“Such a nice hotel ...”

Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My first visit to the Blue Horizon Boutique Resort was on January 2012.

I stayed there with my family. The Blue Horizon it all about the resort's name, a great view of the blue sky and sea can be enjoyed from the atrium lobby, from the lounge chairs at the infinity pool (you should see it at night, the whole floor lights up like stars in the sky) or even closer by the beach which is a 2 minute walk. One thing you'll quickly notice, I don't know why, is the lack of mosquitos around, this compared to another highly priced resort at the island where I had to leave since I was not let alone for a minute after sunset by all kind of weird flying insects..., anyway ..., none of that experienced at the BH !

Dinner was excellent, Chef Xandra creations are awesome, very original, second to none!. As a special request we had a family style meal, the Chef gracefully prepared lobster for us, which was not part of their regular menu at that time, I think it is now. Adam, our bartender was also great, pleasing my family with all their request. Yamil, the Guest Service Host and his staff went "the whole nine yards" just to make us feel like home.

Vieques have so many beautiful beaches and a lot of history to show; locals are friendly.

For those who like to play tennis at the resort's property they have 2 well cared Omni tennis courts and a gym.

After my first visit on January to the Blue Horizon, I try to come back for a weekend a least every 2 or 3 months when "I need to disappear" just to relax, to rev down...

I have tried several local restaurants but, in my opinion, nothing compares to Carambola's (BH's restaurant name) delicious breakfasts, the place is packed on Sunday mornings, so either be there early or make sure to call and reserve your spot which is also a good idea for lunch and dinner there !!!

I believe my next visit, if all goes well for me, will be at the end of this month, I can’t wait to be there. Such a nice hotel ...

Cheers !

Room Tip: Actually, is a very quiet place, everywhere is fine ...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JCaste

Dear JCaste,
Thank you for your lovely review. We appreciate our guests reviews and use them often. We specially appreciate your feedbacks about our Staff and in-house Restaurant.
Thanks again and we look forward to continue to provide excellent service and quality dining options. Until your next visit!
Best,

Reviewed 11 June 2012

A wonderful place away from the craziness of San Juan - a very special, and peaceful place. Forget the W, this is where to stay in PR. Was here for one night out of a weeks PR stay - should have stayed 6 nights here & 1 in SJuan. Be sure to have one of Adam's coconut mojitos - you won't regret it!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank imaginlight
Reviewed 11 June 2012

It was a way too brief stay at this beautiful little resort one night in May that we fell in love with this island, the beautiful resort, the people in it and each other all over again!
What an enchanted little resort. Our room was Esperanza, name like the fishing village just 5-minutes away. The room is airy, comfortable, spacious, comfy bed, clean with a private lanai with chairs and an amazing ocean view. Steps away from the path down to the water, water shoes required. The room only have a shower, no bath tub but we didn't mind. Rooms have AC which I found to be a must, the nights we stayed here were rather hot and humidity was quite high. I also really appreciated the fact that there was no telephone in the room.
We’d decided to stay here after dining at Carambola Restaurant which is our favorite in Vieques.
This resort has everything you should want and need while visiting Vieques. There is a Restaurant, Bar, Pool, Tennis and a work-out room with free weights (just need a treadmill to be perfect for me), ice machine, lots of land with ocean views. We had to force ourselves to leave and explore the beautiful island and the many beaches. We found ourselves looking forward to the return to our home away from home to enjoy the awesome cocktails by the pool before sunset.
There were never crowds at this hotel which I found a little strange for having the Best Restaurant on the island and the best bar. But at the same time, this made our experience more enchanted and intimate. Adam served great drinks and is very attentive at the restaurant. Jamiel, Jeannette and the front desk staff were warm and went over and beyond to make us feel at home and to assist us with anything we needed or wanted to do in Vieques. Always smiling and ready to help.
Thank you Blue Horizon, we’ll be back!
Alfonso and Juliette

