“Vacation gem”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Having been to this property when it was under different ownership we were interested to see how Starwood did with the makeover. It is stunning. Every aspect is top notch and the island itself is frozen in an earlier time.
If searching for something isolated, beautiful and quiet yet convenient to get to this is a great option.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is truly best option as pool view is less private feeling.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RGNGJG
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Welcome,

It is great to read you decided to return to Vieques Island and enjoyed the grounds and overall decorations at the Retreat, as well as the beautiful natural surroundings.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Best Wishes

Reviewed 8 February 2014

The pool! OMG the pool has music underwater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was awesome! we were the youngest couple on the entire resort, but we had lots of fun throughout the island. You definitely need a rental car if you come to Vieques, you cannot just come and pay for this hotel and do nothing all day, the beaches will take your breath away!!!!
Rent a Jeep so you can go through the mud and the sand to the secret and hidden spots of this Island.
Definitely need to stay at W hotel!!!!!!!!!! Will not regret it ever! After you call room service, they call you back to confirm you were helped as you requested. WOW!
Thank you W!!!!

2  Thank mariposa_pr

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your amazing experience!
I am thrilled to read you enjoyed the specially curated W music playing underwater.

We totally agree, the beaches in Vieques are breath taking. I am happy to read you had the opportunity to explore all the magical spots around the island.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Best Wishes

Reviewed 7 February 2014

What a great hotel!! Let me just start by saying we took a 8pm ferry from fajardo to vieques. When we arrived being a tie we couldn't find any taxis.. Called the W n they sent someone right away. Upon check in Egdarto gave us a free upgrade to ocean view.. Also he gave us 411 on the property n dos n don'ts. He was amazing in all his suggestions n recommendations.. The hotel is out of a magazine.. It's new clean chic with great staff ready to help n assist.. The room was very trendy n cozy.. Walk in shower n the tub was a great touch along with the privacy courtains. The view of the pool n ocean was also amazing from 1st floor suite. Few cons r the room n the hotel is very dimmely lit. Also it's a bit expensive for in room service and also pretty much any drinks/meals on the property. It would have been nice to Atleast have complimentary bottled water everyday!! Overall a great experience n one of the best hotels we've stayed at.. OVERALL A GREAT EXPERIENCE N WOULD RETURN .. However it's a small island so don't go for several days rather split ur trip between San Juan n vieques.. That's what we did n it turned out great..

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Raj7779

Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience with us.
We are thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay and were given insider access to all the great experiences the island and the Retreat have to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I will admit that has a meeting and events planner and frequent traveler for pleasure, as well, I have never written a review on tripadvisor, but I will start to do so because I rely on them for my own planning. Why start now, you ask? Because of all the crazy reviews on here about the W lacking in certain areas, most notably food. We actually almost went somewhere else we were so worried about it after reading reviews, but after our first meal at Source, we know they were all wrong! And my best friend and I literally looked at each other one day and said, "we have to review this property and set the record straight."

The food was AMAZING, no matter what we ate for any meal, all 5 days. We ate one meal in town and it lacked so much compared to the W. True, for a few meals, they were out of what we wanted (this only happened twice), but it is an ISLAND. Completely understandable and no reflection on the quality at all. All of our servers were gracious and friendly. Portions were large and while we did not drink much, the ones we did have were delicious and strong. No watering down here. It was all amazing.

As for the resort itself, the beaches were beautiful and most days, we had sections of them to ourselves as most people opted for the pool. The pool was a little bit cold but we also had a lot of rain so I know that attributed to that. The sleeping rooms were so nice and large and very well laid out. The bed was heavenly-bed comfortable. And those oversized chairs -- have mercy! I took several naps in that and tried my best to figure out how to sneak it home. SO marvelous. We also watched the Superbowl party from one and did not want to get up. All the furnishings are very comfortable. i also especially loved the oversized balcony chairs which were perfect for curling up on and watching the ocean.

The wild horses were a delight and so sweet. As a previous equestrian and horse owner, that was probably the most endearing part of the property for me. But we loved all the hermit crabs, too.

The staff was amazingly helpful and friendly. We also took yoga and the instructor was so sweet. We made new friends with other guests and have already started planning when we can all meet there again with our families.

The only thing I would love for the hotel to promote more was I saw a little blurb in a magazine about the local humane society needing people from the states to escort dogs back to rescues here. That would have been awesome to know ahead of time and plan to help with. I think the hotel would be wise to put that in print somewhere to spread the word. Great cause!

