“Really a 4.5 star review : service was still world-class” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Retreat & Spa Vieques

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Atlanta, GA
“Really a 4.5 star review : service was still world-class”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I spent another 5 nights here in October. Our first return to the property since our first stay (that stay remains my only 5-star tripadvisor review).

As you can read from my other posts, SERVICE is one of my most important rating categories, and the W Retreat scored top marks again. We had scheduled this trip from May'13 and used Suite Night rewards to upgrade. We had to champagne the trip due to a death in our family. Josh in reservations was great. He was so very flexible and upon our rebooking a few months later upgraded is again to a WOW Suite. Mr. White (the GM) should give Josh a promotion. His level of service is what luxury travel demands.

Another example of great service came in the afternoon. My wife is pregnant and her hunger hit her at a time mid-afternoon when none of the result ants were open. I called for room service and was told it would be a 45-60 mins standard wait. I asked urgently to have some quick food arrive in less than 15mins. 8mins later...knock knock and an ambassador came in with two plates of snacks! Great service.

The Wow suite remained as great as we had remembered it.

So why not a 5-star rating Again? The answer is that the retreat has lost some of its luster. I'll call out the four items I noticed that concerned me. Since we came in the off season (Oct) I'm sure Mr. white is having these addressed.

1. Rust and broken lights/things : there is rust on all of the swings, handrails to the beach and chains that hold things together. The fun and funky part of W's are the unique use wood and metal in non-standard ways. When it's rusted it looks tacky and tired. Also many of the speakers and tree lights are broken. They all just look bad and don't represent the property well.

2. Lack of Color: when the resort opened, it was the vibrant spots of color, dotting the entire retreat that added to a great visual experience. Many of the pillows have faded and gone are the red lounge chains and purple beach towels. Please bring the color back. It reflects the vibrant Puerto Rican culture.

3. Bugs in the pools : both pools had an infestation of Water Boatman bugs. These bugs can bite and they like to swarm around people. I believe the maintenance group was addressing this during our stay, we noted a marked decease in bugs, but not completely gone.

4, Lobby pool table and games : when it opened the lobby had a great collection of board games and fun activities. It would be nice to have a new set if queues, balls and games.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet stay, request a room away from the pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank willbw02
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Welcome,

Thank you so much for your wonderful and detailed review, I appreciate you taking the time to share such valuable information with our team.
We are honored you have chosen the W Vieques as your retreat in two occasions, and that the service has exceeded your expectations both times.
I will make sure to extend your positive comments to Josh, who will be thrilled to learn his contribution in making your stay truly memorable was so important.

We thank you as well for pointing out areas of opportunity. We are placing a daily effort in ensuring the retreat remains as vibrant and inviting as always!

Best Wishes,
Greg White - GM W Vieques

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

We've been there for three consecutive years whenever we find the opportunity to disconnect from everyday job stress; beautiful beach spots, specially Whisper Beach; nice and comfortable rooms; romantic night spots.The restaurant (Sorcé) needs a more authenthic (criollo) menu that would cautivate the traveler; puertorican nouvelle cuisine prepared by a puertorican Chef would be great; also needs a employees who can give helpful advises. If the target is fine dinning, it's too expensive for what it offers. This needs to be improved in order to compensate the outside dinning competition, specially with the new José Enrique Rest. which will open in a few months in the new hotel, The Blok.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank magicsoul
Welcome,

We feel honored you have chosen the W Vieques as the venue for your holidays for three consecutive years!
Thank you for your positive feedback, I am thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay and the true contact with nature.
Regarding Sorce, I am happy to share we are currently developing a partnership with a local farmer who will be supplying organic, fresh produce on a regular basis, and the menu items will be defined by seasonal ingredients available on the island. The new menu will be available in January.

We look forward to have you back!

