“Resort”

Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

One of the best resorts in the world. Arquitectur impossible to beat. Beach, swimming pools, surroundings, gardens, and wonderful service , especialy Jennifer, our embajadora, hope to retorn soon, the minus ejete the groups that dissaranges the normal way of life in the resort

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Tocas58,

Thank you for you review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

The ladies & gentlemen of The Reserve are humbled by your comment regarding the "resort being one of the best in the world". I will also be sharing your wonderful review with Jennifer.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

The Ritz Dorado Beach truly is a one of a kind property. You won't find much better anywhere in the Caribbean. The rooms are immaculate and sit right on the beach. The west beach on the ground floor with a plunge pool or full size pool is highly recommended. We had the full size pool and the kids couldn't get enough of it! We never even visited the resort pools.

The trails along the property are amazing, it is definitely recommended that you rent bikes and ride along them. The beach setting is also top notch. You can walk out for several hundred feet and the rock barrier prevents the big waves from coming ashore. Snorkeling is a must, for kids and adults.

The kid activities they have planned sound great, unfortunately we weren't able to take advantage of them because they are only offered on select days. This seems to be a common complaint along with restaurants only open on select days. This is an apparent cost saving measure by the resort to offer the activities when occupancy is at its highest. WIth it being such a high end resort that is very expensive to stay at, I would hope they would reconsider this approach and cater to their guests.

We just came back from our second trip there and service was definitely lacking this time around. My daughter absolutely loved the Mallorcan bread ham sandwich she had the first night we were there. Despite being on the menu at every restaurant, she was unable to order it with the yummy Mallorcan bread the rest of her trip. They only offered up regular white bread. We heard several excuses and promises about making sure we were able to order it the next day with Mallorcan bread, but they never came through. The service at the sand bar restaurant was poor during our first visit and continued our second visit. Breakfast at MiCasa is amazing and having dinner there is a must as well.

The spa probably has one of the best settings in the world, definitely take advantage!

Our ambassador Jennifer deserves special recognition as she did her very best to cater to our needs. She went out of her way to give us a golf cart tour on the trails which the kids loved! She also helped us get snorkeling gear when the activities center was closed.

We'll definitely return for years to come, I just hope they continue to work on their service at the restaurants and definitely reconsider only offering activities on certain days, especially during the summer when there are more kids visiting.

Room Tip: West beach is great if you have kids, if you are looking for a more peaceful setting, the east beach...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank APL4
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear APL4,

I would like to thank you for your recent post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our exotic sanctuary. The west beach accommodations with pools are always a big hit and I am glad that you thought so as well.

As a repeat guest we truly appreciate your loyalty and value your constructive comments. Rest assured that my team and I will be looking into the points that you have brought to our attention.

I want to thank you again and look forward to personally welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This being my first Trip Advisor review, I could not think of a better way to start. Having traveled for 40 plus years throughout the Caribbean and been to most of the finest resorts, I can finally say that I have just returned from the best of all resorts! Opened just over a year ago, The Reserve at Dorado Beach is simple in a world of its own. From the minute my wife and I arrived were greeted by no less that 4 staff members including one with mango ice pops.We were immediately shown to our gorgeous Reserve King room with a plunge pool , inside outside showers , enormous tub and spectacular ocean views. All the 120 rooms face the ocean and come with their own day/night butler service called ‘Embajadores’ who cater personally to your every need and always the friendliest attitudes.
During the day, we found ourselves relaxing in the most beautiful infinity pool overlooking the gorgeous beach for hours at a time. (When Laurence Rockefeller 60 years ago picked this piece of property for his private resort he sure knew what he was doing)
The food was absolutely phenomenal! We loved the barefoot sand casual bar restaurant Positivo and many days had the incredible lunch delivered promptly to our beach chair accompanied by a constant flow of free water bottles in an ice bucket. At breakfast and dinner we were treated to the world-class chef Jose Andres at Mi Casa restaurant’s truly amazing dishes served by a staff that was above and beyond first class. At times we simply could not believe how great the food was designed, prepared and served as we sat comfortably looking at a palm beach giving way to an incredible sunset over the ocean.
For activities, we asked upon arrival for free bicycles to tour the immense property’s scenic bike path reroute to a number of first class gyms including every-possible machine needed and free weights, a private water park with water slides and lazy river, sailing, windsurfing and even a professional sailboarding staff. I chose to do a kayak /snorkel trip which had an extremely qualified gal who spent 20 minutes discussing all the fish we intended to see on our trip and watched an informative video. There are 3 professional golf courses available and tennis courts.
Saving the best for last, you must see it to believe the 5 …yes 5 acres of ‘Spa Botanica’ which has been set in amongst rustic buildings hidden in the most beautiful plants, flowers, trees and ponds. We soaked in the natural rock, warm watered Jacuzzis and then had “Tree House Massage” sitting 50 feet up amongst the trees giving us a pure relaxing effect. There are so many various treatments to chose from and after don’t miss just sitting in their stunning ‘relaxing rooms’ with views out over the trees .I have never seen a spa this beautiful, ever!
When we left the Reserve after six nights I must admit that I was so sad but cannot wait for m y next visit to reserve The Reserve ….Pure Paradise!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
20  Thank BackcountryDD
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear daisydarrin533,

Welcome to the world of TripAdvisor!

