa by Celebrity Chef Jose Andres as well as our lagoon-like beach and reflecting pools!

I am very happy to hear that your 7 year old son enjoyed the innovative ambassadors of the enviornment activities such as the "creatures of the night".

The ladies & gentlemen of the resort look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly when planning your return as it would be a pleasure for me to assist you in coordinating your stay.

Victor, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We recently had a group of 34 for a President's Club trip go to the Reserve. The resort is absolutely beautiful! This was our third annual trip and this location was by far the most luxurious. The staff was wonderful and Diana and Guadalupe, who I talked to for months while planning the trips, were outstanding. Even those that are somewhat seasoned travelers thought the location was by far one of the best they had ever been to. The rooms are spacious and the outdoor shower is great! We had 3 planned dinners while there, everything from a formal sit down dinner to an outside barbecue. All were wonderfully planned and the food delicious. If you ever have an opportunity to visit Puerto Rico I highly recommend the Dorado Beach Reserve.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank dpiperni2014
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear dpiperni2014,

Thank you for your recent review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve.

I am delighted to hear that your group thouroughly enjoyed the catered events as well as all of the facilities at The Reserve. I am excited to share your review with all of the ladies and gentlemen and thank you for highlighting both Diana and Guadalupe.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and the President's Club back in the very near future.

Bryn Mawr, PA
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Dorado Beach is perhaps the most beautiful beach resort we have visited. The grounds are magnificently landscaped and the setting is breathtaking. Our first-floor East Beach plunge pool room was gorgeous and roomy; we especially liked the walled outdoor shower even though we never used it. We specifically chose the East Beach for more privacy, as the West Beach rooms are directly on the lagoon beach and guests walk right past your plunge pool. No luck, however -- other guests frequently walked on the lawn past our "private yard" taking a shortcut to their rooms, even though it's not an official pathway. Maybe the furthest east rooms avoid this -- who knows? One more wrinkle: what was supposed to be the adults-only pool by Positivo Restaurant allowed children during our stay, perhaps because it was not high season. Even so, they were well-behaved so it did not diminish our enjoyment. Other than those small matters, everything about our experience was outstanding. Despite some concerns expressed in others' reviews, the service was flawless at every level. Mi Casa was a not-to-be-missed experience. The only negative aspect of our stay was, of course, having to leave.

Room Tip: East Beach rooms are quieter but not entirely private.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BrynMawrBK
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear BrynMawrBK,

Thank you for your glowing review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you found "Paradise in Puerto Rico" and that you enjoyed your accommodations on the east beach, the lush grounds, the reflecting pools, Mi Casa Restaurant by celebrity chef Jose Andres and most importantly the level of service provided by the ladies & gentlemen of The Reserve.

Our mission is to provide the highest level of genuine care and comfort for our distinguished guests and glad to hear that you did not want to leave the resort. The good thing is that you can always come back!

I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My partner and I have stayed at this property twice now (Nov 2013/Feb 2014) and are headed back for our third stay in July for an extended weekend getaway. It's truly a beautiful property and delivers a relaxing vacation, we are not snobs in any sense, but there are some things that they need to improve based on our stays around the world at other properties of this caliber.

The rooms are absolutely amazing and spacious. If you have a plunge pool on the west beach, you don't need to leave, however there is very little privacy on the porch, in the pool or in your room with the doors open due to guest walking back and forth. The bathrooms are a spa onto themselves, however twice now the oversized tub would not stop so it could be filled to use the amazing bath salts they have. Overall though, the rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and truly five star. Tip: Request Fernando as your butler as he is one of the BEST!

The pool area also is beautiful, however the poolside/beachside service is spotty at best and needs much improvement. The San Juan property has mastered this and they should take note. In February we had to wait HOURS for our room to be ready for check-in, even after the normal check-in time, however they did give us a credit for the inconvenience. During this time though, when we did find someone for a drink, we had to give a credit card for each drink whereas most hotels will set up a temporary portfolio and move it to your room one you check in. The most memorable experience came a few days later when a woman (presumably a manager judges by her dress) approached us while in the pool and asked "Are you even guests at this property?". Really, for $1,600 per night I expect better than that. I was in the pool and had more than acceptable attire the entire time. Yes, I was not wearing Louis Vuitton flip flops and don't flaunt like some of the guests from the Northeast corridor that were flocked nearby, but there was no need for such a comment.

