“The Best Ritz Carlton, a new bar has been set” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dallas, Texas
“The Best Ritz Carlton, a new bar has been set”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This was a family vacation and we had been to the older Ritz Carlton in Puerto Rico years ago and decided we would not go back to Puerto Rico. When we found out about the new Ritz Carlton Reserve we decided to go back to Puerto Rico and we are so happy we did. This is the nicest resort I have ever been to in my life. We did have a suite with an adjoining room and large private plunge pool basically right on the beach. This resort is so nice I never wanted to leave. You can get bikes and ride for miles on the property which is gorgeous. The food is great and the staff is wonderful. After staying here I'm afraid it's going to be hard for any hotel to WOW me, but I hope I am wrong; it is a treat to find such a paradise.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank bmacoms1
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear bmacoms1,

Thank you for your review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you and your family have discovered The Reserve and that you enjoyed our exotic sanctuary.

The resort continues to garner great reviews from distinuished guests as yourself and I am happy to hear that "we have set the bar".

Please feel free to contact me directly when planning your return as it would be a pleasure for me to assist you in coordinating your visit.

George M. Sotelo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Turkish first
old forge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

this was the nicest resort we have ever stayed at. rented a car to drive to dorado from san juan. its only a 30 min drive from osj. when we arrived at the welcome pavillion we were greeted with housemade popcicles then given a personal tour of the grounds. our room was on the east side 2nd floor. very private right next to the ocean. our room was to die for. hallway lead to bar area with lovely note and bowl of fruit welcoming us. the walk in closet lead to large bathroom. what a luxury to take an outdoor shower. the large bedroom and sitting room lead to the balcony with awesome views and space.i sat out on the terrace every morning drinking my coffee and listened to the ocean waves down below us every night. staff are personal and helpful. bikes were delivered to our room to navigate grounds. golf carts were a phone call away to assist wirh transport. the watermill is worth spending time at especially with kids...open only on weekends. its like your own private water park...no lines or crowds.encanto pool is large with lots if seating and spaces inside and out of pool area. beach is private and protected. positivo pool is unforgetable...breathtaking views! mi casa breakfast and positivo dinner very nice and good service. we did not get to use the spa but it looked incredible. the ritz reserve definitely exceeded all our expectations!

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank ofdevils
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear ofdevils,

I want to thank you for your recent post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you consider The Reserve "the nicest resort you have stayed at" and that it "exceeded your expecations".

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed your luxurious accommodations, the restaurants, the waterpark and that you were able to ride your bikes around the campus.

Please feel free to contact me directly should your travels bring you back to the enchanted island of Puerto Rico as it would be a pleasure for me to assist you with coordinating your visit.

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Never been tempted to stay in Puerto Rico before but after reading about the RCR, we decided to give it a try during my spring break (teacher). From the minute we arrived, every turn was a delightful surprise. The lobby area was lush and modern and impressive. Our room on the West beach was perfect. Decent sized bedroom area, large bathroom, nice porch area and finally....someone got the plunge pool right. Usually they are more like a glorified dunk tank (or hot tub since the sun heats them to uncomfortable temps). This one was just perfect and we were surprised at how much we actually used it. The three different beaches appeal to whatever mood you're in....floating, wading, walking, or water sports (my husband took surf and windsurf lessons and loved it). The service was great....especially Ricardo the manager---so friendly and sincere. A good listener, which I find is rare among managerial staff. The food was good to great. Mi Casa may be a little overhyped, though.
A few notes:
1. I felt like I was sleeping on an airport runway. From the blinking smoke alarm light, to the tv, to the large glowing light panels next to each side of the bed---I had to run around with tshirts and scarves to cover them. I leaned my Kindle up against the glowing panel on my side and ended up forgetting to pack it. On a positive note....we called from the airport and they Fed ex'd it home. Now that is 5 star service. Well done, RCR!
2. The main reason why I cannot give this resort 5 stars (and I want to...I really want to), is because of the local membership/club aspect. One moment you feel like you are in pampered luxury, the next you are in some kind of local playground with screaming kids and loud families. There is supposed to be some kind of separation but the club members drag their sun chairs over in front of the glass panel building and sneak over to the Reserve section beach. Add the water park to the mix and you have a heavy handed children's paradise. Couldn't get anywhere near the pool (an adult pool would be fantastic).
3. Beach service was ridiculously lacking. But service everywhere else was exceptional.

