“GREAT PLACE”
Review of Rainforest Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Yunque National Forest
Rainforest Inn
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“GREAT PLACE”
Reviewed 5 April 2007

What a beautiful paradise. I am already looking for an excuse to go back. The villa is unique, comfortable and very very nice. The owners treat you like friends, not strangers. We spent a very busy 3 days/nights here and did not take advantage of the beautiful grounds. Next time we will plan more down time to just hang out. We loved the pet dogs and cats. If there is anywhere we will return to in PR, this is it!

• Liked — Very comfortable, home like feeling.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Prodance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Minnesota
Reviewed 31 March 2007

We chose to visit Puerto Rico for a week in mid-March, and half of our stay was at the Rainforest Inn. After our great experience there, I wish we'd spent our whole vacation there. The accomodations were clean and comfortable, and the sounds of the Rainforest allowed for the best sleep I've had in years. Employees of the Rainforest were very helpful in guiding us to restaurants and to a beautiful and secluded beach area (we were the only people there).

Every morning, they brought us a wonderful breakfast. The full kitchen in our room was also nice; since there isn't too much in the way of vegetarian restaurants in the area, this allowed us to cook a few meals.

The entrance to the national park is just a few minutes down the road, where you can find a beautiful hike.

All in all, an A+ experience. We'll definitely be going back to the Rainforest Inn; three days was way too short. They also have other rooms, too, and we'd love to check those out. Wireless internet access is available as well, so those looking to do a little work while traveling will be comfortable here.

Enjoy,
Mike F

• Liked — Cottage feel, proximity to rainforest
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MidwestMichael
North Carolina
Reviewed 5 March 2007

We stayed at the Rainforest Inn from Feb 28th to March 3rd. Bill and Laurie were excellent hosts and greeted us warmly. On arrival we were served a wonderful Pina Colada with a fresh pineapple slice. The sounds of the rainforest were incredible - the coqui frogs had quite an orchestra going on - what a tranquil lullaby to fall asleep to. We stayed in the Chalet - it was very clean, comfortable and well equipped. The gormet breakfast was delicious. We went on a private guided hike through the rainforest to a waterfall - right off the property. This place is definitely a "piece of heaven" - yes Bill and Laurie and still are doing construction on this quiet retreat - but there was never any noise or eye sores - the property was beautiful and very well maintained - would we go back? You bet! We are already planning our trip to return next year.

• Liked — The view and tranquility
  • Disliked — did not dislike anything
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Goldilocks&Soulmate
cambridge, Ma
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Myself, my husband and our two adult daughters spent 5 days here and had one of those vacations that are importantly wonderful. This was the first time we had traveled instead of celebrating the holidays at home and this was definitely the place to which to go . (It's hard not to use cliches when writing but i'm going to plow ahead and use them anyway). The rooms (and beds) were very comfortable and warmly furnished. The view from our windows was spectacular and each morning we woke up to a different kind of weather. (each day was a kind of weather montage - from hot sun to tropical downpour - never lasting long enough to be anything but exhilarating.) Bill and Laurie are wonderfully welcoming hosts and extremely knowledgeble about both the Island, its culture, and had lots of suggestions about things to do and places to see. (they also seemed to be very astute at suggesting things that very much matched our family's interests-) My suggestion for active people is to do anything Shane has to offer. We went on a walk through the rainforest up to waterfalls that was completely exhilerating and challenging enough so that we (the older generation) could feel very proud of ourselves. We also went on bikes to a beach that was great as well. Since I somehow missed the Breakfast part of the Inn's description, the elegantly served repast came as a complete and wonderful surprise that first morning.The breakfasts Laurie makes are completely out of this world - and more importantly- wildly superior to any breakfast that I have ever made for my family.
So clearly I recommend this place highly - we're looking forward to going back.

• Liked — location and hosts
  • Disliked — clothes got very wet
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank shacai
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 12 January 2007

Not wishing to rehash what other reviews here have described so well, we heartily second many of the wonderful things others have said about the beauty of the place, the cleanliness and charm of the villa (Laurie has a wonderfully artful sense of decorating style), and the friendliness of the hosts. Yes, Bill can be a little rough around the edges, as one of the other reviewers commented, but you shouldn't let it put you off because he is generally friendly and helpful, albeit a little aggressive in matters of payment (we didn't go on the guided hike so many have touted in reviews here, and in the guest log book, because it seemed overpriced). What we especially liked about our hosts was the effort they made to gauge our interest in their attentiveness. They were very respectful of our privacy (we were on our honeymoon) yet also invited us into their kitchen to hang out with them and share a meal, which we greatly appreciated. Signs of construction did not bother us; this is certainly a venue worth expanding. Instead of complaining, ask them to take you on our tour of the site and tell you about their plans for expansion. This place is a work in progress, and we enjoyed that aspect of it rather than finding it off-putting. The one thing we did not enjoy about our stay has nothing to do with the Rainforest Inn, but with where it is situated in Puerto Rico. The rain forest is beautiful, but getting to the inn or going anywhere from there requires traveling along Route 3, which is spectacularly ugly. The Rainforest Inn is a welcome refuge from it... but then you have to go back out there when you leave!

