“At home in the Rain Forest”
Review of Rainforest Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Yunque National Forest
Rainforest Inn
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I just returned from an 8 night stay at the Rain Forest Inn- I wish it could have been longer.

The pictures on the website don't really do the place justice. We stayed in the Villa and it was just perfect. All of the furniture was super comfy - great for lounging around reading books and listening to the sounds of the jungle and staring at the gorgeous view. The place is also super clean.

I was a bit apprehensive about staying in the jungle for so long because back home I am air conditioning dependent and the mosquitoes favorite target. I was prepared for a hot itchy week of open windows and chasing rare breezes. I am pleased to say that my fears were unfounded. There are good screens on all of the windows that kept the bugs out, the fans in the villa were plentiful and the high ceilings kept the worst of the hot air away. I melt into a pathetic puddle when it gets over 80 degrees, but I had no problems at the Rain Forest Inn. I also got hardly any mosquito bites- I get more walking to work in the mornings at home than I got in the jungle.

The breakfasts! Oh my goodness! I don't know where to begin. They take breakfast very seriously at the Rain Forest Inn. You get served heaping plates of fresh delicious food. If I managed to eat it all (because I couldn't help myself)- I didn't want to eat again until dinner. We stayed for 8 nights so we sampled the entire menu. My favorites were the eggs florentine served with fresh fruit and perfect potatoes, the guava stuffed french toast, and the asparagus and Parmesan omelet served with a delighful mango mimosa fresh fruit and a croissant.

One of the advantages of staying in a small family run inn is that you are treated like family. In addition to being a vegetarian I have food allergies- I got great recommendations for restaurants that would likely be able to accommodate my dietary restrictions (cannot say enough good things about Vejigante). We also got great recommendations for activities that would suit us. I am a scientist- I wanted to see a bio bay- Melanie was able to point us to the nerdiest tour (night walk in Las Cabezas). My husband and I came to Puerto Rico to get away from people- Bill directed us to a "hidden beach" that was teeming with wildlife, had some shade and very few people- it was just perfect.

The Rain Forest Inn is conveniently located so you can easily drive to beaches, rain forest and other area attractions. We drove all over the place "sampling" beaches and trails. We did a day trip to Arecibo and the caves. We went South to Punta Tuna (light house) and found a surfing beach. We hiked in El Yunque National Forest. There isn't a pool on property and there is only one trail (which is fantastic- do it if the weather permits) so you have motivation to go out and explore the area.

If you are thinking about booking the Rain Forest Inn for your next vacation- do it do it now You won't be disappointed

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ADahood

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I arrived at the Rainforest Inn with high hopes gleaned from their website, Facebook/ tripadvisor reviews and multiple conversations with Bill.....perhaps too good to be true? NOT!! The outstanding experience, with my daughter, 2 daughters in law, 3 mid-teen granddaughters and niece, exceeded expectations on multiple counts:

~The natural beauty of the rainforest and cultivated gardens, pond and vistas

~ Lovely and tastefully decorated accommodations w/ great views

~ Bill and Laurie: warm and welcoming hosts (plus four legged Maya & Gracie) who were always available without being intrusive. From our first conversation Bill provided information both practical and educational. His "spot on" recommendations that we had time to enjoy were: vendors (Eastwinds sail/snorkel, Kayaking Puerto Rico bio bay, El Yunque zipline) and eateries (Boardriders, Jefe Burger, Viegegante where we celebrated my grandson's 29th birthday in a very memorable way, and El Verde ( we ordered take out for a splendid array of PR favorites). Mind you, El Verde has no take out menu or menu but my daughter and daughter in law thoroughly enjoyed the ordering experience, watching the cook chopping up BBQ chicken w/ machete and we all loved the garlic gravy!

~ CeeJay was a bonus ray of sunshine, helpful in so many ways; makes fantastic pina colodas; do you deliver to South Jersey ;-)

~ Melanie, memorable breakfasts; fellow New Jerseyian; thanks for introduction to Revolution Bombay Chai tea, fruit sushi and ginger pancakes!

~ a special request that could have been understandably declined was cheerfully fulfilled, an indication that Laurie and Bill are innkeepers dedicated to their guests comfort and enjoyment

~ the beautiful and rugged hike to waterfall pool (* cautionary note: read Bill's blog on recommended footwear. I had not done so before coming so walked w/ no grip worn sneakers that made the muddy slick trail over steep ascents and descents much more challenging).

I have traveled far and wide visiting countless B & B's and the Rainforest Inn has replaced my previous favorite (in Scotland) as number 1. One of my grandsons, who stayed less than 24 hours later in our stay said "I just left this place and I miss it already". My sentiment too.