I want to thank you for posting your recent experience of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am pleased to hear that you consider The Reserve "Pure Paradise" and rest assured that the Ladies & Gentlemen of the resort are humbled by your wonderful comments and I am very excited to share your review with the entire team.

I hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you both back in the near future so please feel free to contact me directly when planning your return as it would be a pleasure for me to assist you with coordinating another memorable visit.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The views and landscaping at this property are amazing. We really contemplated on spending the money for this place...but we were celebrating our anniversary..... we were so glad we did!! From the moment we drove up the service was great. Louie greeted us at our car and gave us all his attention and knowledge of the place and were whisked away into a tropical paradise. We arrived very early in the morning, so our room was not ready....but we didn't expect it to be that early. By 10 am a staff member named Luz (we nicknamed her Lucy) came and found us and took us to our room. Our luggage had arrived, the champagne we brought was on ice!! Lucy stayed went over all the details of the room with us. She gave us her cell phone number and told us if we needed anything during our stay or had any questions do NOT hesitate to phone her...WOW!! Louie stopped back by to make sure all was good and if we needed anything. He and Luz told us about bike riding and took us to sign for our bikes and they delivered them to us. I decided to make a spa appointment. What a treat. Anabel, Jasmine and Leslie were all amazing. I told Leslie about my white Nicole Miller dress that I had washed in the sink because a cranberry juice had exploded in my luggage on the flight and my dress was pink!! I had brought it to wear for our anniversary dinner that evening in Mi Casa. She informed the staff and they went to our room and had laundred the dress for me!! That was amazing and bought me to tears!! That evening we sat outside and drank our champagne. Anjelica (outside bartender) brought over bug spray for us and champagne glasses...the Mi Casa bartender came out, brought us menu's and went over the drink list and entree's for us. We dined that evening in Mi Casa. Great food, staff and experience. The only thing that was disappointing was my husband wanted to try the Mi Casa experience, but he couldn't order it because we both has to order it.
We rode bikes, snorkeled and just enjoyed every moment we had there. I have traveled the world, and this ranks as one of the top places I have ever stayed.
Thank you Ritz Carlton and staff....you are all truly amazing. We will return next year for our anniversary!!!

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank MWC2
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear MWC2,

I want to thank you for your glowing review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you selected The Reserve to celebrate your anniversary and that this trip was "Breath-taking". I also appreciate you highlighting the ladies and gentlemen of the resort that made your celebration a memorable and I am excited in sharing your comments with them.

I am also glad to hear that e were able to properly handle your white dress in time for your anniversary dinner at Mi Casa by Celebrity Chef Jose Andres.

