“Gorgeous Hotel In Stunning, Romantic Setting With Superb Service”

Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous Hotel In Stunning, Romantic Setting With Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is set in beautiful surroundings, with wild horses roaming around and an incredible view over the infinity pool across to the sea. My only regret is that I came here alone, as I can imagine few more romantic settings. I love walking and so did not mind that it is a 15 or 20 minute walk to the malecon in Esperanza but in any case I cannot think it can be too expansive a cab journey.

I have seen complaints about the service but I can only report on my experience, namely that I received exceptional service. I had several email exchanges before I arrived with the hotel, with all my questions answered promptly. I was able to leave my bags at reception when I arrived hours before check-in and was allowed to stay on and use the facilities once I had checked out. I would love to come back one day, when I am not all alone!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank acwf2973

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had spent a few days at The Blue Horizon Boutique Hotel with our kids when they were still in college (probably 8 years ago) and spent a wonderfull time there. The infinity pool, the views... we wanted to come back to enjoy the experience as a couple but, boy, have we been disappointed by this not a "boutique hotel" anymore!

We booked the Honeymoon suite. Thank God this was not our honeymoon because it would have ruined it! The doors need to be painted, the floors and bathroom were not clean, the carpets are stained and SUPER MEGA DIRTY, the bed makes all kind of noises even when you sit on it! The drawers are all broken.
The first day they made the bed but did not bring any toiletries, toilet paper or coffee bags. The second day, when we came back from the beach at 5:30pm, we found out the room had not been done and there was no toilet paper at all. I went to the office and told the girl that was there with a little kid that we needed service. She told me it was our fault because we had left the Do Nor Disturb sign hanging from the door. I asked her if the maid could read English because we left the sign on the SERVICE PLEASE side. She said that it was late because the maid had already left, at 5:30pm? I asked to talk to the manager and after a long wait she came back and told me that the manager was in a meeting. I requested to see the manager as soon as the meeting was over. I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE MANAGER TO GET BACK TO US! The girl did not even bring toilet paper to our room. When we left at 7:00pm for dinner at a nearby restaurant they finally made the bed and brought the toilet paper, THEY NEVER CLEANED THE ROOM! If you want your marriage to last, DON'T SPEND YOUR HONEYMOON IN THIS HOTEL! IT IS SINKING!

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank astridaponte1957
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I travelled here recently with my wife and arrived to the island on the last ferry of the evening, arriving at the hotel at 10pm, after 16hours of multi-mode travel. When we arrived the whole resort was deserted with no-one to be found in the bar we had to jump a gate to get into the accommodation area and found another guest who told us the staff had all left 2 hours earlier. I rang the booking agent and numbers for the hotel, spending 70dollars of my phone credit, with no reply. Luckily we had taken a business card for a friendly local taxi and called here who kindly returned and phone a number of the staff to finally get hold of someone to come and let us in. All in all we waited for over 1 1/2 hours after travelling all day and when the staff eventually turned up they offered no apology. This was the same reaction that we received the following day, they said that they had emailed us to say that the keys would be at the bar and that we didnt reply, bearing in mind that email was sent at 7.30p.m, even though i emailed them 6 days previous telling them our arrival time.. When i was angry the staff went onto laugh under their breath, we were there for 3 days and our room wasnt cleaned for they entire time even though we asked twice and on the final night we decided to eat in the relatively expensive restaurant, i got the lobster risotto and regretfully spent the entire night on the toilet to spare you anymore details. All in all a beautiful setting its a shame that the staff and food do not live up to it!!!!

3 Thank Gerard G
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you want to stay at just another nice hotel that could be anywhere then by all means stay at the W Hotel. If you want a unique and authentic stay in Vieques than look no further than the Blue Horizon Boutique Resort. This resort is hidden away from the main road, past the tennis courts and the wild horses that roam here freely. Open the front gate into paradise. Imagine a tropical resort with open-air common spaces and a friendly bar to relax along with an infinity pool that appears to stretch right into the ocean. This place is the epitome of rest and relaxing surrounded by Vieques beauty. Be advised that this resort is not designed with children in mind- perfect place to go for peace and quiet. You can hike from the resort to one of the many gorgeous beaches that Vieques is known for or rent a Jeep to discover the many hidden ones. I recommend hiking or hitting the resort gym because the on-site Carambola restaurant is so good that you can bet that you will be eating more than you expected (see separate review on this and Chef Bayrex). I cannot wait to come back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Judith cottage which was nice; secluded and quiet. All 10 cottages are unique and h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nancychic
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Loved the Blue Horizon. My girlfriend and I spent one night here for our stay in Vieques and fell in love with the place. Not only was the infinity pool beautiful, the amazing views and decorated room were incredible.

Jeanette, the hotel supervisor was friendly, informative and did everything to ensure our stay was everything we dreamed and more. She set us up with a fun horseback riding tour where we rode across the beach at sunset, recommended all the best restaurants and even helped me pull off a great surprise for my girlfriend when we arrived back at the resort. (Champagne, fruit platter and rose petals on the bed). Our room was beautiful and upon arrival she even upgraded our room to the house suite, a gorgeous king bed with separate bathroom and his and her sinks.

Her brother-in-law, Edgar was also our designated driver the entire time we were on the island. We could call him for rides to Caracas beach, to the ATM, local mart, even dinner. He was prompt, courteous and very friendly.

The food was delicious at the restaurant with reasonable pricing and we had an amazing time in the infinity pool at night gazing up at the stars.

There were no kids, (definitely a plus) when you consider many resorts have children running around, acting out and/or crying. Jasmine, the hotel bartender was also very sweet, making us two pina colodas upon arrival.

We will definitely be returning to the Blue Horizon, for its immaculate views, impeccable service, and country-ranch feel. (My texan girlfriend loved the wild horses who ran among the front of the resort. Thank you Jeanette for making our stay so incredible, you are the best!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here two nights for our honeymoon. Honestly, the view and the pool were the only part worth anything. Service was lacking. Website advertises massages which were not available/not followed up on. Were told we could pay for laundry service. Laundry was not picked up after 2 requests. All of Vieques beautiful so don't waste your money just because the view at this place is nice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katie T
Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Let me first say that the staff at the resort was fantastic. They were warm and polite to us. This place has the best views in Vieques as far as accommodations are concerned. If you want to go to the W. Probably just skip Vieques altogether. This is a non-commercialized, low key, yet tourist friendly destination in the Caribbean.

The Great:
The views, specifically in Mariana (Room 103)
The service
Close to Esperanza

The Good:
Our stay included breakfast which was good and they served it pretty quickly.
Our room was a bungalow and was just perfect for an Island stay.

The Not so good:
We heard about the owner from some of the locals and it finally clicked...This place is probably some tax write off for an uber-rich guy who will dump it in 5 years. The resort really needs an upgrade. Locks on doors are broken, window shutters broken, faded lounging chairs...ect. The bar was completely empty...because they charge way too much. I felt really bad for the people who worked there but couldn't stomach paying 3x for a beer or mixed drink.

I spent more time on my "not so good" but have no regrets for our honeymoon stay. Its definitely better then the other resorts/hotels. The island people are amazing and its probably the most relaxed I've felt in my adult life. If Blue Horizon had someone in charge who cared, this would be a boutique resort. Its definitely not as is today is is overpriced. My recommendation would be to check Airbnb and VRBO. We made some friends who rented a whole house with car for 100$ less per night across from the beach next to Esperanza.

Room Tip: Book on Airbnb or VRBO...sorry. I hate to say that because I loved the people who worked here but it...
1 Thank Christopherabair
El Blok Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Blue Horizon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!