Bill and Laurie, keep doing what you are doing ; it is everything one could wish for in a great inn. Thanks you for providing magical PR memories; we can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank simbanunsal
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife and I just got back from Puerto Rico and the Rainforest Inn. Due to our schedule and the availability, we were only able to stay one night and it wasn't enough. The day we arrived, my flight had diverted to Aguadilla and my wife's car was totaled in a flood. Needless to say, we arrived at the Inn rather late. Bill, Laurie and the entire staff were very accommodating with our late arrival. After being served a Pina Colada upon check in (that definitely helped take the edge off), Bill gave us a quick tour and got us checked into our room. We stayed in the Villa and it was great. There was plenty of room, the bed was comfortable, they supplied everything for us to make coffee in the morning and we had a great view in the morning. Breakfast was served and 9AM and they even made a special plate for me to accommodate a food allergy. The breakfast was great. We packed our bags and checked out but we still wanted to hike in the rainforest to the waterfall. They showed us were trail started and said to take our time and have fun. The hike was fun (although, very muddy with all the rain so prepare accordingly) and the waterfall and "pool" was refreshing. Once we made it back they let us get cleaned up in a spare bathroom and shower and we were on our way.

We couldn't be happier with our experience there and we are already planning our trip back to stay longer.

Also, there is a place at the bottom of 186 called (I think) El Verde BBQ, or something similar. Do yourself a favor and eat there. It is awesome. If you are into garlic...definitely get a plate of the Yuca.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rainforest Inn during June 2013 for three days. It was our 15th anniversary, and we decided to see Puerto Rico. Since the Rainforest Inn had so many shining reviews, we decided to book a stay here.

Was it what I expected? Nope. It was much better than what I'd anticipated. Here's a brief account of what went down.

The drive to the property was a bit daunting. Driving anywhere in PR can be daunting, but the trip takes you through some twists and turns through a hillside road. Other (local) drivers didn't seem to mind careening around the curves, but let's just say I was a bit more cautious. Plus, I was on the lookout for the turn to lead us to the Inn.

Once I found the road (following the directions given to me by the proprietor), the drive took us into more jungle and past less homes and buildings. Eventually, we made it to our hideaway in the El Yunque rainforest.

The first person to greet us was Bill, the owner/builder/architect/guide/guru of the Rainforest Inn. Oh yeah - and his trusty sidekick Maya. Maya, an intimidating Belgian Malinois, was a sweet doggie the whole time we were there but I have a feeling she could do some damage to an intruder if necessary. I felt safer having her there for sure!

Not only were Bill and Maya there, but CJ (a public relations natural) was there to greet us. Anyone who hands me a Pina Colada minutes after I've been driving in PR for the first time is OK in my book. In fact she and Bill both made us feel at home and welcomed, immediately.

The grounds of the Rainforest Inn are beautiful, interesting, and peaceful. Plants are everywhere - not only are you surrounded by the rainforest but there are cultivated plants all over the grounds. If you stay there, you'll inevitably eat some of the plants in your breakfast - cherry tomatoes and watercress for instance. (And the breakfasts were all amazing. More on that later.)

Our room felt like a home away from home. We stayed in the villa (so I can't speak for the other accommodations) and it had everything we desired: the front door opens into a bedroom, which leads to the kitchen (with refrigerator, table, plates, cups, silverware, sink, and the most important part:; coffeemaker). The living space has a sofa, chairs, and another bed as well as a bookcase with all variety of reading material. (If you just wanted to stay at the Inn and read all day, you'd probably find something of interest. But you won't do that will you?)

The bathroom has a shower as well as a separate clawfoot tub. A word of advice/warning: Don't expect to take long, luxurious, steamy showers. Have one before your trip so you can remember what it's like. But at the Rainforest Inn you will either have to take a cold shower or run a hot bath (which might take a few minutes to fill). I was OK with that, but some people might have a hard time - so I thought I'd mention it.

The villa has a back patio as well. It's the perfect spot for drinking coffee (or Pina Colada) and looking out at the rainforest. Your backyard is the rainforest, descending downward for who-knows-how-far, and the view is extraordinary. As an accompanying soundtrack, you can listen to the celebrated coqui frogs' call as well as other creatures of the forest. Some of the sounds of the jungle could have been straight out the Jurassic Park sound effects - and I don't know which animals I was hearing - but it was a welcome and exotic change from the sounds of the city. (And by the way, the sounds of the rainforest can be fairly loud. You might want to bring some earplugs just in case you can't fall asleep to the din of countless small animals. Just saying.)

If you get up the next morning feeling like doing some exercise, you can avail yourself of the yoga studio. I don't know how well it works for yoga (since I don't do yoga), but I found that I was able to do some Tai Chi and practice some Krav Maga just fine. So maybe it's really an all-purpose exercise room disguised as a yoga studio. Either way, it was just what I wanted and it was honestly just really cool to be able to do my morning routine while looking out at the jungle! I saw a massage table in the studio and Bill had mentioned that we would be able to book a masseuse if we wanted. (We didn't get the chance to do that, unfortunately.)

