“Beautiful & excellent history lesson”

El Museo Castillo Serralles
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Ponce Historical and Cultural Tour from San Juan
Ranked #3 of 46 things to do in Ponce
More attraction details
Owner description: Evoking the era of the sugar barons of Puerto Rico, this beautiful Spanish Revival mansion was built in 1930 for the Serrallés family, owners of the Don Q rum distillery.
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I went to the Castillo with my immediate family & my great aunt & uncle (who are from Ponce) that we met for the first time. The video was informative & quick (about 10 mins). Our tour guide was extremely friendly & informative. We took the last tour at 5 & he did a great job of getting us through the house before it closed, but also making sure that we had enough time to enjoy each stop in the house. The butterfly garden was slightly disappointing. It seemed as if there were more cocoons than actual butterflies. The focal point of the trip was standing out on the terrace & seeing the beautiful views of the city of Ponce with the mountains as the backdrop. The formal dining room was also absolutely beautiful. It's a shame that you cannot take pictures inside, but you're not distracted & can fully enjoy the mansion.

1  Thank LovestoTravel121
in 9 reviews
"local history"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This castle museum provides an amazing glimpse into the family that built the south of Puerto Rico (the Serralles). The views from the castle are breathtaking and will make you never want to leave. The history that the museum provides was incredibly interesting as well as the furniture and things left behind by the estate. This is definitely a treasure in ponce!

1  Thank Carlye P
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This mansion belonged to the rum inventor of Don Q rums. Wish the distillary was nearby for tours/sampling. The house itself was breathtaking. Our guide was a little hard to understand at times but was patient with us when we asked questions. The butterfly garden was a disappointment, there were only 3 butterflies and a dead hummingbird. Across the way was the Vigia cross you could go to the top and get a view, however the view from the mansion was more spectacular. Finally, the Japanese garden was beautiful and peaceful.

1  Thank Donna T
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This big mansion that the people of puerto rico call Castle because the construction takes an important place for the economy of this island. They show you a mini movie (15 mints) and explain why the house is like that, how build, what tools use and everything about it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I visited the Castillo with my family (party of 8). My father had always wanted to visit this place but never got the chance, so road trip to Ponce it was!!

I've been to this place 3 times before (last time like 5yrs ago) and loved it!!! This time around, I thought the tour was a bit disappointing.

Previous tours were longer, more informative but I think the biggest difference here was the tour guide. He was mechanical and impersonal, like he was reciting a memorized script. Having visited the Castillo before, I knew he wasn't giving the full explanation of this AMAZING place. He rushed the tour and everyone there. The tour was over in like 45 mins.

Price was $8.50 for adults, $4.25 seniors and children. After paying $34 in admission tickests, I expected the same great tour I had before. My dad was a little upset with the tour and guide but in awe with the beauty and workmanship of this historic home.

If you are in Ponce, it's a must. Just hope you do not get the same guide as we did.

1  Thank travelerbaker