W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
El Blok Hotel(Esperanza)
US$195
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Hacienda Tamarindo(Isla de Vieques)
US$182
US$273
Orbitz.com
US$165
  • Pool
Bravo Beach Hotel(Isla de Vieques)
Hotels.com
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
1,844 results
All reviewsresort feeairport loungefire pitbeautiful resortadult beachwhisper beachpool barwet bartennis courtsliving room barmain restaurantunderwater musicsan juanfamily beachblackbeard sportsoceanfront roomthe general manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We came for a wedding and while the pool area was nice, the food was mediocre and the drinks were way overprice! $13 for a rum punch, $20 for a mezze plate, etc. We ordered ceviche and it was rancid, so we sent it back. We paid $55 a person for a "fish fry" as the front desk explained it, but there was not fire or whole fish frying; just one piece of cuttle fish, three prawns and a 1x2 inch piece of overcook tuna. The sides were dry -- a guest choked on a piece of yucca! The food for the wedding was average, typical buffet quality.

We had a room off the pool, our room was clean, but not consistently. The cleaning staff didn't take empty glasses on some days and on another took a half full corked bottle of wine (we had recorked it and set it aside by our nighstand).

The staff was super nice though! Love love love the bartender at the pool!

I'd like to see how this resort adapts once there is more competition.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seattlejs
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Vieques is definitely worth a visit & the W really compliments everything Vieques has to offer.

I LOVED the way this hotel was designed! The furniture is spectacular! The entire reception area is made of local recycled wood. The living room was my favorite! All the open space with direct view to the ocean. The sheer curtains & hammocks throughout the resort were such a nice touch.

I stayed here for a business trip but will definitely return with my husband for a personal stay.

The hotel has 156 rooms but you feel that you are in a small boutique hotel. There are 2 bars, 3 pools, 2 private beaches (1 for adults), kayaks/foating tubes to use for free during your stay, tennis court, gym & spa.

The rooms are extremely spacious and almost all of them have ocean view. I really liked having a tub & rain shower. The tub was very cool, shaped like an oval bucket where the horses would drink water from in the stable.

Vieques is known for it's wild roaming horses. It is common to see the horses on the property. They are gentle and will not bother you. The people throughout the island feed them and take care of them as they belong to the island/people. The island of Vieques only has 9,000 residents.

Be sure to wake up early for yoga, go horseback riding, rent a jeep to explore all the untouched beaches throughout the island & go to the bio bay. The bio bay is really worth the visit.

I highly recommend this resort & island if you are looking for a very relaxing retreat.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Devafish
Reviewed 27 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at the W from Tuesday - Friday of Holy Week. We arrived at the airport, were met by a van rather quickly, and arrived around 2:00. It had been a long day, and the wait to get to our room after check-in was quite long and I wished they had just let us walk there ourselves and not made us wait for the guided tour. However, the grounds are beautiful and the staff is accommodating and lovely. Our room was fine - we didn't have a view, but then again, it was quiet and close to everything. I do wish they had explained that we needed to put our room key into the charge outlet to get the electricity to come on because it was pretty dark! We headed to the pool as soon possible. It was busy that day, and it took awhile to get our food order at the bar, but it was so gorgeous outside that it was easy to be forgiving. We didn't rent a car, so we needed to take a taxi (not individual, but a publico) in the lobby to get to our dinner reservation. All went fine until we tried to get back and the driver never responded. It seems they have specific drivers that they call upon, though some people we spoke to had arranged their own transportation. If I were visiting more than a few days, I'd definitely rent a car so I could have visited many of the Caribbean beaches - apparently that needs to be done months in advance. After an hour wait, and 3 phone calls to the hotel, we made it back. but again, it's the island and it was warm and beautiful outside, and the wait wasn't so bad. The next morning we went to the cafe for coffee and pastries, (not realizing there was complimentary coffee in the main "living room" ). We spent much of the day on the beach, which we found to be great. Most people gravitated to the pools, and it seemed that they also plopped their beach towels on the most coveted floating lounge chairs quite early even if they were nowhere in sight, pretty tacky. There weren't many children there; I don't think I would want to have had young kids there - not a lot to do for them, and when they take over the pool, it is kind of annoying if you're there to relax. It was mid-week, so it wasn't as busy as it appears to have been on the week-end. Only once did we need to move our chairs to the end of the beach where there wasn't a speaker in our ears with the resounding bass so often complained about in reviews. We took a kayak out and also took advantage of the inner tubes. It was glorious to bob in the soft waves. The bar staff was great - as was the red sangria. We also enjoyed the solitude of the plunge pool. My favorite time was 7 a.m. once I knew I could grab some coffee and just sit and enjoy the quiet and the view of the ocean. We had a glitch with our biobay reservation, but the concierge was accommodating and made it right. I truly think they want to do the best for their guests, but sometimes island time and lack of resources may prevent that from happening 100%. When we were there, there was a gas shortage, and one of our publico drivers told us he had been up at 4 a.m. to get gas. I did find that different staff gave different advice, and that was confusing at times. But all in all, our stay was glorious. We ate at the breakfast buffet one day, no complaints there, and mostly just enjoyed the beauty of the island. We also took a public to Playa Caracas one day - the place was hopping as it was Holy Week and the locals were partying. It was great to witness the culture, maybe like coming to the states on the 4th of July. I do think they are reading these reviews, because there was a sunset "happy hour" with free cocktails from 6 - 6:30, and the music was only intrusive one time. Great weather, great locals, great views, great sleeping (comfy bed), great cocktails, extremely relaxing. All in all, a wonderful place. I'd return in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 27 April 2011