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are more spacious and airy. The private lanai are comfy and private.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alfonso C
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This is a wonderful place, nicely secluded and landscaped, but people like me who prefer peace and quiet to background music should be warned that if you're seated in the common areas (the dining room and atrium) you'll always hear music coming from the dining room and bar area. I wasn't shy about asking them to turn it down, but not everyone will want to put themselves in that position. If I come to the Caribbean I'm looking to relax with a book and the sound of the ocean and breeze and birds and lizards, not the sound of Peter Tosh and smooth jazz from the bar. Also some guests were cranking up pop songs from iPod speakers at the pool. The most wonderful thing about Blue Horizon is the peaceful, secluded location, away from the main strip in Esperanza, so why should I have to listen to Huey Lewis being cranked up at the pool?
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, especially Adam, an all-purpose bartender, waiter, manager, and travel advisor. The restaurant is a bit pricey (entrees in 23-30 range) but excellent; we especially liked the ceviche and the tamarind-flavored churrasco. Breakfast is also expensive ($14 for fruit and yogurt, for instance) but lunch is a better deal, with good wraps, sandwiches, burgers, and so on.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhiloPerry

Dear PhiloPerry,
Thank your for your review. Your feed backs are appreciated.
The music playing has been specially chosen by our owner according to the views and vision of the theme he wishes to convey. The soothing sounds of river rock keep our mornings very mellow and peaceful. Come noon, the sounds of the islands as most of our guest are up and about the grounds, bar, restaurant or swimming pool. Happy Hour time from 4 to 6pm we play Classic Rock then followed by the cultural favorites, Salsa, Bachata & Merengue for the Evening times.
We're sad that our music choice was not of your liking, we're happy to comply with our guests request to turn down the music whenever possible.
Once again, we thank you for your review and we hare thrilled that you loved our staff, we pride ourselves in having some of the most talented staff on the island.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Stayed here two nights on a recent girls getaway weekend to puerto Rico. This place is breathtaking, the pool, the rooftop patio, and the cliffside. Loved our stay here coming back in the fall this time a couple trip. Staff was great, Adam was amazing, seek him out for island advise and the best food and drink recommendation, he won't dissapoint. Can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Flushing K

Dear FlushingK,
Thank you for your review, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and our staff. Thank you for sharing you wonderful experience, we sincerely appreciate it.
Look forward to welcoming you back in the fall.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2012

First trip to Vieques and so happy I picked this locaton for my first trip!!!
From the beginning it was an excellent experience. I was communicating with Yamil about staying there just a week before our stay since it was a last minute trip! He was so helpful with all the suggestions and ansewering my e-mails right away!
We arrived at the hotel earlier then expected we had no sleep because of a flight delay in New York so we just wanted to freshing up an start relaxing!! Yvette was so helpful and tried to get us checked in and to do just that. When we checked in we went to have breakfast at the thier bar were we met Adam the hotel manager /bartender/restaurant server and he is amazing at all his titles!! After our great breakfast we were able to go to the room AURORA! We stayed in a standared room but nothing standard about it was just what I was looking for romantic, comfortable. The room had 2 beach chairs a cooler for drink, cooler for ice for when you go to the beach. We ended up just going out for a little bit and coming back to the hotel and hang out by the pool and have cocktails and nap by the pool. Sometimes you forget there are other guest at this hotel other than seeing them in the morning or maybe by the pool you would think you are the only ones there.
The views were breath taking after a long day we sat by the white chairs with a cocktail and listened to the ocean. We then went back to the room to call it a night! This is the first night that I had slept straight thru for 8 to 9 hours in a very long time!
We had dinner at the hotel the second night it was wonderful ! All I regreat is that I did not stay the extra night! I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anieram
Reviewed 22 May 2012

During a 5-day trip to Puerto Rico with a couple of friends, my first three days were spent at the Blue Horizon Boutique Resort. It was a perfect beginning to a perfect trip!

The resort has nice rooms, a beautiful pool, and is close to restaurants, bars and secluded beaches. The resort offered delicious food and an excellent and friendly staff. I have to say my favorite person was Adam, the Resort Manager. He was awesome! We never had to wait to eat at the restaurant, always found chairs at the pool and more importantly, drinks were served pretty quickly at the bar. My experience was great and I'd definitely recommend this place if you are looking to stay in the area for a few days.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Neptune Room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Club Seabourne
Club Seabourne
#1 of 4 in Culebra

Been to Blue Horizon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!