“Hotel Melia - Great location, clean hotel but small rooms”
Review of Hotel Melia Ponce

Hotel Melia Ponce
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Hotel Melia - Great location, clean hotel but small rooms”
Reviewed 30 January 2011

There are four floors to his hotel but the top floor is used for (free) continental breakfast and banquets. Something to remember if you stay on a Friday or Saturday night. From the 3rd floor you hear everything. Our room was a king size room which had a desk in it. There was little room for anything else. But for short term, it is fine. The bed was average for sleeping in. There is nice pool for relaxing and paid parking ($3) with a security guard which is good if plan to park for the day and the street only allows metered parking. We were driving and it was easy to find our way to the hotel, but the hotel itself has two signs. So when we arrived at what he thought was the main enterance, it was closed. Turns out this is the side and the enterance is 1/2 a block right around the corner. The hotel is in a central location and there is park across the street, shops and restuarants and ice cream shops all within blocks. It is close enough to Castillo Serralles and Cruceta del Vigia, both of which we toured, that you can see them from the hotel. I wouldn't recommend walking as it is pretty much up hill all the way. There is also a poor example of a Japanese garden. It is a small area with some bonsai trees and a koi pond. I wouldn't pay to go see it if I knew before hand. Breakfast was inlcuded and included cereal, bread, corn bread, donuts, and beef empanadas with coffee, tea and juice. Sitting out on the open deck was nice but the pigeons were insane so we had to move inside. We ate dinner at Cafe Tomas which was right around the corner and served fantics dinners. The hotel also offered Wifi which worked great.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Like many on here have commented - the Melia is a grand dame who needs some refurbishing. However, having read this, I knew what to expect. The pleasant staff, excellent location, and price make up for the dated appearance. One word of advice to the hotel - do something about the continental breakfast! It is awful! I can't understand why, in an area that has year-round access to fresh fruit & coffee plantations, there isn't any fresh fruit in the continental breakfast and the coffee is so awful!

• Stayed December 2010
Wheaton, Maryland
Reviewed 2 December 2010

I wish that I could have seen this hotel in its heyday- the lobby is the best-looking part of it today. Still, the bed was comfy (perhaps a little too soft) & the rooftop dining area was nice on a sunny day (even if the view faces away from the square & is somewhat obscured by buildings). We didn't linger & would recommend this for no more than one night. If you're just passing through Ponce like us then why not save a couple of bucks? Downers included mosquitos in our room & the fact that the staff didn't tell us about the parking lot out back until we checked out the next morning. Still, there was only 1 other group besides us at breakfast- more toast or juice anyone?

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 November 2010

What can I say, I like older hotels. They have some charm and history. Nice lobby. This hotel certainly wasn't perfect but it was nice I thought. The staff were very friendly and the room was nice enough. I think it was good value for the money and the location was great. Just don't eat at Cafe Tomas, the Pizzalato place across the square was pretty good though.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Kennebunkport, Maine
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I never rate hotels, but feel complelled to give my opinion of this place. We stayed at this hotel back in February 2010 while taking our daughter on a trip to celebrate her high school graduation. It was one of the more expensive places we were staying while working our way around the island from Vieques to San Juan. This hotel clearly had had days of past glory. The lobby was once beautiful, but today is filled with a hodge podge of furniture, worn and dirty. The room we stayed in had nice french doors that open to street overlooking the Parque de Bombas. It was a beautiful view. Unfortunately, the beauty stopped there. The room was dirty, dingy and gross. The carpet had obviously not been cleaned or, heaven forbid, replaced in 20 years. The furniture was old and used. In my mind it had not one redeeming quality. I felt so uncomfortable that I could barely sleep. I felt the bed was infested with bed bugs. I consider myself to be a very flexible and tolerent person willing to overlook a few issues here and there. Not this time

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Tracy207

Travellers are raving about these Ponce hotels

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Was in Ponce on trip back to island with my Mom, having lived there when I was very young. We shared a room at the Melia. It's a great location, right off plaza and next to the Parque de Bombas, heart of the city, within walking distance of everything. The hotel is very much like a 2 or 3 star hotel in Spain, charming lobby, very nice staff. The room we got was right out of the 80's, really needed to be remodeled, but the beds were fine, seemed clean. The free breakfast is pretty paltry - cornflakes and pastries with coffee and juice but it is set on a terrace with a lovely view.

• Stayed June 2010
Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Spent one night in this hotel for an activity I was attending nearby. Staff is really nice and willing to help. Room was impressively clean. You could tell it had been cleaned up recently, and that they were expecting us. Did not use their parking, since I found a spot on the street nearby, but the cost is $3 for 24 hours, which I guess is not bad. Continental breakfast was varied and tasty. Would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Ponce Plaza Hotel and Casino
Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino
Howard Johnson Hotel Ponce PR
Costa Bahia Hotel, Convention Center & Casino
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Cabo Rojo

Been to Hotel Melia Ponce? Share your experiences!