Thank you for a memorable trip, Greg and staff. It was magical and everything a retreat should be. We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Suzanne B

Welcome,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a thorough review!

We are honored to be the first review ever written by you on Tripadvisor, and so thrilled to read that you had a wonderful stay.
We have certainly been focusing on amplifying the dining experience by adding seasonal, organic ingredients harvested at our local farmer partner. It is great to learn you had the opportunity to enjoy these offerings!

The furniture pieces where you enjoyed your naps were created by Spanish designer Patricia Urquiola especially for the Retreat, but there are additional designs for sale, should you wish to look into owning one.

I will also make sure to extend your kudos to the entire team, they will certainly be excited they played such an important role in elevating your stay.

We look forward to having you back at Paradise Found!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Let me first tell you that I read a lot of the mixed reviews and was prepared for anything. The property is pretty. The beaches and pool are fantastic. The rooms and lobby are swanky and cool... It was my 40th birthday and we requested a table by the ocean and they accommodated and more.. the dining manager is FABULOUS, our waiter was fabulous! BUT:
The staff is incredibly inconsistent. Some are very nice and accommodating, some give out wrong information and the maids steal things. Yep. STEAL.
Now... At first my friends necklace went missing. We thought that it may have gotten caught up in the sheets when they came to clean, but my mascara went missing too- I thought it had fallen behind the sink, now I'm thinking that is unlikely. Additionally, we had collected shells and soft sand from all of the various beaches we visited and most of them went missing too. Now you may be thinking- big deal- just shells. But they were memories collected- and now they are gone.
If you are planning on staying here: I would refuse any room service as I just wouldn't trust it.

Additionally, I left my toiletry bag there (because of the realization that items had been stolen) and I called and asked to speak to the manager about the issues with the maid staff and I didn't get a call back, I just got an email from security instead, which I specifically said I wanted to speak with the manager. I feel that this is very poor customer service.
The other cons are very thin walls - we were awoken 3 out of our 5 nights by rowdy, drunk domestic arguments from our neighbors. We shared our room with another couple and the bathroom has no real privacy from the rest of the room so it made it difficult to share the space.

Attention W: you must get the maid staff under control. They left our door unlocked.. they came in our room after we DECLINED turn down service - which is when we think the items were taken.

We are pretty disappointed.

We will definitely return to Vieques, but NOT the W.

2  Thank akessig

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
I am happy to read that your dining experience was a positive one and that you enjoyed the natural grounds at the Retreat.

I am very sorry to read, however, that your expectations were not met in other areas.
I can assure you that the inconsistencies you mention in our service are not representative of the W Vieques, as we strive to deliver the most memorable, personalized experiences for each of our guests.

We would like to have the opportunity to further look into the incidents you mention regarding items that went missing from your room. This is the first time we encounter such an incident and would like to ensure we implement all measurements to avoid it repeats itself in the future.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to a true W Vieques experience.

Greg White - General Manager
W Vieques

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The W is a work of art inside and out. Views of the ocean from every part of the property. And that famous W interior design. And that huge tub. Everyone on staff is helpful and well trained. The restaurant puts out delicious adaptations of local cuisine, served on the dining porch with its lovely view out northeast to Culebra. I got a kick listening to the underwater music in the pool, and the gym is large and well furnished. The W lounge at the airport is a creative and thoughtful way to welcome you off the plane while you wait for a ride. They have thought of everything.

Well, maybe except they should think about putting screens on the glass doors of the rooms, so we could leave the door open at night to listen to the waves and the tree frogs. THEN it would be perfection.

Room Tip: They are ALL good rooms. Even the "garden" rooms face the sea.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidhauk
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience with us!
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the stay thoroughly, from the decor, to the food, to the pool's underwater music.

We hope to have you back with us soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Beautiful, relaxing lovely hotel. From the moment you get off plane they greet you with kindness.
We rented a jeep and went beach hopping, which I totally recommend. Beaches are amazing. Restaurants are wonderful in town. My only complaint was the dog that was allowed in restaurant. I have no problem with a pet friendly hotel. It was not a dog used for handicap purposes. Someone did complain, but it was not addressed. When I saw dog sitting on the chair and they were feeding it off the table, that's when I said something,and still nothing was done. Actually they brought dog to breakfast next day, that's when we walked out. Other than that we were fine.

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us.
I am happy to learn you found some time to relax in paradise.

I am sorry however, to read about the incident with pets. While it is true that we are a dog friendly Retreat, we ensure that all guests, with or without pets, are enjoying their experience.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
#6 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!