“Not a chain hotel”
Review of Hotel Melia Ponce

Hotel Melia Ponce
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is our third stay at hotel Melia and I would stay here every time in Ponce. Nice original structure with great views of the plaza. It has the feeling of an old world hotel with many modern ameneties.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Keith K
There are newer reviews for Hotel Melia Ponce

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Great location!! We walked everywhere! The room was okay...kind of small but decent. The free breakfast was great and had a nice view of the pool and gardens. One thing to note - there weren't many outlets. I had to plug my phone in behind the bed and then the cord couldn't reach to the nightstand so it laid under my pillow all night.

The staff, although kind, were not very helpful. One desk assistant couldn't tell us how to get to Catillo de Serralles which is literally within walking distance (but don't walk it....it's in a weird neighborhood). The older gentleman who worked the first night we arrived was very friendly but gave us suggestions to only two restaurants (Tertulia's and Tompy's) both of which had tiny menus and were terrible (see othe post about Tertulia's).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I booked the Melia on line because of its history. The hotel is right on the square in Ponce which
is the center of the architecture and museums in this lovely little city. The room we booked had not been updated so we asked for a move after one night and the staff was
incredibly pleasant and helpful in doing so. The remodeled room was small but lovely. One really
gets a sense of history in this hotel which would be the whole point of going to Ponce. Omar was a great help with the room and directions - a lovely human being.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that has been remodeled.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathleen F
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My family and around 13 families related to my daughter chose Melia to serve as our headquarters for our daughter's wedding at the Old Ponce Casino (a magnificent 19 century facility owned by the city of Ponce vey close to the beautiful central square of the city). Apart from giving us a time voyage to the colonial past of this beautiful historical downtown, it also connected us back to traditions long gone in the open in big San Juan such as Saturday night big band romantic music at the square. Service was good. With new competition literally around the corner, the administration will do good if they invest in some renovations to modernize rooms and common areas without changing its 19 century flavor. If you want to stroll Ponce and relate to its past, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank oscarcor1
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I went to Ponce Puerto Rico for my 30th high-school reunion, a few of us stayed here at the Melia Hotel, the service was great, the bedrooms nice and clean, the balcony view to the street was awesome. I highly recommend and we will stay here again. The people that work at the hotel.. extremely nice .. It feels like home..thank you!

Room Tip: If you want a quite room because you like to sleep late, don't stay in the rooms with the balco...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank lizdxn16
Reviewed 8 July 2013

When I first arrived in Ponce, I stayed in the Hotel Melia, courtesy of my new employer, while I looked for an apartment for my wife and myself. I was very pleased with this property. Not only was I downtown, so to speak (downtown is not very large), I was near several Ponce landmarks, some excellent restaurants, and I enjoyed a very enjoyable "home town" feel to my new home city. Like most all hotel lobbies in Puerto Rico, the lobby at this hotel was not air-conditioned, but pleasant, nicely appointed, and staffed with wonderful and helpful desk personnel. The room I stayed in was small, but very clean, comfortable, and nicely appointed. The maid service was excellent, too. For an older, retro/vintage hotel, this was a very nice experience. I am glad I was able to stay there for my first week in in Ponce.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DLL655
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Hotel Melia is nestled just off the main square in the historic part of Ponce, so this is an historic hotel, it from 1895!! Its perfect, the room is cozy, the service is excellent and it has parking and a pool! The terrace at the roof is perfect to take the breakfast and begin your journey to Ponce, is within walking distance to several shops, sites and restaurants.!! I'm planning to came back!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Viajeros2008Caguas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Ponce Plaza Hotel and Casino
Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino
Howard Johnson Hotel Ponce PR
Hotel Belgica
Hotel Belgica
#4 of 7 in Ponce
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929
Costa Bahia Hotel, Convention Center & Casino

Been to Hotel Melia Ponce? Share your experiences!