“Caution: A "BAT" Experience”

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Los Angeles, California
“Caution: A "BAT" Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful oceanfront resort on the island of Vieques. The property itself is amazing, including the pool area, adult beach, and well appointed rooms. My positive comments include friendly staff, great location, reasonable pricing for W property in a tropical destination (with exception of the $60/day Resort Fee). A bit excessive for what you get. Now here's the negative comments, which for me far outweigh all the positive things experienced during the 3-day stay. On the last night, a bat (yes, I typed bat) was found in the room close to the vanity area of the bathroom. I have no idea how long the flying rodent was in the room, but to say the least it was a shock to see something of this nature in the room. Immediately I contacted the front desk to alert them of the situation. The operator did not seem too concerned about the complaint and casually said she would send hotel security to investigate. As a healthcare provider I know how dangerous a bat bite can be. They carry a variety of diseases including rabies if bitten. After waiting almost 20 minutes, finally somebody showed up but the bat went "undercover" in the room. Thank God I took a couple of pictures (heck yes, from a distance) to prove to the staff there was a real situation at-hand. After several minutes of searching the room for the bat, they were just going to leave the room and call off the search. I said, "absolutely not. If you cannot find it you will move me to a other room." Disgruntled by their facial reactions the search continued, but not at their free-will. After another 10 minutes, or so, the bat was located in a sandal located on the floor. Now just imagine for a moment putting your foot into a sandal and stepping on a bat. Worse, imagine sleeping in the room and having a bat lurking around you all night. Or even landing on you while sleeping. The security employee said, "we'll comp your breakfast in the morning." Okay, I don't know about you, but a "free" breakfast does not seem like a good way to resolve this type of situation. Granted, I was not bitten or attacked, but I could have been and exposed to something life threatening. The morning of checkout, I explained to the young gentleman at the front desk what happened. He said this was the first time he had heard of a bat being in a guest room. Okay, call it bad luck but I don't think it's a situation that should ever happen to any guest. The security guy claimed the balcony door must have been left over. My answer to that statement...totally wrong!! The young kid at checkout said he would check with his supervisor on what he should do to help "compensate" for the bad experience. Two days of the $60 per day resort fee was credited. After spending close to $1,800 for a 3-day stay and having to worry the entire last night that maybe, just maybe, a second bat might have gotten into the room, I feel the hotel should have credited my entire food/beverage charges and all resort fees for the stay. Is this too much to ask for? I would love to hear your comments. In summary, just very surprised the W was so casual about my experience with the bat. Will I come back and stay at the W resort in Vieques...still not sure. I hate to let one bad experience spoil an otherwise perfect holiday weekend, but you expect a 5-Star property chain to be more responsive and accommodating to a situation like this one. Let's see if the W will even follow up with. Stay tuned.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Gregg C
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in such detail with us.

I can assure you we are looking into the issues you address in your review. The retreat’s secluded location brings great opportunities to experience nature first hand, in its most pristine ways, as it also poses additional challenges. The safety and security of all guests is paramount to us.
I can assure you the faults in service are not representative of the W Vieques as the talent is constantly striving to create memorable experiences for every guest.

We certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and make your stay one that conveys all the values the W Vieques stands for.

Greg White- GM W Vieques

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at the W Hotel for our honeymoon (one week) and only have wonderful things to say. We stayed in an oceanfront room that had amazing views (and was huge). The pool was a perfect temperature and the ocean, just steps away, was perfect and easy to get in and out of. The other reviewers are correct, it is pricey to eat/drink at the W; however, we expected that at a resort. Jump in a cab ($5 per person each way) and go out to eat. Also, be sure to take a cab to a few other beaches. Do not doubt yourself, book here.

Room Tip: The pool area got busy on the weekend, so if you are looking for quiet, request a room not near the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Welcome,

Let me start by congratulating you on your recent wedding!

We feel honored you chose the W Vieques as your honeymoon destination.