Best Wishes,
Greg White, General Manager
W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Recently my husband and I took a vacation here for our honeymoon. The hotel was amazing it offered us a once in a lifetime experience. The grounds were gorgeous it was slow season so we had most of the resort to ourselves the pools, private beach, and staff were all what you would expect from a five star resort. One staff member I have to mention was the bartender at the living room lounge her name is Arelis and she took the time to talk, laugh and share her experience with us about Vieques she gave us pointers as to must see places and beaches and helped make every drink, appetizer or meal at the lounge just that much better. We could tell she really loves her job and that made us enjoy spending time at this lounge laughing and talking with her she made us feel so comfortable we are already planning a trip back to the W.
Amy and Orlando

Room Tip: Get a room with ocean view!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Welcome,

Firstly, congratulations on your recent wedding!
We feel honored you chose the Retreat to spend your honeymoon.

Thank you for sharing your amazing experience. I am thrilled to read you had once in a lifetime experience. I will make sure to share your positive comments with Arelis, who will be excited to learn her contribution to making your stay extraordinary was so important.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed for ten days at the W Vieques, from 8/23 to 9/2, and had a wonderful time.

The W Vieques has its own airport lounge, exclusive to W guests, as you touch down and depart, a very nice touch. Checking in, we were instantly upgraded to an Ocean front room which was well appointed, spacious and stocked with Bliss products. Room size is important to me, I don't like feeling cramped in any way. I was more than happy with the proportion of our room. The interiors are well manicured and measured, and the spacious free standing tub was built for two. Everyone knows about the W Bed: its incredibly comfortable, I bought one for my apartment in NY, and I slept like a log for my entire stay, the Better for relaxation or romance. My only recommendation is that room be better lit, with stronger area light sources.....

The property is well manicured, with an assortment of amenities, including a full service Spa, two parallel outdoor swimming pools, cabanas, full service pool bar, two private beaches (Whisper beach for adults only.....), a pool side afternoon DJ, tennis courts, an on-site rental office for Jeeps and scheduling of tours......etc etc.....

The on site restaurant was good for dinner, mediocre at best for breakfast. We ate off site, nearly every night, and really enjoyed the oysters at Tin Box.....I highly recommend this restaurant. The female bartender is a genius. Let her experiment a bit. Some of the best drinks I have ever tasted.....

Most important is the island of Vieques itself. It is small, intimate, untouched by the big city vulgarity that has laid waste to St Barts and the smaller islands of the Caribbean. When I go on vacation, I don't want to hear loud drunk nasal voices comparing their "it "bags and yammering over hedge funds. I want quiet and solitude and unspoiled vistas that are sparsely populated. Vieques has yet to be overdeveloped, and it shows. The surrounding beaches of Playa Plata and Escondido, which can be reached by Jeep and are only 15 minutes away, are totally deserted and stunning. I would STRONGLY recommend spending several afternoons discovering these beaches. Vieques is also well populated with wild horses, grazing all along these various waterways and vistas......beautiful.

Vieques is also home to an ecological light show called the Bio Bay. It is a bio luminescent bay which can be group toured at night by canoe. The bay, one of only four or five active bio bays in the world, is a eco light show, with tiny microorganisms illuminated in the water by touch......dip your hand into the Bay and you are instantly "gloved" with light drops.....amazing.

I will say, there is one issue that is worrisome about the W Vieques. There is an unspoken tension between staff and management. It arises occasionally like a flare, and its disconcerting. Some sort of amiable resolution, an olive branch between these two camps should be extended, as quickly as possible.....

Beyond that, we had a lovely stay. The W Vieques is well suited for romance and relaxation. I would highly recommend this hotel, and more so, Vieques itself....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jude0013
Welcome,

We thank you for sharing your amazing stay with us.
I am happy to read you had a wonderful experience exploring the unspoiled natural grounds at the Retreat and around the island.
The W beds are certainly designed for complete relaxation! Great to learn you found complete rest over your stay.
Regarding the talent, we can assure you our team's focus and main goal is to create fabulous, memorable experience for our guests. We constantly look for ways to improve the quality of service we provide, and we thank you for your feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Best wishes,
Greg White
General Manager, W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

The W was just beautiful with its bohemian decor and the vibe was total relaxation. At night its just as beautiful . The fire pit lounge area was my favorite for after dinner drinks from the living room bar.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth C
Welcome,

We truly appreciate your positive feedback. I am glad to read you had a wonderful experience and renjoyed relaxing by the Fire Pit at sunset. One of our favorite spots for sure!