While staying at the Rainforest Inn, you'll have the privilege of being served some spectacular breakfasts (cooked up by Melanie). After eating her omelets or especially the guava French toast you won't want to leave. (The had to make me leave when our stay was over, actually. Maya had to kick me out.) Seriously, it was superb food, and it's all vegetarian. I'm not a vegetarian, but if all vegetarian food tasted so good, I wouldn't mind at all. Tea was available as well as some really awesome smoothies served by CJ.

Whenever you need it, Bill can tell you where to go, what to do, and then tell you where to go that no one else knows about (well, except for him and previous Rainforest Inn adventurers). Don't mind that little sign or that gate and you might get to see or go somewhere amazing. (That's all I'm saying about that.)

While staying at the Rainforest Inn - and if you're not a vegetarian - check out the BBQ place at the foot of the hill (the intersection of 186 and hwy 3). CJ made some good recommendations of where to eat (and which of the kioskos were best), and Melanie had some great beach advice when we told here we wanted to "see the sea" in Luquillo.

So, this is yet another shining review for the Inn. The staff were gracious, helpful, and knowledgable and the place itself was comfortable and welcoming. It really felt like a home away from home, and if I make it to Puerto Rico again I will definitely book another stay at the Rainforest Inn. I recommend that you do, too.

Room Tip: We loved the villa.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shawn P
rainforestinn, Owner at Rainforest Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review and for calling our attention to a problem we thought we had already fixed. We try in our own little ways to save the planet; we recycle, conserve water with our rainfall collecting and save electricity every way we can to avoid fossil fuel burning and global warming. It turns out that when it is cloudy several days in a row we need to supplement our hot water (and there might just have to be some fossil fuel burning involved). Our guests are nature lovers like us but we never want to let anything be a detraction from their comfortable, and relaxing (maybe a little luxurious) enjoyment of the rainforest. From now on there will be plenty of hot water in the villa regardless of how cloudy the skies are – even though the oil companies might occasionally be a tad richer for it.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed at the Inn for 2 nights, which was not long enough to completely absorb all the natural beauty this B&B had to offer! The setting was perfect! Out of the way and secluded, but yet just 4 miles from the main highway. The entire property was covered with either tropical flowers and trees, with the floral aroma in the air. One of the parts I enjoyed the most, was lying in bed with the windows open, listening to the sounds of the night, lulling us to sleep! Fantastic!! I don't where else we could have had such beautiful accomodations on the edge of the El Yunque Rainforest. Melanie made the most wonderful breakfasts and was a wealth of information about Puerto Rico. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: The chalet is HUGE!! There is a room that overlooks the property, a kitchen, and a much smaller bed...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We loved every second of our short stay here! Everyone should visit this secluded paradise. If you appreciate a strong dose of wilderness with your luxury vacation, you should come here. Let the forest lull you to sleep and then wake up to a gourmet breakfast in the morning. No jungle lizard has ever been more sated on food, rum, hospitality, and lush ambience than these happy travelers. We will return again and again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed upstairs in the chalet for 4 nights and wish we could have stayed longer! Bill, Laurie, and the staff were very helpful and really made our stay great!
I talked to Bill a couple times on the phone while booking the trip and he also gave recommendations for places to stay and go for the remainder of our week trip in Puerto Rico. I slightly injured my knee one week before arriving so I was not able to do the hike on their property. However, Bill recommended a secret trail in the rain forest that I could handle with my knee, and it was amazing with a nice size waterfall and swimming area. Bill also guided us to an awesome private beach in Fajardo.
The breakfast was really fantastic and included fresh juice or fresh smoothies. The breakfast they provide is vegetarian, I am vegan and they prepared a special breakfast for me for no additional charge. I thought that was nice since they only prepare breakfast for 4-6 people. My wife is not vegan and she really enjoyed the breakfasts as well.
The chalet was really great for us because it included a full size stove in the kitchen. It is basically a 2 bedroom apartment on the second floor with a three sided balcony. The Villa doesn't have a stove but it is larger and has a fireplace. I recommend you fully reviewing their website before you book. I was a little worried about the lack of air conditioning, but it was very comfortable and they have fans throughout which is sufficient when it’s warmer during the day. At night it is amazing to have the windows open and listen to the coqui frogs and critters of the rainforest. The property is beautiful and peaceful as well as secure.
I highly recommend the Rainforest Inn if you are planning a trip to Puerto Rico!

Room Tip: The chalet has a full size stove / oven in the kitchen and the villa only has the microwave. We prep...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
The Dreamcatcher
The Dreamcatcher
#2 of 30 in San Juan
Casa Sol Bed and Breakfast

Been to Rainforest Inn? Share your experiences!