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. I am thrilled to read we had a valuable contribution in the creation of an unforgettable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Warmest Regards,
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Beautiful grounds, very helpful and attentive staff, the pools were amazing. The beach was private and clean. The restaurants had a great menu and the food was very tasty. The rooms were spacious and clean! Very romantic and mostly kid free!

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous feedback with us!
It is exciting to read you experienced amplified rest and relaxation

We look forward to welcoming you back

best wishes
Vega Alta, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the W Hotel for a one night business trip and it exceeded my expectations by a lot. I had heard about the W in Vieques for a long time but never gotten the chance to visit it until a recent business opportunity came up in Vieques and our group stayed for one night only. The Hotel is surely set up for couples. The room layout is very cool with a huge bathroom area including separate bath and shower areas. The vibe in the hotel is to go with your partner and have a great time. The service is top notch with attention to details. The food was top quality at resort prices. Is a place if you are planning on a vacation to relax and enjoy the facilities and rooms and stay put in the resort during your stay. If you want to explore the Island, I would suggest other hotels in Vieques.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience!
Because of the privacy and pristine location of both the retreat and the island, couples are indeed very attracted to the destination, although we welcome a fair share of business travelers on incentive trips and families.

I am thrilled we were able to contribute to the creation of amazing memories.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Best Wishes
Greg White- GM W Vieques.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Wonderful and relax weekend! Since we arrived the service was outstanding and super friendly, in general the experience exceed our expectations. We had an ocean view room with great weather, enjoyed the pool, cocktails at sunset and the kayaking!

Room Tip: Rooms near the main pool area are ideal if you like music and been close to pool area.
1 Thank brendamrodz
Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience with us!
I am excited to read your expectations were exceeded.

We look forward to welcoming you back
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've been back to the W twice since my last review when I visited in January 2013. So obviously I still enjoy very much the hotel and the Island. I am now complacent with what they offer and give it a solid 4 stars. When you visit 5 star hotels, you know the difference. (When they first opened I felt like it was a 5 star hotel.) Regardless, I have been there 5 times already and always take friends or family and we have a wonderful time. A few comments: Milly, the server poolside is exellent, as is the male conciege. I am annoyed at the other conciege,Yaritza; although she made all the reservations I asked for, she claimed the restaurants would not take reservations later that 7:00 pm for my group of 10 friends, when I asked repeatedly. I decided to call both restaurants myself, and they said there would be absolutely no problem in making the reservations for 9:00 pm. The ladies serving at the W Cafe need to take a happy pill! Awful attitude!! The hotel really needs to get more light in the room, at least by the mirror! Women don't see a thing when applying make-up! Hotel decor and ambiance is absolutely beautiful and zen. Sorce was good for breakfast and lunch, but although beautiful, we dined better at the restaurants in Esperanza. Make sure to rent a Jeep and visit the beaches, restaurants and the other activities offered in Vieques, especially the bio bay and the paddleboarding eco tour. Horseback riding tour was fun also! To sum it up, I live in San Juan and this is the only property that I visit continually due to proximity, ease from Isla Grande aiport, value, and enjoyment. The property has been kept up nicely since it opened.

Room Tip: I like the pool rooms on the first floor. You have direct access through the glass sliding door to t...
Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience with us!
We are honored you have chosen the W Vieques as your venue to get amplified rest and relaxation on so many consecutive occasions.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back!

Greg White - GM W Vieques
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Favorite part of my trip to Puerto Rico. Not huge on staying in resorts, would usually prefer renting a home on the beach, however, I'd stay at The W again. Hotel wasn't overly crowded, many beaches, tennis, board games, an adult beach, great gym... not much more you could ask for. Went for a walk and within 10 minutes was at a private beach away from the hotel, one of the nicest beaches I saw on the trip and no one was there. A short cab ride to the main area of the island, also stunning. Recommend going as a couple/family.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a deck, lower level doesn't offer any privacy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Welcome,

We are thrilled to read you enjoyed the grounds at the W and took full advantage of all the beauty that the retreat and the island have to offer.

Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Best wishes,
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,114 reviews
Hacienda Tamarindo
Hacienda Tamarindo
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!