“Beautiful hotel with exceptional service”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed at the W Retreat and Spa in Vieques with friends in June 2010. We couldn't have had a nicer time. The staff was wonderful, from Jorge who checked us in to Oscar who was a source of information and great conversation. This island is a true gem in the Carribean and once people discover it's charm it will be a place that you go back to time and time again. Especially if you are lucky enough to stay at the W. The food was great by the pool, at the bar and especially at the hotel's restaurant. I felt truly pampered as I was given cool towels by the pool and frozen grapes. The rooms are beautifully decorated and everwhere you went in the resort offered a comfortable place to sit and relax. We spent many nights by the firepit and in the hotel lobby which they call the "living room" because it truly makes you feel at home. If you can request a room on the ground level near the pool you will not be disappointed. We even moved for one night just to have a room there when it became available. Be sure to rent a car and visit other parts of this island especially Esperanza. Nice little town with a few shops and restaurants. Very easy to navigate around the island and see it's true beauty. We are looking forward to returning next year at the same time. We hope to find the same welcoming staff.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PJF09

Reviewed 7 October 2010

My husband and I visited Puerto Rico for our honeymoon this week and we have had a great time. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan (very nice), the El Conquistador (also nice) but by far the highlight of our trip has been our stay at the W on Vieques. This property is absolutely stunning. Every single detail has been pre-thought out and the hotel is magical. The property is beautiful... with two beaches and probably the most beautiful pool that I have ever seen. The common areas are tranquil and inviting. The staff is outstanding. The rooms are to die for.... the food is expensive but worth every single penny. The house dog "Guana" is a sweetie pie... The General Manager found out it was our honeymoon and he sent a bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries to our room with his complements. I cannot say enough about how wonderful this hotel is. We will definitely be coming back. I have stayed in magnificent hotels all over the world and this one is definitely my most favorite ever. We have had rain since we got here and that has not even clouded our experience here. Come stay here and relax... you will not regret it! The island itself is very beautiful and there are many beautiful beaches to visit. The town of Esperana is darling... lots of great restaurants... nice to go for a meal or two.... but the experience of the W Hotel Vieques is the best.....

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annectaylor
Reviewed 7 October 2010

The hotel itself was very clean, modern and nice. Great rooms, bed, ext. However... the staff seemed more like a bunch of island kids playing around than what you would expect from a four star resort. They were all slow, and seemed stoned most of the time.
There is only one restaurant on property, so not much options for food. The beaches there were horrible, you have to take a taxi across the island to see the real nice beaches with calm, clear waters.
And if you're not staying in an ocean front view on the quiet side of the resort (whisper beach side) don't even bother. The side near the pool was loud. And the garden view rooms, seem like they just face the parking lot.
Overall I had a good time because I was in an Ocean Front on the quiet side, but for the money could and should have been better.
Oh... and check your bill carefully, because they overcharge (nickel and dime you) every chance they get.
What this hotel needs is a new staff and better beaches. Next time I'll head to Hawaii, or another island in the Caribbean.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LASteve1977
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Most guests at the recently opened W Retreat Vieques probably don’t know that it was once the Starwood Martineau Resort. I have seen both incarnations, in 2007 and 2010, respectively. W Hotels has completely renovated the old Martineau, and has created a unique W experience that ranks with their best properties (which I consider to include Mexico City and Montreal). They redesigned most structures inside and out, built new units and amenities, and established a consistent reclaimed wood aesthetic throughout that reminds you that you are on a luxurious W property.

Or perhaps I should say, “a W Retreat,” because that’s what it is. This is the W’s second retreat-style resort following its extremely expensive and exclusive Maldives retreat in the Indian Ocean. What makes it a retreat? In addition to all the familiar W qualities (a pool bar, the “Living Room” lounge, “Sweat” gym, coffee shop, conference space, and “Whatever Whenever” service), the W Retreats have a large spa and a private beach.
There are actually two private beaches at the W Retreat, kept exactly as they were when the resort was the Starwood Martineau. They are little coves, bordered on both sides by boulders and coral, so that neither beach is visible from the other. The smaller cove allows topless (“European style”) sunbathing. The larger cove is family friendly. Both coves are perfectly fine for sunbathing. But being on the island’s northern coast, they do not have ideal water color and temperature. They are totally swimmable. But you will want to drive to the warmer, brilliant turquoise waters of the south coast beaches (Navio, Red, Blue, Garcia, etc.) to enjoy the ideal, “postcard” Caribbean beach experience.

