“Nature peace quiet comfort & yummy breakfast”
Review of Rainforest Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Yunque National Forest
Rainforest Inn
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Just returned home from four perfect days celebrating our anniversary. So glad we choose to spend it at the villa.
Where do you check in and host serve you a piña colada? Breakfast was different each morning and I'm not sure which was my favorite.
The Villa is cozy and comfy it was just the two of us but there is an extra bedroom. Bathroom has tub and shower, plenty of bath and beach towels.
The bedding and beds are all white fresh linens and we slept like babies with all the windows open.
We chose to eat out and only used the kitchen for coffee in the AM and wine and chocolate in the PM. No cooking for me on vacation.
There is a nice yoga room that I planned to use but never got around to it.
We stayed busy all four days hiking trails and enjoying waterfalls and never even opened our books.
If you want to enjoy nature in comfort Laurie & Bill have you covered!
Melanie is very helpful with directions and things to do in the area. And Maya & Gracie made us feel right at home. Love finding cool spots like this. We will return!

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 27 October 2013

As I write, we are winding down towards our third and last night at the Rainforest Inn, on the edge of the El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico. The Rainforest Inn is a great location for exploring the eastern half of Puerto Rico. Bill and Laurie, our innkeepers, made us feel very welcomed. One of them was always around to offer advice on things to do. We are a party of four and visited the Rainforest Inn for my birthday weekend. Our 2-bedroom apartment (the Chalet, fully equipped, with a full kitchen and living room) was very comfortable. The living room was perfect for reviewing each day’s activities. And, between very active days and early nightfall, we were feeling ready to lay down for the night by about 8:30 and awoke with the sun at about 6:00 am. The sounds of the rainforest at night provided a great soundtrack for our sleep hours. Other than nature, the nights were absolutely quiet. We were up and out very early on our first morning, so we missed breakfast. Laurie brought up some granola bars, fruit and juice, so we didn't have to go without breakfast. On the second morning, we found out what we missed! This morning’s breakfast included asparagus and parmesan omelets, croissants with guava-flavored butter, fruit and yogurt, and a variety of mimosas. We are looking forward to breakfast tomorrow, our last morning. We all can offer our unreserved recommendations to the Rainforest Inn. We would not hesitate to come and stay with Bill and Laurie again in the future.

Room Tip: The Rainforest Inn website provides excellent information for deciding which of the two units to sta...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 2Tuscans
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The Chalet was decorated as described. Breakfast was superb thanks to Melanie. What I didn't like... Bonnie had to walk past our windows to get to her area. Not at all private as described. Construction sounds during day. I emailed Bill ahead of time & inquired about laundry & was told that
There was facilities in the gym? for guests. Upon arrival Laurie told me to use laundromat. I came off of a 7 day cruise & packed based on washing 1st nite at inn. Did not want to use time at laundromat. Created stress for me. Bleach used cleaning bathroom ruined my shirt when leaned on sink. Warned when arrived about Maya (dog). May bite, rules posted regarding dog. Really? I don't think appropriate to have to warn guests.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
rainforestinn, Owner at Rainforest Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

We’re really happy when our guest’s love our breakfasts. We do apologize for any perception of lack of privacy that was felt from other guests using those outside porch stairs. The stairs are shared with the adjoining jungle suite and pass in near of one of the chalet living room windows. All the windows have blinds for privacy. These comments do remind us of the paramount importance of privacy and we will schedule our plans to reposition those stairs during our next off-season closing.

We never do any construction when guests are here. We did move some old wood and furniture off the property one morning because burning the wood here in the rainforest is not part of our eco-friendly lifestyle. It is always very quiet and peaceful here but also it must be beautiful on our grounds everywhere with nothing unsightly. We are sorry that we didn’t explain why we had to move that wood off the property.

We occasionally offer our washing machine for guest’s use but it was under repair at that time. We suggest the nearby Laundromat in Luquillo because it is “full service” and all you do is drop your clothes off and pick them up later all folded and stacked.

We love and appreciate our dog Maya, as do most of our guests. She is a Belgian Malanois who was breed on the military base and is very smart and obedient. We allow Maya to guard our office and bedroom (all she does is bark and look very nervous if someone approaches our off-limits personal space) and we do inform guests of this but otherwise she is just a big baby and gentle as can be. Yes it is true we have some rules posted about Maya, about not going on hikes with the guests and that she isn’t allowed in any of the rooms nor to be fed. Everyone loves Maya and you can read about her in many of these other reviews. I will be careful, after reading this review, to explain that Maya would never bite anyone. I’m very sorry and sincerely apologize if I gave the impression that Maya bites.