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tfrank4
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 7 November 2006

This place is BEAUTIFUL!! As a research assistant working on my Master thesis in Forestry Conservation, I have worked in Puerto Rico for two summers and seen most of the major tourist attractions the island has to offer. I was lucky enough to have time at the end of my last field season in Puerto Rico to stay at Rainforest Inn with my field assistant, Courtney. We both had an incredible time at the Inn experiencing outdoor adventures and getting to know Bill, Laurie, Shane, and their adorable dogs and cats.

The units they rent out are gorgeous and the whole place is so peaceful. Coquis lull you to sleep every night and you wake up in the morning to the smell of delicious food and coffee being prepared in the kitchen.

The construction they have done since Hurricane George hit is AMAZING! They have pictures on their website of some of the units before and after: [--]. Our unit was beautifully decorated with fresh tropical flowers cut from the property and colorful artwork. All of the kitchen appliances were new and the couches and bed were plush and comfy.

One of the best parts of staying at the inn was the hiking tour I took with Shane. He took me right through the backyard into El Yunque rainforest. The property line is just meters from the edge of the forest on their property. Shane took me through a trail that winds through a forest dominated by beautiful palm trees and leads to a gorgeous waterfall. The water rushes down the surface of boulders that stretch down the mountain side. Fern trees and elephant ear plants are everywhere. What a perfect, peaceful place! Beautiful.

I was also fortunate enough to get to visit the Bioluminescent Bay in Fajardo, Laguna Grande! If you sign up for this trip, you can follow Shane in your car to the kayaking put in where trip leaders will meet you after dark. The less light, the better for you to see the GLOWING water! My friend Courtney and I kayaked through mangroves under the stars while we listened to the coquis chirping. When we got closer to the open lagoon, I started seeing shimmers of light around my paddles. The glow just intensified the closer we came to the lagoon. Once we were there, we could see that any movement in the water caused a beautiful bluish-white glow to surround the moving object. This is the defense mechanism of tiny single-celled organisms that live in the lagoon and not many other places in the world. The Lonely Planet guidebook for PR described it like swimming in a sea of tiny stars. I thought they must have been exaggerating before I experienced it myself, but they weren't. It was just like stars. The guide gave us his spiel and then we jumped in. It was beautiful. There was a 5 inch thick bluish-white glow radiating around Courtney's and my legs and arms as we treaded water. Eventually, we got back in our kayaks and paddled back through the mangroves. This was an experience I'll never forget!!

The rest of my stay at Rainforest Inn was wonderful as well. No TV's with annoying commercials blaring in your ears, no roosters crowing and dogs barking all day like other places I've staying in PR. Just pure peace and beauty. Good conversation about wildlife conservation and the culture of PR with Bill, Laurie, and Shane made my stay even more enjoyable.

If anyone reading this has ever wanted to visit a rainforest or just get away to Puerto Rico, you should definitely consider the Rainforest Inn. Incredible views, awesome people.

• Liked — the views and the staff
  • Disliked — didn't get to stay long enough!
  • Tips/Secrets — try the coffee. mmmmmmmmmmm
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank palmagirl
Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 November 2006

My husband and I stayed in the El Yunque Rainforest Inn last month as kind of a second honey moon. We stayed in the villa. I soaked in the claw foot bath tub and lit candles (which were provided) all over the mantle piece. There were also tropical arrangements in the living room and orchids in the breezeway. In the morning, after Laurie served us eggs Florentine on the table for two right on our front porch, we went on a hike to a private swimming hole above a waterfall. The path was cut by the owner, Bill, through the property and deep into the jungle.

In the evening we not only heard lots of coquis but lizard cuckoos and the call of the Puerto Rico Screech owl. Shane, the guide who lives on the property, took us kayaking in the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo that evening.

We would love to go there every year to repeat our honeymoon.

Some caveats. The rainforestinn is not for you if you want to stay in an air conditioned hotel/resort. It is more for the adventurous. They even do bicycle tours across the peaks of the El Yunque cloud forest.

• Liked — The view from the room, and the sounds of coqui's at night
  • Tips/Secrets — Pick up a case of bottled water to keep in the room
#1 of 2 in Canovanas
Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
#3 of 4 in Naguabo

Been to Rainforest Inn? Share your experiences!