“Relaxed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Trade Winds Guesthouse
Ranked #14 of 32 Isla de Vieques B&B and Inns
Hartford, Connecticut
“Relaxed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Our check-in was fine-once we recovered from the cab ride over. The woman at the desk/in the shop was very helpful. Our room, one, was close to the kitchen but it wasn't a problem. The room had a door opening onto a small, shared patio area, no window but all four of us slept great. The room was clean and had a mini-fridge. The breakfast was average. The location across from the boardwalk in Esperanza was amazing!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

Our room was on the ground floor close to the kitchen. It was small, had a window but we could not open it. Breakfast just average and service was always in a funny mood, close to impolite. I found the place overpriced for the quality, like almost everything in Vieques. No hint of local culture, everything was absolutely American.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Isla de Vieques hotels

oc-tom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

It's hard to seperate our Trade Winds experience, from our Vieques experience, because everything blended so well together. The Trade Winds was a perfect complement to the laid back, non commercialized, no hype lifestyle of Esperanza Vieques. The room was small, but clean, and the best beds we have had in our latin america travels ( 6 different times). Our room didn't have windows, but had a great patio. The owners, Harry and Janet, were very welcoming and helpful, as were the rest of their staff. We highly recomend the Bio Bay package. Our dinner was one of the best we have ever had, and the Bio Bay was awesome. We also recomend renting a sea kayak and snorkel gear to check out Cayo de Afuera.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I've actually never written a bad review on Tripadvisor (and have only written 4 total), but my experience here was unpleasant enough that I had to write something.

I understand that you get what you pay for, and I was looking for super nice rooms or anything like that. But it doesn't cost extra to welcome your guests with a smile and treat them with respect while they are there.

We got neither.

While there were a number of less than friendly interactions, there was one incident that I thought was inexcusable. Basically, we had made our original reservations at another inn, but then decided to extend our trip by arriving one day earlier and stay one day later. Because our original inn could not accommodate those extra nights, I made a reservation for those two nights with Trade Winds.

Because I realized that the reservation was a little confusing (I was asking for a reservation for Thurs night and Sun night, but not the nights in the middle), I made sure to be extremely clear in my initial email the nights that we were requesting. I then confirmed the two nights over the phone when I gave my credit card information. When we arrived Thurs night, I again confirmed our reservation to the (not-so-welcoming) staff who checked us in. And again, when we checked out on Friday morning and returned our keys, we confirmed that we were coming back on Sunday evening with the front desk.

Instead, Saturday while at the beach, we received a number of voice messages from Harry from Trade Winds who was confused why about where we were and whether we were coming back. Immediately upon returning from the beach a few hours later, I stopped in to clarify again our reservation and spoke directly to Harry, who informed me that he had cancelled our reservation for Sunday evening because he thought that we had simply left. He kept bringing up how confusing the situation was to him, and how he had lost two days of renting out our room, because he thought that we were staying there for the middle two nights. (There were a few other confusing details that Harry mentioned, like the fact that there were two different names attached to our reservation, but don't they get that all the time with couple reservation?)

To be honest, I'm a pretty conflict-averse person, and even though I was slightly annoyed that he had cancelled our reservation without speaking with us first, once I was able to confirm that our room was still available for Sunday night, I honestly just wanted to leave and enjoy the remaining sunlight that day.

Harry however would not stop complaining about how confusing the reservation was in a way that made me feel really attacked - as if the confusion was my fault. I did my best to explain in my calmest voice possible how I had confirmed our reservation repeatedly to avoid this type of confusion. I offered to show him the original email. But he just would not let it go.

I finally tried to end the conversation by suggesting that he talk to his staff instead of with me about what went wrong. His response: "No, I don't need to have this conversation with my staff. I should be having this conversation with."

At that point, I was so frustrated and upset by the tone of his voice and what he was saying that I just walked out of the office without saying anything else. It just wasn't worth ruining a wonderful vacation by getting into a heated argument, and I could feel myself starting to get pretty angry. A cocktail seemed like a much more enjoyable alternative at that point.

I understand that Harry was frustrated and confused and probably upset that he had lost two nights of rental income. However, once that that confusion was clarified, I don't understand why he kept questioning me in an aggressive tone about the situation. I also don't understand why he would continue to argue with a customer after I had explained what had happened, as opposed to investigate further with his staff to confirm my story first.

And at no point, did anyone apologize to us for cancelling our reservation without even speaking with us first. No one offered us a complimentary cocktail for the inconvenience that this caused. Nothing.

In the end, it wasn't a huge deal. But I was somewhat upset by it the rest of the evening, and I felt pretty uncomfortable when we had to return to Trade Winds Sunday evening to stay. For a three day getaway in Vieques, I would rather have enjoyed my time in carefree relaxation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JW5555
Brentwood, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My husband and I recently spent several days on the island of Vieques. The first evening we went to the Trafe Winds for dinner, but had no reservation. We were seated promptly and told by our server that one of the specials that night was Flounder stuffed with spinach and goat cheese. We each decided to order it and have to say found it to be awesome. I can honestly say it is one of the best fish dinners I've had in my life. If you are in Esperanza and want great food at a very reasonable price this is th place to go. You won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saltbox513
chicago, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

This hotel is not the W, so don't expect to see any cabana boys at the pool. Or a pool for that matter. It has tile floors and cheaply decorated rooms, exactly like it should being directly across the street from the ocean and the middle of the strip in Esperanza. The upstairs restaurant is decent and conveniently has WiFi. You can walk to several bars along the strip, or go across the street to rent a scooter if you want to go further. It's well known on the island, so if you are taking a cab anywhere, you won't need to give an address or directions. Got there after the front desk had closed, but the bartender stayed until we could come pick up the key. Had a small plumbing problem, but they called in a plumber right away, who fixed our toilet, then drove us to the store and the beach. Everyone is so friendly and responsive! Will stay here again without question.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank redbrooke
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

The "malecon" is the best place to stay, is where most of the bars and restaurants are. Trade Winds is a cozy place, nothing fancy, a perfect place for island vacation. Everybody was friendly and helpful. Defenitely I would stay here again my next time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple