“A little slice of paradise...”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed 2 August 2014

When I dream of Vieques, I dream in blue - bright blue! This setting is truly wonderful, remote but not really (we flew 16hrs from the Middle East so it was worth it!) . Upon our arrival we were given a complimentary cocktails as we had a bit of a hellish delay and flight from Miami so missed out on the W airport lounge (but saw it on the way back, cool idea!)

The resort is big enough to lose yourself in but not that big. Please enjoy Whisper Beach! We loved each morning there with nothing but the waves crashing. I would practice yoga daily up at Paradise Edge with total peace, just the ocean below and sometimes I would spot my lost dog I called Castaway romping about the beach on his own. He was friendly - don't be scared.

Our suite was fine, I've seen better from W but it was spacious, very clean and very quirky which we love. Especially the bath, an awesome tub! I just didn't like the lack of light in such a bright setting. We had hoped for Ocean view but it was more like a corner of the ocean....slightly dissapointed, we could hear it though.

The overall hotels grand house is gorgeous with expesive creative furniture, super bright and modern. Loved the day beds so much i asked about buying one (dream on) and the fire pit is beautiful day or night! Grab a free tea or coffee in the morning and take to the seats on the edge to watch the Caribbean lap at the bay. Enjoy the private WET pool located on the hill beside the bigger villas. The main WET area is quite during the week but heats up on weekends when locals visit. We happened to be there on Consitution Weekend which provided a great party atmosphere with events on in the hotel and a wedding which looked pretty.
We did enjoy daily rum punch ($8 each which isnt bad)...

Sorce delivers beautiful food so well worth a few meals there but get out to. We visited Tin Box in Esperanza - was fun!

So why only 4 stars and not 5? (Actually I'd say more 4.5 out of 5) ..... Well, we've visited many W hotels but this was the first 'retreat'. We had heard amazing things about the W Maldives Retreat so had expected a similar experience due to the higher cost of staying there ($65 a day resort fee ontop of your nights stay does add up..) so whilst the Maldives property dishes out free Ben & Jerrys ice cream in true W fashion, Vieques does not. In fact many days we were at the WET and there was no signature W music which we had hoped and expected. Really no big deal, it is a retreat afterall so we wanted it a little more relaxed anyway. It just felt that the W brand had maybe forgotten a little bit about this property, like it was left out from some of the signature W brand touches (no in room dining menus...no daily water given and often Bliss products were forgotten) - all of which was no problem for the staff to bring but calling every day for a week becomes a little annoying whilst spending so much.

That is really our only complaint about the hotel and its brand. The staff were all pretty good, some more than others. We had a little bit of annoyance with the WET bar staff who were super friendly and on a special party day kept giving us extra drinks when they wouldnt normally, they then charged us when it really felt like they were free... Our fault perhaps. In the W Cafe, the ladies we encountered each morning weren't typically 'W'. They seemed stressed, unhappy and slow... I've been to much better W Cafes.. And hotel Yoga was interesting. I'm actually a qualified Yoga teacher so enjoy trying different styles worldwide and normally in hotels you are offered a basic Hatha or Flow class that is easy more the majority to follow. I took my Husband along and he was lost. The teacher was late, a little kooky which is fine with me but she taught Kundalini which is very specific and this was after 5 out of the 6 of us informed her we were beginners. I'd definetley recommend reviewing the class....

Away Spa was gorgeous and a must for your stay! Set in beautiful gardens we enjoyed a class of champagne outside after our treatments and the girls at reception were gorgeous, such great staff there so gracias to them for accommodating us!

I wouldn't hesistate to recommend this retreat - my review may seems a little critical but thats only because of the level of service in other W properties. The island is truly beautiful, remote but part of the adventure! Make sure and take Cape Air from San Juan and you'll be there in just 20mins. Hire bikes, get out there, see the beautiful wild horses! Kayak Bio Bay but book it in advance (we were lucky to get onto a trip thanks to the Insiders at the hotel - helpful staff!) So its not all bad, 5% and that is mostly down to the price you pay makes your expectations perhaps a little high.

Go and enjoy it you won't regret it - especially the blue hues of the Caribbean each day!

Room Tip: Please pay more for the Ocean View (not poolside) ask to face Whisper Beach...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sunnybunny7381
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience in such detail.
I am thrilled to read you enjoyed the pristine location of the retreat and all the beauty the island has to offer.