We use Lysol cleaner (not bleach) on the fixtures and we will make sure that it is absolutely dry now as part of our cleaning check list. We pride ourselves in immediately addressing any concerns and hope to make everyone’s stay in our little paradise a vacation dream come true.

Because we live here and love it we are glad that you (our future guests reading this) can come here and enjoy our rainforest lodging also.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed with the three of us at the Rainforest Inn from 11-14 October in the Villa.A wonderful experience.
- do go there when you are looking for a different experience as staying overnight in the rainforest with all its sounds and smells.
- Laurie and Bill are truly great hosts. They enjoy showing you the best places to visit. Hospitality is second nature for both of them.
- Laurie and her staff prepare superb tasting breakfasts with a daily changing menu.
- The Villa is well decorated. It shows that Laurie (and Bill?) have given it a personal touch. It is as if you are a guest in their own home although you have the privacy of your own apartment with kitchen, living room (incl bed), bathroom and bedroom. Also a nice porch with a beautiful view.
- We loved the sounds of the rainforest at night, it is a calming sound.
- They have a trail (for a large part on their private grounds) that takes about 45 minutes one way and leads to a small pond and waterfall. A beautiful trip that takes you into the rainforest and during which you will not encounter anyone. It was a special experience!

So whenever you are in Puerto Rico and want to experience the rainforest, are looking for great hospitality in a beautiful setting then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had to leave quickly and didn't get to properly provide feedback to Bill and Laurie, so hopefully I can do so here. The Inn is overall beautiful and comfortable, and we'd recommend it highly to anyone interested in staying near El Yunque! We immediately felt right at home because our villa had a fireplace, chairs and a couch, and a kitchenette. It's beautifully decorated in a sort of "tropical" style that matched the location of the Inn very well. Since we were honeymooning, Bill and Laurie provided us with champagne in an ice bucket and glasses when we arrived, as well as a sweet card congratulating us! The view from our room was amazing and gorgeous; on a clear day, the ocean is visible in the clearing between the trees. The property is a nature lover's paradise, covered in a variety of thriving tropical plants and inhabited by small lizards, snails, and birds. Very few bugs got into our room (probably due to our own carelessness in closing doors) and there was no need for air conditioning on the mountain. We slept extremely well here. There was a large bathtub (aside from the shower) and bath salts provided for us! There is also a beautiful and clean yoga room!! I was a bit hot when I went in there midday, but it's perfect for early morning yoga or late night meditation. (Yoga mats and a large cushion can be borrowed.)
I can't say enough about Melanie, who cleaned our room and cooked us gourmet breakfasts each morning! She was wonderfully helpful and pleasant. A note to travelers: the breakfasts are definitely heavy, so if you're used to eating light breakfasts (or can't eat very much in one sitting like me), you can ask Melanie to wrap your leftovers and keep them in your fridge for later in the day. Also, you can opt out of breakfast completely and purchase something light to keep in the fridge as well. The tea provided was awesome! I had at least one cup each morning. The only improvement I can think of is to offer non caffeinated teas as well, for guests who can't have caffeine or who are strongly affected by it, but love soothing tea anyway. Another note to travelers is that Bill and Laurie have two dogs and a cat; keep in mind if you have allergies or are afraid of dogs. However, both dogs were friendly, and the older one was very well trained and gentle. The younger is a small puppy still being trained, but wasn't seen or heard much at all. I am usually uncomfortable around dogs but felt very safe with the ones I encountered here. Thanks again Bill and Laurie!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret K
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The only reason I don't want to write this is that I don't want you stealing my opportunity to stay here. It is amazingly wonderful--the grounds are beautiful, the accommodations are charming and spacious, the hosts are lovely and helpful, and the activities around it are unnumerable. We went horseback riding on the beach, hiking to the waterfall, ate fish tacos and drank local beer. This a completely different experience than the cheesy touristy crap.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MerrittRachel
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rainforest Inn and were blown away by how much we enjoyed our stay. We came to the Inn after staying 3 nights in Vieques. The Inn is so comfortable and quiet. All we heard was frogs and rain. We appreciated the nice breakfasts and spending time with our friendly hosts and their 2 adorable dogs. We did the hike on the big tree trail to the waterfall in the pouring rain, and we barely noticed the rain. There was no need for AC in the room, as it never got warm. We had a hard time leaving, as the place is so beautiful. We would recommend others stay here who really want to get away from it all.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Villa room which is very large, and has 2 bedrooms. Loads of space to get comfortab...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward B
Also consider these accommodations in or near El Yunque National Forest
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Casa Sol Bed and Breakfast
Dream Inn
Dream Inn
#3 of 30 in San Juan

Been to Rainforest Inn? Share your experiences!