Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Vacation”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed 5 May 2014

What can I say... Incredible place!... What truly makes a "resort" is it's staff... And Hands down, the best assemblge of staff/employees I have ever spent vacation time with. The Resort itself is top notch...beutiful rooms,grounds,amenities, etc..... By all means, if given the chance... GO FOR IT !!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Welcome

We are excited to read your amazing feedback!
I will make sure to pass along your kudos to the team, who will be thrilled to learn they are providing our guests with the most memorable experiences.

We hope to have you back soon!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Where do I start on this property? Let me first address my title - upon arriving I was told to beware of criminals - when you go to the beaches the driver told me they will smash your car windows and steel everything and that you should not take anything valuable with you - for this to be part of the normal conversation and so easy kinda shocked me. The second part - I was charged $73.20 on my credit card for mini bar - where it was clearly pretty much empty when I arrived. I find this really audacious and if it wasn't - the hotel is clearly incapable of doing a proper job - not apologies either, just a grudging refund after I questioned this. I wonder how many others they are taking this money from - especially when you consider the $60++ daily resort fee. The room itself stank of soggy bathers and was dark and dingy. Certainly not W like in anyway. The toiletries were not replenished each day. When I asked for room service to provide extra amenities this went UNANSWERED and not done. When we arrived at the swimming pool on the first day to order some food, we had to wait over 45 minutes to find someone to serve us. When I arrived as an SPG Gold, I contacted them ahead of time, and was not able to checkin till around 3 or 4 pm or so, whilst my colleague had a room around or just after noon with NO STATUS. So much for their pre arrival message and discussion with me about my early arrival. When I arrived at the W lounge on the plane, some 6 others on the plane barged their way into the lounge, and WERE NOT EVEN GUESTS at the hotel. The lady who was gracious and allowed them to stay in the lounge, leaving us NO WHERE TO SIT whilst these non hotel guests eat all the foot and make themselves comfortable for around 20 minutes. Unacceptable. The restaurant - so we went there to eat and got seated the restaurant had may 3 other tables and the restaurant would close in about 20 minutes or so. We were abrubptly told you can't sit there you must check with the front desk - I said are you serious? the place is pretty much empty (and by the way nobody came by for that table anyway) at least they could have checked instead of us making us get up and walk all the way around - so much for service this does not deserve a resort label. In all, this hotel SUCKS. Avoid it and don't let it ruin your holiday. As a travel agent, I can't believe people would be paying north of $700/night at this property. I felt it was barely worth the approx $200/night I paid. There are so many better choices, don't let the dream holiday ruin it for you when you make your way here. AVOID THIS PROPERTY LIKE THE PLAGUE. Starwood should be removing their W brand from this proeprty. I would NEVER recommend any of my customers to come near this property.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank kawoh

Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
I am very sorry to read your expectations were not met. Rest assured this is not representative of the W Vieques as the talent strives to provide the most personalized level of service to all of our guests.

We would like the opportunity to further clarify the items you feel were wrongfully charged to your account. Having a transparent billing process is one of our top priorities and we aim to ensure all guests understand and feel comfortable with the process, amending any mistakes that may arise in the process.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back, and provide you with an experience that truly represents the W Vieques, and this beautiful island.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a best kept secret! The island is laid back, unspoiled and beautiful!

When we arrived at the W lounge at the airport we were greeted with drinks. When we arrived at the hotel the staff was very accommodating and we were upgraded to a suite. It was absolutely amazing! I could see the ocean from our bed. What a dream! The hotel was not that crowded and felt like there was just enough activities, but enough to relax.

My 12 year old absolutely loved the wild horses. We walked every morning to see the horses and they were tame. This was the highlight of her trip! There is snorkeling and water activities right off the beach. We were disappointed that the bio bay was not glowing bright so the trips were being cancelled.

We rented a jeep and explored the island. The Caribbean side was amazing. We felt very safe while on the island. We will definitely visit again.

Stayed: March 2014
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Welcome

It is great to read you and your family enjoyed your amazing stay, and had the opportunity to explore some of the pristine beaches surrounding the island. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back!
Greg White- GM W Vieques

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

A friend and I went away for our birthdays last week to Vieques and stayed at the W for 3 nights. The Easter crowd had died down, so not a ton of kids around, but still some families and mostly couples. Rent a jeep to get around the island from Maritza's, there's nothing walking distance from the hotel, which is on a beautiful secluded property that blends luxury into the natural setting. Bring mosquito repellant! We got crushed :)

Service was fantastic: front desk Edgardo helped us with late check out, room service brought us extra Bliss bath products, bellhops were friendly and patient as we were on island time, concierge lent us a book about Vieques' history - they are all truly following the "whatever, whenever" service policy. Best part was the amazing paddle boarding and snorkeling 2 hour tour that the on site Blackbeard sports manager Billy took us on. Spontaneously offered, free of charge, to teach us how to paddle board and showed us the reef by the hotel - so fun and got us off our lazy poolside chairs!

Definitely recommend this property. Wild horses roam, they won't bother you, just adds to the exotic allure :) have fun in vieques!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elisch29

Welcome,

It is great to read you fully enjoyed the several activities available at the Retreat as well as the Whatever/Whenever service culture!
Thank you for taking the time to share your amazing experience with us.

We hope to welcome you back soon,
Best Wishes - Greg White GM W Vieques

Reviewed 28 April 2014

For a short or quick get-a-way, the W Retreat in Vieques is hands down incredible. This was our 3rd visit to the property and it still delivers a relaxing, tranquil vacation.

Although not located on one of Vieques' pristine beaches, the view is amazing and you can get in the water from their private beach. (Head to BLUE BEACH via a jeep rental from jaw-dropping scenery and privacy)

The service from the staff is top notch. They handle handle every question, concern and request quickly and efficiently.

The rooms are modern, clean and W-chic. Most recently we had the biggest room offered and the soaking tub was welcomed after a long day at the beach.

Breakfast offers a nice selection to start your day. Platinum members can also get a quick bite at the cafe.

The shop on-site assisted in our jeep rental, bio-bay tour and equipment needs. The staff there was very friendly and knowledgable with local recommendations.

I was recognized for my status and frequent stays at the property, which is always nice.

I recommend this for couples or friends, a stretch for families though.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelingGuy31

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your amazing experience with us. I feel honored to learn you have chosen the W Vieques as your holiday destination on several occasions.

We hope to welcome you back soon to this great oasis!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is beautiful and boasts amazing views, beaches and pool. (One beach was adult only! Hooray!) We were on the island for our honeymoon and really enjoyed the little oasis that the W provided. Lounging in the sun and admiring the views and watching the sunset was the most relaxing parts of our honeymoon. The room was beautiful and included a extremely comfortable round lounging chair that I wanted to take home with us! Like other reviewers we emptied the fridge for our own "snacks" that we picked up from one of the local supermarkets.

While I agree with other reviewers that the W front desk and airport lounge service were outstanding, the other service areas left a lot to be desired. We met several folks around the island that were planning to come to the W for dinner at Sorce, and I would say "Skip it!" Each time we tried Sorce, the service was horrible and lifeless (the waitresses and hostess seemed pained to talk to us unlike elsewhere in PR where the servers were fun and seemed to get a kick out of my horrible Spanish and my husbands fluid PR Spanish). Beyond the bland and almost rude service (the hostess was just plain rude!) the food was nothing special compared to other locations on Vieques (Tin Box was tasty and the setting was really neat. Duffy's has great food and a fun staff. Belly buttons breakfast is an experience!). For Easter breakfast the food on the buffet was cold and my husband ordered a ham and cheese omelet and got a egg omelet). Not worth the money or the fight to get the food you ordered.

Beyond Sorce the service was slow and not what you would expect from a W. I gave up on the beach supply shack when I asked for towels and they were basically thrown at me with the clip board to sign them out. Yikes!

Again, amazing place that we enjoyed but cringe at the service or lack of service. Stay here for the view and ambiance but explore other options for food and drink! If the hostess at Sorce is rude when you get there, RUN! They haven't improved anything.

Room Tip: Villa 32 was beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelGirl10t2

Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, and congratulations on your recent wedding! We are honored you chose the W Vieques as the destination to celebrate such a unique occasion.
It is great to learn you enjoyed the views, beaches and overall hotel grounds.

It is saddening however, to read that in other aspects of your stay your expectations were not exceeded. I am sorry about your experience at Sorce, rest assured we place tremendous efforts in ensuring the talent is fully trained to personalize and amplify the experience of every guest. I will ensure to look into the matters you address and implement the appropriate measurements.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The W is definitely one of the nicest places to stay on Vieques and it will definitely cost you! The one thing I can't understand though is why they give you no information regarding tours or car rental before you stay especially if you've booked directly through the hotel. It's amazing the lack of information about the availability of tours, etc. i booked a month in advance and no even a small bit of information was given. And despite that fact that people are nice and the service is good once you get here they don't seem to care about customer feedback at all it goes in one ear and out the other. And it may be the only place where you ask for the manager of the hotel and they seem to think it is a joke. Make sure to plan your vacation fully before coming to the island including excursions unless you literally want to do nothing while here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole S

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I am sorry to read that your expectations in certain areas were not exceeded.
We take our guest's feedback very seriously, as we continuously place efforts to improve the quality of our service in order to provide each and every guest with the most personalized and memorable experience possible.

There is an array of tours available on island that go from scuba diving, to snorkeling, horseback riding, kayaking, hiking and bicycle rental to car rentals to explore the pristine beaches that surround the retreat. Blackbeard sports, the on-site tour shop is always available and willing to provide our guests with suggestions, as so is our W Insider and the concierge team. I am sorry to read this is not how it was perceived by you during your stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back, to the W Vieques experience that has captivated so many guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
Malecon House
Malecon House
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!