We are committed to making our guests' experiences memorable and personalized and I will ensure to look into the matters you bring to our attention in your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I just came back from the W from having my Honeymoon and the experience was outstanding.
The constant sensation of peace, the warmth of the staff overall just Perfect. At their Restaurant Sorcé make sure you ask to be attended by Joel a Vieques native with the most exquisite personality you could ever meet. At Wet in the pool area Liany, Richey and Robert are going to make sure you have a Exelente time. Arelis Gonzalez will make sure that everything is accordingly to your needs in the main house bottom line just perfect. The only constructive criticism I got it from the W Café. It said 100% puertorican coffee yet I had the most horrible cup of Coffee ever. It was all water no coffee at all. Puertorican Coffee is strong, full flavored. Capable of waking up an Elephant, I should know I'm from San Juan and I'm 6'5" 330LBS. and I have never imagine myself throwing a cup of Coffee to the trash. Until I had Coffee their. The Ladies attending this place are also a bit on the bitter side, the long faces and the limited one smile per customer makes you think that they may not be Morning person's at all.... Looking forward to seeing them again for my Anniversary..

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Welcome,

Let me start by congratulating you on your recent wedding!
We feel honored you chose the W Vieques as your honeymoon destination.

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. I am thrilled to read we had a valuable contribution in the creation of an unforgettable stay.
We will also look into the areas of opportunity you bring to our attention, as we continue on constantly crafting memorable experiences for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Warmest Regards,

Greg White - GM W Vieques

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband & I enjoyed a beautiful 5 night stay at the W. We flew in from New York City to San Juan, then took a small 9 seater plane to Vieques. That plane was a bit scary, but the ride was only 20 minutes. The W has an amazing lounge at the airport in Vieques with complementary drinks including rum punch & free wifi, tv etc. In a short while, we were excorted to the hotel via a complementary shuttle.

Our villa was beautiful, spacious, clean & with a great view of the pool & the ocean. The amenities at the resort were great. The 24 hour gym has top of the line equipment, pristine with plenty of towels, water, earplugs for the screens, and a deck outside for yoga. Although we didn't use the hotel spa, we toured it and it was beautiful. The grounds are so nice & clean - 2 beautiful pools, 2 small beaches, plenty of chairs, umbrellas & kayaks. Food & drinks are available all day. The kitchen is very accommodating. You can ask for things even if you don't see it on the menu.

The restaurant at the hotel was great, as well as all of the restaurants in town. Our favorite was Trade Winds. Horseback riding was fun. They took us to 2 beaches & on a hilly trail. There are 2 places on the island to do this. We used the place right next door to the hotel & was happy.

Unfortunately, we were not able to get out to the Bio Bay because the Vieques wildlife assoc placed strict restrictions on the Bio Bay tours. They are only permitted to go out Friday & Saturday nights & with limited amounts of people. We were not informed of this restriction in advance, so when we asked the concierge to book this for us, they were completely sold out. Definitely the W should have told us to book in advance and this info should be included on their website to avoid disappointed customers.

Other than that, every request we made was accommodated. We wanted a quiet vacation retreat and we got exactly that. It's a quiet island. No gambling or night clubs here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience in such detail.
I am excited to learn you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to truly relax.

we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We just stayed overnight at this lovely resort. We planned our trip to Vieques to tour Mosquito Bay. Unfortunately, this bio bay is only open to tours on the weekends as pollution is destroying the sea life. So... We settled in at the resort and just enjoyed ourselves. The staff was outstanding, the rooms fabulous, and the views breathtaking. The restaurants served great food at reasonable prices with fabulous views. The water sports were included in the resort fee and we enjoyed kayaking and paddle boarding. The pool area was far superior to the rocky beach areas. There are nicer beaches on the island, but we just enjoyed what the W had to offer. I would have given this hotel five stars, but getting there was a huge hassle and time waster. We took the ferry from Fajardo and it took hours to go to and from because you have to arrive at the port early to purchase a ticket then wait and wait and wait. The ferry runs on island time. Take the plane if you can afford it. I would definitely recommend this hotel/resort to everyone and would stay here again. As a side note - beware the wild horses. They inhabit the island and are everywhere.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Tksizzle

Welcome,

We are thrilled to read you enjoyed the grounds and took full advantage of the beauty the retreat and the island have to offer.
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My best friend got married here and it was a nice location. The people where very nice especially Felix he was so hot, yummmmy. The locals where nice also but we had tons of stuff come up missing from our hotel room. We bought a cheese try and it was like $35 bucks. I ordered breakfast from the kids menu because I couldn't eat all huge servings. All in all this was great except that we had the following come up missing. Diamond necklace, Brides silk robe,personal beach towel, shoes and that's all I can think of. I think this is the only nice hotel on the island. IF you fly CAPE AIR get there early some of the bridal party had BS and had to take ferry (DONT TAKE FERRY ITS NEVER ON TIME) and 2 of the girls on my return flight got moved to another plane and we landed on time but the airport requires you to check in min of 45 min early and we didn't get there in time(due to booking on priceline) and they wouldn't let us on the flight so we had to wait for another flight. Airport ladies where rude at check in but nice once we got through security. All in all it was a beautiful place but I'm not going back.