I was a given a full tour of the resort, plus I had lunch at the pool bar, and I have to say, the prices simply do not justify the few advantages that the W offers. The cocktails at the bar are simply not special. They aren’t memorable nor strong. The gazpacho is wonderful, but the sandwiches are uninspired. Lunch for two (soup, sandwich, and two cocktails) was over $60. So it was memorable for the wrong reason.

The W offers one thing that most hotels on the island do not – room darkening curtains. Most rooms in Vieques are white, bright, tiled spaces that offer no escape from the morning sun. At least guests at the W can sleep late without being disturbed by sunlight.
Another tidbit – the front security gate is completely unnecessary. Yes, this is an exclusive resort for mostly mainland US residents. But Vieques is not some banana republic. It is a lazy island owned by the USA.

Considering that the W charges roughly double what most other Vieques hotels charge, and it charges a $60 per night ‘resort fee’ on top of that, the W is not a practical place to rest your head at night. Rather, the W is a fine place to stay if you ever earn enough Starwood Preferred Guest points. There are several other fine hotels – even colorful new houses with swimming pools you can rent – for less cash. And when you are on an island where you will be spending just as many hours on the beach as you will be sleeping, finding a better hotel value is a wise move.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clooney_99
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Spent two days at this property over the weekend after I discovered it on an SPG site. After spending the day in San Juan, my friend and I took a 20 minute flight to the island. The W airport lounge was a really nice touch when we arrived, however it was closed on our return. While we went to the airport expecting to sit in an air conditioned lounge with food and drink, we waited 45 minutes in a sweltering hot makeshift terminal. I wish the W had informed us the lounge would we be closed prior to us leaving the hotel. The hotel staff is very friendly and attentive. Everyone tried really hard to make sure all our needs were met and I feel they did a phenomenal job. The hotel is quite nice but I was not to thrilled with the layout. My room was right next to the lobby and the partial view of the lobby and a section that doubled as service area for the living bar. It was very unappealing especially considering they had private events going on. The beach is very nice and was not crowded at all. The beach staff (Orlando) was awesome as well. All the food on property is handled by Ducasse and is decent but pricey (the breakfast was excellent). Do not go to his hotel if you are on a budget of any kind. The hotel charges a $60 resort fee which includes services that should be standard. At most properties I find a comp bottle of water from SPG, here it was a $9 bottle of Fiji and no other SPG gifts. "Who's thirsty?" Not me for 9 bucks a bottle. Lauren at the concierge was very helpful in planning our activities, however, there is not much to do. Outside the hotel there is really nothing much to do at all. The town is almost not even worth checking out. While it may be a nice spot for couples to spend a romantic weekend. If you are looking to party with a buddy or two I suggest you go elsewhere. The hotel is exactly what you would expect from a W. I would give the hotel another shot in the future. Again, the staff is awesome!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank JmaxBod
Reviewed 23 September 2010

This is one beautiful hotel with a very impressive presentation on the lobby. The rooms are very beautifully decorated and grounds are perfect including the pool and beach. But for the price you pay it don't delivers on service. Three calls from the room for the ice bucket and one hour later it came. Very poor bartender at the main pool who couldn't mash and mix a decent mojito nor a madras. Don't go for the mix drinks stick to beer and wine. And the wait for them at pool for them went beyond reasonable. Everybody from the staff kept apologizing because they were not ready for too many guest. Not good enough for the price we paid.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank FcoRodz
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I am born and raise Puertorrican and I live in San Juan , Puerto Rico...I took a 20min Flight from Isla grande Airport quick but damn they raise the Prices $125 Round Trip. never take de Ferry is HELL!
Anyways I love the W and this one is Incredible, love the Decor the music by the pool is perfect.
Mix Restaurant wasnt so good...go to Next Course For Dinner is Great!
room 434 awesome view! and the Staff super Nice....they speak perfect english and they go the Extra Mile...
SPACHAKRA was very gooood worth every penny....

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
#6 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!