Greg White, General Manager
W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

June Travel. We wanted something family-welcome but not necessarily kid-centric, off the beaten path and non-commercial but still After canceling Maui, we decided to go in the opposite direction, survived 3 flights (departing Los Angeles, traveling with child), and landed on beautiful Vieques. Worth the hours of travel and thousands of miles.

Weather: we travelled mid-June, very beginning of hurricane season, which was also more off season - hotel was busy on weekends, wonderfully empty during the week (we stayed 6 days, then left for the St Regis Rio Grande, also awesome!); weather was beautiful, with some rain, but always warm and always enjoyable.

Flight: Jet Blue made this trip possible with easy, affordable service to San Juan, Puerto Rico - to get to Vieques, we highly recommend Cape Air from San Juan, traveling on the 6 seater hopper - easy flight under 30 minutes, although can be a bit of a test of nerves for anybody skiddish about small spaces/heights/flying. But it's the fastest and easiest way to get to the island.

Arrival: The W hotel has its own lounge at the airport. Airport is what you might expect for a small island destination. The lounge was air conditioned (the rest of the airport is not), comfortable, and there were bottles of rum on ice and mixers awaiting guests while we awaited the shuttle. Very nice welcome after the red eye a, traveling with 5 yrs old son. Receptionist at the lounge noted our arrival and our volume of luggage, and summoned the large Mercedes Van which was picked us up within minutes. The airport was literally a 5-10 minutes drive away, but don't be concerned, this is not an 'airport' hotel.

The Hotel: wonderful, relaxing spot. You can't help but take a deep exhale upon arrival. The architecture had an eco-Asian/Island feel, and integrated beautifully into the surrounding flora and fauna and beach. The lobby was actually a bit contemporary, with high ceilings and a loft and cement feel - but it worked beautifully, surprisingly, with lots of sexy nooks and living room type seating. This was a popular place in the late afternoons and evening, brief daily happy hour, good spot for cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, dinner. We enjoyed dinner in the 'basket' lounge chairs overlooking the water on several occasions, food and drinks were excellent, my son (age 5) loved that he didn't have to sit at a table. Hotel loocation is on the Atlantic side - 2 private beaches , one for adults, one for families (totally acceptable!) - clean, darker sand, warm water, but a bit rougher than beaches in the state park. lovely spot to dip and relax, enjoy drink in the afternoon. Beaches were not crowded at all. There are towels available to grab at the pool/entry to the beach stairs, sunscreen if you forgot, cold water, plein air shower. Very pleased to report that there was no shortage of towels - an unfortunate experience I've had plenty of times at luxury resorts. Staff was on top of it. In addition, I was happy to see that staff quickly cleaned up left over food from outdoor service - no yucky rotting plates/bird attraction, another pet peeve of mine at luxury locations. Kudos again to staff for paying attention to these type of details which can be a real menace if unattended.

Wild horses do roam the property and island. Wonderful sight to see. Just drive carefully.

Pool area - great lounge area - comfortable ocean front seating, under water music, some loungers actually in the water; attentive service during the day, bar shuts down early at night. Drinks - expensive as to be expected. Just know this ahead of time and plan accordingly. This is not a typical family resort, it's definitely geared for couples, or smaller families - but it was absolutely family friendly - we did not feel out of place or unwelcome staying with our younger son. But, there are no organized kid activities or kid's clubs/baby sitting services. We knew this going in.

Room: we booked a very affordable king room about 4-5 weeks prior to taking the trip itself, and upon arrival, received a lovely upgrade - top floor (ok, there were only 2 floors) king room, ocean front with endless, gorgeous views; small balcony over looking path and ocean with very useful tiered bathing suit and towel rack; outdoor furniture - not the most comfortable, but that would be my ONLY complaint. The room was decorated consistent with the hotel - cement floors (thank you to the architect for putting cement tile instead of carpet in a beach resort - I despite carpet at tropical locations) - kept the room very cool, had a/c which we did not use 100% of the time; the room was very spacious, with a separate large shower (yay for no shower curtain - also yucky in a hotel room) - was a walk in stone shower with sliding door; separate toilet (again, proper planning!); soaking tub was in the center of the room, but with a very cool 3 sided partition, very comfortable king bed (slept like babies), and a large basket lounger that actually converted into my son's nest when he felt like it, spacious desk and discrete TV. Room was fantastic, very comfortable for our family of 3. Although, we spent little time there since the island was so fantastic.