Mi Casa for breakfast...not so impressed for the price. One breakfast was $50 and not memorable, but I wasn't at the hotel for breakfast. However, dinner at Mi Casa is FANTASTIC and the staff is friendly and top notch! We ate there one night with several appetizers and drinks and the bar hostess was extremely friendly. On another night we had friends join us and we had the tasting experience. The food and service was AMAZING! Wine prices are a little high by the bottle, but overall a great experience.

The beach is amazing and very intimate in areas whereas you don't feel like your on vacation with a thousand people. The hotel was fully committed when we were there and they had Mini Copper there for a corporate event in February and you would have never known.

Overall, there is no other property of this caliber that is as easy to fly into within a few hours from the Pittsburgh/Washington DC area. We will be going back for our third time this month to look at properties for a large party we are hosting later this year and I'm certain they will work out any kinks in service. You simply will not find a property like this unless you spend the time in flight and then charter flight for Mustique, St. Bart's or St.

Truly a relaxing vacation destination!

Room Tip: West beach plunge pool room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OBX2002
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear OBX2002,

Thank you for your review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve from your stay in February!.

I am delighted to hear that you consider The Reserve "Heaven" and I look forward to personally welcoming you back for a 3rd time in July.

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, the private beach and dinner at Mi Casa.

Fernando and the rest of the ladies & gentlemen look forward to welcoming you as well.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you in anyway to make your upcoming stay more comfortable.

USA
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Although I haven't stayed yet (I'll be checking in July 2nd for 4 nights), I have had extensive communication with everyone from the GM (George) to the Front Office Supervisor (Ana) and Alexandra in the Guest Recognition department.

The level of service, attention to detail, and the genuine friendliness of the staff and management so far has been amazing. They have catered and responded promptly to each one of my requests (and I had a lot) with a level of service that is beyond what I am used to even with the Ritz or FS. I've stayed at the majority of the Ritz Carlton's throughout the world and the pre-arrival has easily exceeded each one. What makes this hotel special, in my opinion, is that the staff seem genuinely happy and cheerful when you speak to them on the phone or through email. They obviously love their job and it truly shows!

I am extremely excited to stay at this hotel next week and will be sure to write a review upon my return!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank WorldTraveler1251
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear WorldTraveler1251,

Thank you for your post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

We are super excited and look forward to welcoming you to our exotic santctuary next week. We have had terrific weather and expect it to continue through the 4th of July weekend.

Please do let me know if there is anything that I can assist you with prior to your visit. Mi Casa Restaurant by celebrity chef Jose Andres and Spa Botanico are not to be missed.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at several excellent places in the Caribbean. This was not one of them. We had a top-price, west beach, plunge reserve pool room" (ie we had our own small pool). Trouble is that the rooms are designed so anyone walking past can look right into your bedroom. There is no (repeat: NO) privacy in bed unless you close the heavy sliding doors and thereby have no view of anything. Next: we found one particular restaurant we liked at the resort. Dinner the first night was great. For each of the next three nights we returned only to be told we could not eat there because they were having a private function - after each night we spoke with the manager and were told the next night we could eat there, but, no luck: each night we went back, a new private function. That kind of service is not what we paid over $1,000 a night for. Also, please note that there is one spot for ocean swimming at the resort - a relatively steep beach slopes down to the water. With the lack of privacy in our bedroom, the "private function" lack of availability and poor beach and swimming, we left early. There is one hobe cat (with a black sail) to use in the small, protected harbor, but you will have to make sure you do not run into any swimmers. I cannot recommend this facility.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Russ B
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Russ B,

Thank you for your post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am disspointed to hear of your experience at the resort. Many of our distinguished guests find the resort to be a private and exotic sanctuary. The beach at the resort has always been considered a "lagoon" because it is so swimmable and is perfect setting for swimming and snorkeling.

I regret that you were misinfomed of our restaurant and welcome the opportiunity to discuss further at your convenience.

George M. Sotelo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
W Retreat & Spa Vieques
W Retreat & Spa Vieques
#3 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!