We enjoyed our stay and I would love to return one day. Besides, I really need some more sweet plantain and pork mofongo.

Room Tip: West beach is perfection.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
6 Thank Kirstin R
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear NewarkReds,

Thank you for your recent post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve.

I am delighted that you visited The Reserve for spring break after reading about it and that you were "delightfully surpised" at every turn. I have to agree with you that the pools in the accommodations are a fan favorite for many of our distinguished guests. I am also glad that you were able to experience all three beaches as they are all very different experiences and apologize that we fell short at the beach club.

I also appreciate your comments regarding the accommodations and will be looking into this with the team......I am glad to hear that you did get your scarf though.

I also want to thank you for highlighting Ricardo and the ladies and gentlemen of the resort as we strive to provide the highest levels of service to our guests.

Please feel free to contact me when planning your return as it would be a pleasure for me to assist you in coordinating your visit.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This place is heaven. My husband and I first stayed at the Ritz in San Juan and that did not go well, but once we arrived here we were so amazed by everything. From the views, the rooms, pools, beaches, and oh my god the service here is like no other!!! Annette, Noel and Jimmy were exceptional. Jimmy was so attentive and pleasant. We can not wait to go back!!! No other hotel can ever compare.

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Denise R
Dear Denise R,

Thank you for your review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you and your husband had an "Amazing" time at the resort an consider it "Heaven".

We are humbled by your comments regarding the service you experienced at the resort and I thank you for highlighting some of the ladies and gentlemen that made your stay a memorable one.

I look forward to having the opportunity to welcoming you and your husband back to our exotic sanctuar in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We've stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels over the years and have had hit or miss experiences. We had no idea what a "Reserve" property was but now understand perfectly and the property was exceptional on every level. These "Reserve" properties, only 2 in the world (here and Thailand), spent $1/2 Billion to make it world class and I'm telling you, it is!

The property itself was designed and furnished to perfection. It offered the nicest interiors and setting we've ever experienced and we travel for pleasure up to 10 times a year to 5 star properties throughout the world. We appreciated the acreage and opportunity to explore it all. Every single employee at this property was attentive, helpful, pleasant, willing to assist, and even go the extra mile.

We also wanted to commend the food and beverage quality. It was nothing short of outstanding, truly. We enjoyed a birthday and anniversary dinner at Encanto one evening and everything from the authentic Puerto Rican meal to the cake and wish lantern made it a night to forever remember. Chef Antonio extended his personal charm by visiting our table, checking on us, and ensuring we had everything we needed. We had a repeat performance on our last night and can't thank him enough for his talent and willingness to cook something special for us.

Splurge for the accommodations that offer the rooftop pool - amazing! West side was just as quiet as East. If you prefer a more breezy setting, choose East beach. Spa is astoundingly beautiful, all 5 acres! Water park is small but sufficient and built among the ruins and designed with perfection. Lovely! Bike rides every morning to explore the whole community - wonderful! This place is truly the nicest we've ever experienced! You will not be disappointed!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank diane m
Dear diane m,

I want to thank you for such a glowing review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

As a valued Ritz-Carlton guest I am very happy to hear that you were able to expereince our Reserve. Although we are only 1 of 2 properties, there are several more magical Reserve properties being developed.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed our exotic sanctuary and consider it "the nicest resort ever". The ladies & gentlemen of resort pride themselves in providing the highest level of genuine care and comfort for our distinguished guests.

I hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to Dorado Beach in the near future.

St. Thomas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My best friend and I were looking for a place that was easy to get to from St. Thomas and Atlanta for a relaxing 4 day BFF weekend. We just wanted to relax, be close to the ocean and do what friends do best--talk and laugh a lot. We chose the Dorado-Ritz Carlton Reserve more by accident than intent. It was an outstanding, breath-taking choice.

We chose a two-bedroom West Beach accommodation which was on the ground level. We had 3 separate deck areas, a private infinity pool, 2 luxurious deep soaking tubs and amazing outdoor showers. To top it off, we had our own designated "butler" to assist in anyway possible. Less than 60 feet from our deck were the white sands and ocean. [Every morning, the beach staff would set up our designated chaises, umbrellas and ice buckets of chilled bottled water.] For this time of the year, the beach was unbelievably quiet. Our accommodations were immaculately clean and well provisioned with fresh fruits and all the amenities that you could ever want or expect.

