“Worth a visit”

El Yunque Rainforest Half-Day Trip from San Juan
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Covering 28,000 acres, and receiving more than 200 inches of rain per year, El Yunque National Forest is the only tropical rain forest in the US Forest System. Noted for its biodiversity, the forest is home to more than 400 different plant species. It has more than a dozen maintained trails for hiking, picnic pavilions, stone towers, rivers, waterfalls, and an interpretive visitors' center.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Machesney Park
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We paid $4 per person to stop at the visitor center and that was nice. They gave us a map and talked to us about our experience and some recommendations. We had rented a car from Charlie car rentals and took a mini power boat tour in the morning and went to the rainforest in the afternoon. The day worked out great! Very beautiful pictures from here. There are two waterfalls off mile marker 9 if you can't make it to la mina. La Minas trail had been wiped out and the alternative was up and down 500 steps. We were thrilled with what we saw.

• Finnish first
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Over hyped rainforest”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was expecting more from this excursion... The hike was beautiful but the actual waterfall we were hiking to was nothing spectacular in my eyes.. other people in my tour group were confused as well regarding all the hype... I feel like my time would have been better spent exploring the city or laying on the beach... not to mention, I booked this through my hotel so I paid a ridiculous amount... if you really want to go, I would never pay more than $20... wish I knew that before hand... however, to give it some credit, I did enjoy the hike and it was something different to do...

However, the car ride up there was awful for me since I got very car sick... all the winding roads plus it was a rather far drive... I would tell people to skip this and instead go explore the city life, enjoy the food, drinks, and beaches.

4 Thank Kristen M
Albemarle, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beautiful and no bugs”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The tour guide was very nice and informative; he gave us plenty of time to explore and shope and he took us to an authentic place to eat....his name was Joey, and he had his little apprentice with him (aka.....his son). Would go again if ever given the opportunity.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Susan B
Traverse City, Michigan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

You have to go here if you're in Puerto Rico! Stop at the visitors center on your way in a pick up a trail map. Wear good walking shoes.

Lockport, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“El Yunque Rain Forest Tour”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

If you decide to take this tour, book with Adames Luxury Transportation. Manual was our driver and his knowledge of Puerto Rican culture and history was AMAZING!!! We were with him for approx 6 hours ($60). He took us through small towns on the way to the rain forest - He knows everyone!! Took us to a roadside eatery and we stopped at a gift shop. Our rain forest tour included El Portal and several stops along the road. He gave us time to enjoy all the stops. He did take us to the waterfall which is 500 steps down and 500 steps back up!!! Its a very narrow path and there are groups going both ways. Once we got down there, it was so crowded to really enjoy. To me it wasnt worth the trip back up...but I did get some good exercise!!!

2 Thank 573dianes