Getting to Vieques will need some planning ahead, however once there you leave everything behind... the experience begings at the airport lounge with complimentary drinks and a concierge that will assist you with the transportation. While waiting for our transportation we met Bree (Guest Manager) we shared that it was my birthday weekend and we were looking forward to a relaxing and enjoyable time. Emilda was our front desk agent, great check-in experience asked questions to learn what was important to us. Bree came to the front desk and share with Emilda that it was my birthday, that evening a Happy Birthday chocolate cake came to our room, It was a very nice surprise and it showed their attention to detailed. We also got a personalized tour of the property and the same person took us to our room and explained all the room and resort amenities. This property is located on top of a hill with amazing views and beach access. It is not like any other resort, it is a place that will make you want to visit again and again, for sure if you are looking at a relaxing, romantic and very secluded place.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

ok so first let me say that we are cutting them a lil slack & grading them on a curve because it was a holiday weekend & the place was PACKED. Having said that we ran into some problems. we were able to check in early (great) we asked to be upgraded to a beach view(we would pay of course) we were told no, only to find out that another couple we flew in with was upgraded without asking. Duvet in room was dirty, toilet-dirty, faucets dirty with toothpaste, & lotion. DvD player broken, problem logging into w-fi. Went to bar was ignored by bartenter, waitress was nice enough to make our drinks (left her a big tip, & preceeed to deal with her for the most part for the rest of the stay). Waiter spilled a tray of Mimosas on my husband at breakfast (he was very sorry, but kept saying"what can I do to make it right" well if he doesn't know than who the heck does) he later compted us on two mimosas after careful consideration. 3 days in a row I ordered a tray of Happy Birthday cookies to be sent to the room in honor of my husbands birthday..finally rcvd them on the 3 day. Laundry was not picked up, had to call twice for that. Specifically told room service and front desk that I wanted my breakfast at 6:45 am SHARP as we were checking out early , breakfast arrived too late so I went to the airport hungry. Also due to a mix up at check out, our driver that was supposed to take us to the airport removed our luggage from the shuttle without telling us & just left us..so there was a last minute scramble for the hotel to provide us with trasportation to the airport. There were several other mishaps, but I'm exhausted. I will say that the W lounge @ the airport is STELLAR, most of the staff at the hotel were very kind, & polite. Just not equipt to handle any kind of problems at all, & rooms (once cleaned) & grounds (make it very relaxing) were nice, spa was FAB, & the view Outstanding. I think we will give them one more chance on a slower weekend, & see how it goes

1  Thank poppaswife