We had the opportunity to dine in their renowned "Mi Casa" restaurant. The chef is well known for his books and TV appearances. Food was superb. We also dined at their Asian Fusion restaurant, which was more casual with a tapas influence. The food was fine, but not rave worthy.

We had a small issue upon our arrival regarding the arrangement of the 2nd bedroom. The response from the Hotel's Accommodation Manager, Peter was prompt and quickly dealt with the problem and extended us hotel courtesies for our inconvenience.

The only area that fell slightly below our expectations was room service. It was very slow. There were a few instances where we had to make several follow-up calls about an order and ended up waiting more than an hour for something as simple as assorted cheeses and meats to arrive.

But, keep in mind that this beautiful property is a reserve that totals ~1000 acres, where golf carts and bicycles are the primary mode of transportation for everything.

We will definitely return to breathtaking Dorado - Ritz Carlton Reserve!

Room Tip: We liked West Beach accommodations for quiet and ocean/beach access.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BBHSRH
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear BBHSRH,

Thank you for your recent post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted that you and your best friend discovered The Reserve and consider it "In a League of its own".

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the 2 bedroom west beach accommodation with its only private pool and that the ladies & gentlemen of the resort took great care of you and that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience at restaurant Mi Casa by Celebrity Chef Jose Andres.

Please rest assured that I am personally following up with your comment regarding in room dining.

Please feel free to contact me directly when planning your return as it would be a pleausure for me to assist you with coordinating your trip.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz Dorado Beach for three nights in mid-June 2014 over a weekend to celebrate my 40th birthday. The property was aware that we were celebrating a milestone birthday so we were upgraded to a room with a plunge pool (we waited 2.5 hours for the room to be ready). Looking back, I cannot even envision our experience there without having a plunge pool - it made our trip....we never even used the resort pool!! We had our own ocean cove (Building 6). Waiting for me in the room was a chocolate birthday cake from the resort - a very nice touch.....

Here are a few takeaways when considering this property:
- The rooms themselves are okay, but the outdoor shower is incredible along with the plunge pool.
- There was a very strong chemical cleaning fume in the room when we first got in - they quickly brought an air purifier and the smell slowly subsided.
- My husband struggled with the air conditioning every day and every night. The room never got below 73 degrees. My husband likes it very cold, like 65 degrees.
- The room service menu is VERY limited.....
- The property's beach is not really a "true beach" as the perimeter is a rock jetty but the benefit of this is having all of the rooms super close to the ocean. Most Caribbean properties have rooms way, way back from the ocean for storm reasons and erosion.
- The Spa here is incredible....It is a beautiful botanical spa but very expensive. One couples treatment is $1,300!!
- The Jose Andres restaurant is just okay for breakfast and is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays for dinner.
- Check out the waterpark (a golf cart ride away) for a few hours.
- The guests at the Ritz were mainly Spaniards or South Americans, not a lot of Americans.
- We went into the town of Dorado one evening for dinner at the recommended Grappa (local Italian fare). We thought the food was salty but decent.
- If considering the St. Regis Bahia Resort in Rio Grande please know this: we stayed there for five nights prior to our stay at the Ritz. There is simply NO WAY to compare the two resorts as they are completely different. Both of our stays were simply amazing....but I was very partial to the plunge pool at the Ritz - splurge if you can!!!!
- Guard yourself against those Caribbean "no see um" bugs - I was eaten alive even with bug spray on - the itching drove me nuts!!!!!
- We really enjoyed a dinner one evening at the resort's El Encanto (Asian cuisine) casual restaurant. Ask for Table 50 for a fabulous sunset view.

Room Tip: Building 6 has its own private ocean cove and is super close to the main lobby.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Globetrotter74
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Globetrotter74,

I was delighted to hear that you and your husband selected The Reserve for your 40th birthday celebration and hope that you enjoyed your birthday cake.

I have to agree with you that the "Plunge Pools" are a big hit with our distinguished guests as yourselves. All of our 115 accommodations on property have direct ocean front views of the Caribbean ocean and almost half of them have direct access to our lagoon beach.

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed Spa Botanico and the Waterpark and I appreciate your comments regarding the opportunities that you experienced in the room and rest assured that I will personally be looking into them.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly as it would be my pleasure to assist you in coordinating your visit.

George M. Sotelo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 46 in San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,658 reviews

Been to Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!