Please feel free to contact me directly when planning your next visit as it would be a pleasure for me to assist you in coordinating your trip and personally welcoming you back to our exotic sanctuary.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I should start by saying that when we pulled up at this gorgeous resort we were greeted by a wonderful staff. I kept pinching myself to make sure i was not dreaming. We were given a tour of the hotel at 7:30pm, the "quiet" pool as they call it was peaceful and inviting and the restaurants were serene. We were in a king room with a pullout for our 12 year old daughter. The pullout was ready for her on arrival, and our luggage was promptly delivered to our room. The room was outstanding and the view amazing! We took advantage of the bicycles that the hotel offer at no charge and really got a lot of use out of them. We toured the property by bicycle and it is truly stunning. We also took advantage of snorkeling with Ambassadors staff and learned a lot from the ladies that took us out by the east beach. The hotel pool area was great the first few days with plenty of chairs and attentive staff, namely Christian and Angel. There is a library that we loved stocked with books and games which we utilized during our stay. The library had fresh coffee in the mornings which was wonderful for the first half our stay.
Honestly, I could not imagine a negative review for this property, I figured anyone saying something negative was out of their minds, and then came the crowd from a medical device company that literally took over the property. This property is not made for, or equipped to host an event like this unless they buy out the entire resort, and for that I blame the Management.
So here goes the second half of my very expensive vacation.....I woke up and went to the library as I had every morning, except the library had been renamed Medtronics and turned into a meet and greet for a corporation. Ok, so I go make my own coffee back in the room and go down to the beach to relax in a beach chair by the ocean to be kicked out of my now corporate owned beach chair (which by the way, not a single person came over and sat in all day 8am-4pm). I was advised that I could choose a different chair,but I would not be getting a cushion as I had the first half of my vacation. I went over to the "quiet pool", which had now turned into a packed pool that reminded me of a pool in Mexico around mid-March. As I approached one of the jetted seats in the pool I was told, "I could not sit there since she was saving that area of the pool for her friends at the bar", yep another guest from Medtronics. I was shocked at how myself and other guests became invisible the instant the corporate folks arrived. We would leave our room in the morning and come back at 3pm to a still un-serviced room which was a huge change from the first half of the stay. We no longer received turn down service, and I was the one pulling out the sofa bed and making it up for my daughter the last 3 nights. We would call for our car to the valets and the first few days it was prompt and waiting for us. The second half of our trip we called ahead for our car and went down to hop in and it was not there, that was 20 minutes after we had requested it, again we waited another ten minutes for the car. The last night of our stay we went to Positano for dinner, which "does not take reservations". We were told that there were no tables available because they had tables reserved for the big group of people from Medtronics who were now 45 minutes late for their "reservation". The other restaurant Mi Casa, was closed for the night and we wanted a change from the pool bar restaurant at Encanto. I asked to speak to the manager who put together a table for us on the sand and served us up a free drink and a tasty dinner. I will say that we were lucky to get a table as others walked away very upset that they were holding tables for this group and turning them away when they were told no reservations accepted. The food was good and Camille our server and I believe the manager was Viviana were wonderful.
This resort is a gem and honestly for the first four nights they should get a rating of 5+ for the last three nights the service and environment was about a 2-3 at no fault of the staff, as they were being totally overworked by one group. Once again this should have been staffed better by management.
I can't wait to return but will surely check to make sure they are not hosting an event during my next stay. Definitely group events are better suited for the Ritz in San Juan.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank BetsyJ774
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Betsy J,

Thank you for your post of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

Although I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the first 5 days of your stay with us, I am dissapointed that we fell short on delivering the same experience on the last few days.

I would very much appreciate and opportunity to discuss with you further and I can be reached at (787) 278-7200.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel had three stars when I looked for reviews. I came prepared with everything possible. To my pleasant surprise I did not need anything. It was immaculately cleaned. When I went to the porch I was stunned by the beauty, and guess what? I didn't have an ocean view. My view was of the pool with greenery all over. We had a kitchen, living room area with everything needed if we choose to cook. The people were friendly and very helpful. The cons: You need a car appreciate this island, but if your going to relax, and sit around there is a restaurant right by the pool that is open late. There is a private beach, and a souvenir shop. Tip The Barcardi factory museum is free, and every adult gets two free drinks!

Room Tip: Just ask and you shall receive. Always get the name of the person you booked with.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank PAPO026

Dear PAPO026,

Thank you for your recent review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Reserve and that you consider your experience a "WOW".

We strive to provide the highest levels of genuine care and comfort for our distinguished guests and I am happy that your stay was a memorable one.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back to our exotic sanctuary in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We spent 7 days at the Ritz and were incredibly shocked at several aspects. To begin with, they have about 5 restaurant ya on the property but only a few are open at a given time. The resort is very spread out so we would walk 15 minutes for dinner to find out the restaurant was closed. This happened 4 times during our stay! The resort only opens the gift shop and bar at 1 beach so if you happen to want to visit or rent a room on the other side of the property then you better bring a cooler for drinks! They have a great water park for kids called the water mill; however, it is only open 4 days a week. The concierge service was the worst ever, they would provide information about restaurants and offer to make reservations only to call an five hours later to info us the restaurant was closed. Also. The concierge would not even return emails so we could not schedule events prior to our arrival. If you called the front desk, they only answered 1 out of every 10 times. We have stayed at numerous 5 star hotels including many Ritz Carlton's and this hotel is beautiful but completely lacking in numerous areas and definitely not worth the price!

• Stayed: August 2014
9  Thank mom2017
George S, General Manager at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear mom2017,

Thank you for your review of Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve!

We strive to provide the upmost levels of service to our distinguished guests and I do apologize that we fell short of your expectations with our concierge department.

We do have a wide variety of restaurant options and the schedules do vary based on the time of year and I apologize that these were note communicated to you appropriately.

I am happy to discuss further at your convenience if you wish so please feel free to contact me directly.

George M. Sotelo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
#2 of 48 in San Juan
CasaBlanca Hotel
CasaBlanca Hotel
#5 of 48 in San Juan

Been to Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!