Food: Breakfast: we didn't bother eating at the restaurant - not easy with a 5 yrs old, and we're not big eaters. After hitting the well equipped, busy gym every morning, I stopped at the next door shop/cafe on site, picked up cereal, yogurt, fruit, bottled water, OJ. This was sufficient for our needs, cost efficient. Lunch: we would either eat at Duffy's in Esperanza (great indoor/outdoor atmosphere even in the rain), or at Sol Food, the awesome stationary food truck at the entry to the state park (i believe only open on weekends.) Note - I am not a meat eater or a food truck kind of girl, but it was fantastic. My son fell in love with empanadas on this trip, and he is a picky eater. I benefited from the vegetarian option. On the rainier/cloudier days, we went to Esparanza. Duffy's had great friendly ex-pat staff, we had the same waitress every time we went, lovely young lady. Dinner: we had dinner on property a couple of nights, again, not at the restaurant but ordering from the smaller menu in the basket seating overlooking the fire pit/ocean; but i would also highly recommend venturing out. We had dinner at Next Course - absolutely excellent food! Hard to find, and be mindful driving at night - no road lights, signs, and wild horses roam the island - GO SLOWLY. and designate a driver. don't be stupid. roads get windy, and it can be tough to see in the extreme dark or rain. We also ate at Tin Box - equally excellent. Both nights were magical, with great indoor/outdoor dining, twinkling lights, felt like a tree house, in a good way. Food was sophisticated, but not pretentious, and absolutely delicious, paying homage to the local cuisine.

Activities - First, this is the easiest car rental we've ever experienced - Island Car Rental, through W website. It is on site at the hotel. You go to Black Beard Shop on site, which also has necessities, gifts, and can plan excursions; we picked up our keys, and 10 feet away, got into our jeep. Tip: not a lot of gas stations on the island, so keep the car half full at least at all times. Windows stay down at the beaches to prevent glass break ins, so no valuables left inside. Note - beaches were constantly patrolled by local police, we felt quite safe (low crime, typical petty theft.)
Bioluminescent Bay - we did the tour the 2nd night there - tours depend on location of the moon, look at the calendar ahead of time when booking. We were picked up in a mini van (wear clothes that can get wet), and kayak to the other end of the bay - lovely night kayak, Bay is something to behold (you may not get in the water, it's damaging to the bay); there are tons of mosquitoes, be prepared. Worth the experience.

We had booked a horseback ride on our last day, but it rained, too dangerous, got full refund, no problem.

if you like beaches, this is the place to visit. Untouched, gorgeous. Every day we packed the soft sided cooler we purchased at the W cafe (ice machine outside of our room), we borrowed noodles from Black Beard the activity shop on site (no charge), jumped in our jeep, stopped at one of our 2 favorite little markets, picked up sodas, beer, more water, chips, salsa, pretzels, snacks, string cheese, and headed to the beach (don't forget your beach towels.) you'll notice the other W residents at the different beaches - we all have the same jeep, same towels. Note - you won't have an easy time finding fresh produce at the little bodegas - the only fresh fruit we saw was at the hotel cafe. The bodegas were great for beer/liquor, mixers, waters, and snack/junk food for the beach. Not much in terms of healthy options. But it's vacation...

Beaches: We were loyal to National Park. (if you're there on a weekend, stop at the food truck!) Fantastic. Different beaches had different parking scenarios - some, you park right at the sand's edge; other's, follow a bit of a trail. We visited Bahia La Civa - gorgeous, beautiful beach to swim/walk, no bathrooms, shade under a tree, Pata Prieta- required small hike - not ADA accessible, smaller beach, little shady nooks under trees/brush, not bathrooms, Playa Caracas - we went twice - this one had picnic pavilions providing shade, rowdiest spot in a fun way, lots of loud music, vacationers brought drums, instruments, was a party to behold, some were BBQ'ing, oh the aroma! All were great for swimming, snorkeling, very tiny waves, great for wading and little ones. Clear blue warm water, but very little sea life (you had to go to the rockier areas for the fish.) We borrowed snorkels, masks and flippers from Black Beard, no need to bring anything from the main land. Again, don't expect public restrooms. Plan ahead. The sun gets hold, if you don't have a beach umbrella, find a shady spot under trees.

We had an excellent, memorable 6 days family adventure; we enjoyed exploring the island during the day, and some of the area's most beautiful untouched beaches on a predominantly undeveloped (wonderfully so) island. W would be the most luxurious location to spend some time; staff were attentive, location was excellent, although we used it mostly as a home base, as our trip goal was to truly explore the island, to the best of our abilities. The people of Vieques were everything you'd hope - warm, welcoming, wonderful. And again, the food was fantastic. We did not spend any time in Isabella II, we chose Esperanza as better suited to our needs.

Would return, although the secret is out, as the island is gaining exposure.

Room Tip: Book the ocean view room. Worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank CourtneySC01
Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing such a detailed review! We are so thrilled to read you and your family truly embraced the 'island experience' and had the opportunity to explore and enjoy the amazing grounds at the Retreat and around Vieques.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Greg White
General Manager, W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Colorado, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

This place is gorgeous, luxurious and it's really hard to fault anything about the property. The rooms are spacious, well designed and beautifully appointed. The beaches are a little small but were really quiet and in the morning we often had the whole adult beach to ourselves.

Sadly it's just not operated at the same standard.

We arranged an airport pickup before we arrived, the concierge said it was fine. Although when we arrived in the evening the W lounge at the airport was closed and locked and the lady locking up the airport took pity on us and called the W.

One of the pricey bottles of Fiji water in our room had been opened, when we complained they just sent more bottles of it. Another day the cleaning staff left an random door key in our room. Another day there was a bag of other people's trash left on our bathroom counter. There were a few stains on some of the cushions on the couch in our room, one of the lights didn't work and never got fixed despite our asking.

The W's "Anything Anytime" policy is a joke. None of the sit-down places are open for lunch. If you want beach towels in the early morning you have to go ask at reception. We tried to get a cheese and fruit plate delivered to the beach, it came sans cheese. The concierge wasn't terribly helpful - tried to get them to reserve a car from the on-site car rental and they suggested I jut walk over there.

The restaurants weren't bad, but they were expensive for what they were. There also wasn't a lot of variation - the food offerings at the pool bar, living room and room service were effectively identical. The sit down restaurant was a little different, but not wildly so. It'd be tough to spend more than a few days without wanting to get food from outside.

I suspect they have a staffing problem as nearly everyone we spoke to outside the resort used to once work there. This is by far the nicest facility we saw anywhere on the island, yet it seems like their bartenders and massage therapists do a short stint there and then move to other places. It's clear interacting with a lot of the staff that they don't particularly want to be there and I'm not sure whether that's an issue with the local management or the W as a whole.

I know these are all relatively minor gripes, but I left the W resort feeling that I wished it cost a little more per night and could be run by the Four Seasons instead. The W brand is really the worst part about this place, and it could really be something special if the service level matched the location and architecture.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank grahamsz
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Welcome,

Let me start by thanking you for sharing your experience with us.
I am happy to read you found the grounds and property to be beautiful.

I am truly saddened however to learn we did not meet your overall expectations. I can assure you the service level described is not representative of the W Vieques, as our pride as a team lays in going above and beyond expectations to ensure the experience of each of our guests is unique, memorable and truly conveys our passion to deliver the Whatever/Whenever promise of our brand.

Your feedback will certainly be addressed and I will ensure to implement the necessary corrective actions.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to provide you with an experience that truly portrays the values that we live by at the retreat.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 46 in San Juan
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,616 reviews

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!