Room Tip: We got a room with the view of the pool and beach and didn't have to pay early. We were nice and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Welcome

Thank you for sharing your feeback with us
I am sorry to read that although you enjoyed the grounds, your expectations were not exceeded
Rest assured safety and security of all guests is paramount to us. We place great efforts in ensuring all talent is properly trained to provide the most honest, memorable service for our guests.
Please allow us the opportunity to clarify on the items you mention were missing from your room, in order to provide the proper investigation to the subject and take action accordingly.

Best wishes

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family stayed at the W for an overnight trip to see the bioluminescent bay! I was truthfully a little concerned because this definitely seemed like more of a couples retreat, which it is, however they do a fabulous job of incorporating their families offering separate beaches and many small intentionally hidden and private spots where couples could go relax together and families with young ones can easily avoid. Everyone has a place to relax and enjoy at the W to get what they want from their vacation without interference. The property is something straight out of a magazine with every type of guest desire anticipated in advanced. Vieques is somewhat limited in transportation so the resort even has its own concierge area at the Airport with all day shuttles and a rental jeep location on property. The grounds a immaculate the on property store very well appointed and although I did not use it I can only imagine what the Spa is like. The on property restaurant had a great menu with something for everyone. The pool was perfect and not at all overcrowded, kept at a great temperature and complete with underwater sound system. The beaches were beautiful and clean with complimentary life vests, sea kayaking, snorkeling, paddle boards, beach chairs and umbrellas. Our trip was very pleasing service was polite and professional although a little slow but considering everything else I have decidedly attributed this to be island time :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gretchen S

Welcome

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful oceanfront resort on the island of Vieques. The property itself is amazing, including the pool area, adult beach, and well appointed rooms. My positive comments include friendly staff, great location, reasonable pricing for W property in a tropical destination (with exception of the $60/day Resort Fee). A bit excessive for what you get. Now here's the negative comments, which for me far outweigh all the positive things experienced during the 3-day stay. On the last night, a bat (yes, I typed bat) was found in the room close to the vanity area of the bathroom. I have no idea how long the flying rodent was in the room, but to say the least it was a shock to see something of this nature in the room. Immediately I contacted the front desk to alert them of the situation. The operator did not seem too concerned about the complaint and casually said she would send hotel security to investigate. As a healthcare provider I know how dangerous a bat bite can be. They carry a variety of diseases including rabies if bitten. After waiting almost 20 minutes, finally somebody showed up but the bat went "undercover" in the room. Thank God I took a couple of pictures (heck yes, from a distance) to prove to the staff there was a real situation at-hand. After several minutes of searching the room for the bat, they were just going to leave the room and call off the search. I said, "absolutely not. If you cannot find it you will move me to a other room." Disgruntled by their facial reactions the search continued, but not at their free-will. After another 10 minutes, or so, the bat was located in a sandal located on the floor. Now just imagine for a moment putting your foot into a sandal and stepping on a bat. Worse, imagine sleeping in the room and having a bat lurking around you all night. Or even landing on you while sleeping. The security employee said, "we'll comp your breakfast in the morning." Okay, I don't know about you, but a "free" breakfast does not seem like a good way to resolve this type of situation. Granted, I was not bitten or attacked, but I could have been and exposed to something life threatening. The morning of checkout, I explained to the young gentleman at the front desk what happened. He said this was the first time he had heard of a bat being in a guest room. Okay, call it bad luck but I don't think it's a situation that should ever happen to any guest. The security guy claimed the balcony door must have been left over. My answer to that statement...totally wrong!! The young kid at checkout said he would check with his supervisor on what he should do to help "compensate" for the bad experience. Two days of the $60 per day resort fee was credited. After spending close to $1,800 for a 3-day stay and having to worry the entire last night that maybe, just maybe, a second bat might have gotten into the room, I feel the hotel should have credited my entire food/beverage charges and all resort fees for the stay. Is this too much to ask for? I would love to hear your comments. In summary, just very surprised the W was so casual about my experience with the bat. Will I come back and stay at the W resort in Vieques...still not sure. I hate to let one bad experience spoil an otherwise perfect holiday weekend, but you expect a 5-Star property chain to be more responsive and accommodating to a situation like this one. Let's see if the W will even follow up with. Stay tuned.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Gregg C

Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in such detail with us.

I can assure you we are looking into the issues you address in your review. The retreat’s secluded location brings great opportunities to experience nature first hand, in its most pristine ways, as it also poses additional challenges. The safety and security of all guests is paramount to us.
I can assure you the faults in service are not representative of the W Vieques as the talent is constantly striving to create memorable experiences for every guest.

We certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and make your stay one that conveys all the values the W Vieques stands for.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
Malecon House
Malecon House
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!