“Too Short a Stay”
Review of At the Waves

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
At the Waves
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Stayed in the upper 3 br unit for 4 days. Property is located in a neighborhood that has a mixture of sketchy shacks and very nice homes but I never felt uncomfortable. Dogs and roosters woke me up most mornings. Mosquitoes love me in general and I got many bites, but my co-travelers who are not unusually attractive to them did not get many. The apartment had a great balcony. Kitchen was ok, needs a new coffee maker. Ian the owner was around a lot and if you needed anything at all he was very willing to help. Altogether we had a great time and would gladly return the At The Waves. If you go to Viequez don't miss the bio bay. It is truly awesome.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TileHack

Reviewed 26 February 2011

Like everyone else on TA, my friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at At the Waves. It was everything we expected based on the reviews we'd read and the photos. FYI, Ian, the owner, only accepts personal check/traveler's check/cash. It was really helpful for me to read on TA about the place before renting an apt. to relieve my instinctual suspicion and fears of any place that only accepts cash or cash equivalents.

In summary:
* The apartment (we were in the 3-bed upstairs apt.) was what we expected. Everything worked and/or was perfectly fine including beds, hot water and water pressure, kitchen appliances, etc. TIP 1: Pack a mosquito net and some bug spray if you're as susceptible to bites as I am! TIP 2: They provide towels, which were surprisingly soft and clean-smelling, and small bars of soap but you should bring your own shampoo & other toiletries.

* Common area incl. swimming pool was nice. We spent a lot of time lounging by the pool and grilling food for meals. One way it could be improved is by adding a hot tub!

* Location is near the airport, Isabel Segunda and the only gas stations on the island. One of the few relatively affordable beachfront properties I found in my research. Even though Esperanza is more charming than Isabel Segunda, I think the location of At the Waves turned out to be more practical (Isabel Segunda has better supplies in terms of markets and gas) and Esperanza's only about 20 minutes away.

* I didn't meet Ian but Bill, who was looking after the place in Ian's absence, was awesome. Really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank toastface_grillah
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Fabulous place. Loved the location. Short drive to beaches. Clean, laid back, relaxing. Would go back again in a minute.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2011

This was our third trip to Vieques and our first stay At The Waves. We love everything about Vieques and our experience At The Waves made this trip the best yet. The grounds are gorgeous. The location fabulous. The rooms amazing. When I read the reviews on Trip Advisor I thought maybe this place was too good to be true. But the stellar reviews are absolutely spot on. The photos are completely accurate. We don't have much more to add other than anytime we return to Vieques At the Waves will be our home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2011

At the Waves, has a great location on the north side of the island, easy to drive to anywhere on the island, especially only 10-15minutes to the National Park Beaches and away from the noise of Esperanza. Ian the owner was extremely nice and hepful and gives you everything you need with the villa, inlcuding coolers, snorkle equipment, beach chairs, towels etc. Great gas grill by the pool for cooking in.

We stayed in the 3 bedroom and loved it! Everything we expected and more, clean, good taste decor, great views, comfortable beds etc. Could not complain about anything. Ian even gave us the larger apt as it was available on short notice.

Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2011

My family has been coming to Vieques for 17 years. We have stayed in various houses on the island and "At the Waves" is our favorite - we will be back. The property has a total of 9 bedrooms and will be ideal when we bring our extended family and friends.

Fantastic views, quite location on the water, beautiful property, comfortable amenities ...paradise.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank BMercure
Reviewed 12 December 2010

My new husband and I had an awesome and romantic honeymoon At The Waves. It was peaceful, we were surrounded by gorgeous scenery, it's super close to town, and not a long drive to the amazing beaches. We definitely want to visit again around the same time next year for our 1st anniversary!

Our unit was gorgeous and the grounds are maintained beautifully! Ian, the owner, puts a lot of time and care into providing beautiful surroundings for his guests as well as every thing you could possibly need in the apartments to cook, eat, drink, and entertain yourself. We couldn't have asked for a more amazing place to stay and I am so glad we stumbled upon this place on Trip Advisor.

I could go on and on about @theWave, how kind Ian is, and Vieques, but suffice it to say that we had the time of our lives and could not imagine staying anywhere else when we go back. We felt like it was our own apartment, a home, from the time we arrived there. We were so depressed when the day of departure came...I think it shocked us out of the fantasy that we actually lived there! We just felt so at home.

So yourself a favor and stay there!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple