My wife and I spent another 5 nights here in October. Our first return to the property since our first stay (that stay remains my only 5-star tripadvisor review).
As you can read from my other posts, SERVICE is one of my most important rating categories, and the W Retreat scored top marks again. We had scheduled this trip from May'13 and used Suite Night rewards to upgrade. We had to champagne the trip due to a death in our family. Josh in reservations was great. He was so very flexible and upon our rebooking a few months later upgraded is again to a WOW Suite. Mr. White (the GM) should give Josh a promotion. His level of service is what luxury travel demands.
Another example of great service came in the afternoon. My wife is pregnant and her hunger hit her at a time mid-afternoon when none of the result ants were open. I called for room service and was told it would be a 45-60 mins standard wait. I asked urgently to have some quick food arrive in less than 15mins. 8mins later...knock knock and an ambassador came in with two plates of snacks! Great service.
The Wow suite remained as great as we had remembered it.
So why not a 5-star rating Again? The answer is that the retreat has lost some of its luster. I'll call out the four items I noticed that concerned me. Since we came in the off season (Oct) I'm sure Mr. white is having these addressed.
1. Rust and broken lights/things : there is rust on all of the swings, handrails to the beach and chains that hold things together. The fun and funky part of W's are the unique use wood and metal in non-standard ways. When it's rusted it looks tacky and tired. Also many of the speakers and tree lights are broken. They all just look bad and don't represent the property well.
2. Lack of Color: when the resort opened, it was the vibrant spots of color, dotting the entire retreat that added to a great visual experience. Many of the pillows have faded and gone are the red lounge chains and purple beach towels. Please bring the color back. It reflects the vibrant Puerto Rican culture.
3. Bugs in the pools : both pools had an infestation of Water Boatman bugs. These bugs can bite and they like to swarm around people. I believe the maintenance group was addressing this during our stay, we noted a marked decease in bugs, but not completely gone.
4, Lobby pool table and games : when it opened the lobby had a great collection of board games and fun activities. It would be nice to have a new set if queues, balls and games.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on two private, secluded beaches, the W Retreat & Spa Ã Vieques Island in Puerto Rico provides the perfect getaway for a relaxing and luxurious villa-style vacation with infinite indulgences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and TravelUp so you can book your W Retreat & Spa Vieques reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat And Spa Vieques
- w Retreat & Spa Vieques Hotel Isla De Vieques