“Super quite place with amazing views”

Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
“Super quite place with amazing views”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a full-service resort....this is not the place for you. If you want peace and quite with amazing views where you can literally do nothing and everything, stay here!
Pros:
Super quite
No kids
Miles of deserted beautiful beaches
Only 10 room complex so you don't have a 100 rules of what you can or cannot do.
Unbeatable views
Jeanette was amazing

Cons:
Rooms need some love but completely comfortable.
No refrigerators

Advice:
If you are seeking luxury travel this is not the place for you. The island isn't glamorous, its a tropical island. If you want a corporate resort feel like Las Vegas, stay at the W.
Get a bottle of wine and sit out on the lawn chairs at night.
Rent a car and go to Red Beach, Sun Beach and the other amazing beaches on the island.
Relax.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Minden, Nevada
Reviewed 13 August 2014

dirty bathrooms , no hot water, few towels. Don't clean rooms in a timely manner..we went one whole day without the use of our room! Then they lied by telling us we would be compensated. Same menu in all 3 spots they call restaurants...staff just stands around doing nothing > I would have rather stayed in my car. Please people Vieques is a very nice place but Stay at the W for a great experience..because this place is a Dump

1 Thank JDMS1945
Minden, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived about 10:30 in the morning and went to check in and we were told that our room was not ready and that we had to wait for it to be compleated, they then told us that we could leave our luggage there at the little office and visit the resort! We did and found nothing to do, yes there is a pool but with our bathing suits in the suitcases what can we do! We walked tothe beach, but there is a fence to keep you from going down to the rocky cliff side! So we now decided it is 11:00 am so lts go have an early lunch, well NO Way! They do not surve lunch until 12:00, so we said we were told there are 3 restaurants here, where are the other 2 and she told us oh they are all really the same one! You just go sit over there or over to that area!!! Like Hello is this for real, the same cook is cooking for all.

We decided to go ahead and have breakfast, I ordered a cup of coffee with cream, they brought me a Latae, so ok then I ordered Ham and Eggs, Oh my Gosh! I got two runny eggs, and 2 slices of cold cuts that was suppose to be ham, I had to ask for a piece of toast and that is just what I got 1 piece of toast with no butter on it! I was totally are you people for real and I am stuck in this place for 3 days! I asked for another coffee with milk again I got a Latae, then at the
end of the horrible breakfast that I could bairly eat they actually charged me for a 2 Lataes. that I never ordered, I only ordered coffee with milk or cream!

We walked about the property a lot of dead grass and nothing more to do, waited another hour and a half and then Thank God my cousin showed up to take us out and threw the island, our room was still not ready!

We returned around 6:00 that evening to shower so we could go out to dinner and guess what our room was not ready! We then walked around and found the girl that told us all would be ok and she then told us they were just finishing our room then and then finally saw our room for the first time! Well guess what it looked nothing like the advertisement that we had seen and none of the furniture matched and the bathroom OMG you did not want it to touch your body when you took a shower! OH yes I also forgot to mention there was no HOT Water! It was AWFUL! No litle refrigerator or water, you had to go to store to buy bottled water and guess what if you didn't have a car to bad because the walk was over 1/2 mile!

As we go on to the next day we leave the resort about 10:30 again and go out to explore more of the island and guess what we return at 5:00 to get ready to go out to dinner and they stil have not cleaned our room again! We again go and try to find the Mgr, joke and she tells me that well they only had one girl cleaning the rooms that day so mine still has to get done! We then decided
to go into the pool and then see how much longer they would be. We waited another hour it was past 6:00 when we got finally back into our room! We had to hurry and shower and get dressed because my cousin was coming to pick us up and take us to somewhere else nice on the island for dinner!

The next morning my husband wanted them to do something for us for all of this noncence and she told us that she already did, we said what and she said she had given us an up-grade because my husband is 6'2 that she had changed our room to this one because it had a king size bed!!!! Really and never told us this, and then she said that we never paid for breakfast on the second day!!! REALLY then why was my Credit Card charged and we signed on it! Totally nut's and Awfull would not recommend unless all you want to do is sit in your boaring room with no TV and stair at each other, nothing like what is shown in advertisement! Dont walk Run as Fast as you can!

5 Thank Frances S
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Beautiful place. The staff made us feel very welcome and the view was incredible. The private beach was also a plus. The food was pretty good and cocktails were awesome. I'd recommend this place, especially to couples looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I went to Blue Horizon for a short 4 days getaway to celebrate our 24th anniversary. The hotel was perfect and romantic. It is a charming Spanish styled old house that was remodeled and additional buildings built around it. We were told that what used to be the old house is now the area of the restaurant, which has louvered doors and very high ceiling (probably 12´ - 14´ high).

We stayed at a nice room, Aurora (Spanish word for Dawn) with sea view, which looks like a little house, since it also has a balcony with 2 chairs. From the gorgeous infinity pool you have an astonishing “blue horizon” sea view! Across the pool, there is a cliff in which the hotel had strategically placed some beach chairs from which you can relax to enjoy that view. It is also an adventure to walk to the beach by the short sand trail leading to it. All these hotel’s features help you getting a different sense than the one you get in any regular hotel, an authentic feeling of being in touch with nature.

Furthermore, the hotel is at a five (5) minutes drive to the esplanade (“malecón”) in Esperanza, where the night life takes place. In Vieques you feel like time came to a standstill. Blue Horizon and its surroundings help you getting that feeling even more. Viequenses are very nice and humble people. You would very much enjoy your stay.

We recommend that you rent a Jeep, so that you can travel the Island and discover its beaches. Access to some of those beaches is by dirt roads, hence the recommendation for a jeep and not any regular vehicle. Traveling those roads and reaching some secluded beaches was a tremendous adventure! Horses in almost every road are a picturesque view.

The hotel front desk manager Jeannette, as well as all its personnel, was very helpful and attentive to detail. If you go to Carambola (starfruit) Restaurant, Idalia and Chinita would take care of you, while you enjoy its exquisite food. At the bar, Jasmine, Carmen, Yaisa and Juan would prepare your favorite drink and even take it to you while you are taking a sun bath by the infinity pool. Since Blue Horizon has only 11 rooms or villas, during our stay we felt like millionaires at our private estate, surrounded by friendly yet discreet personnel! No wonder so many North Americans are making Vieques their home.

2 Thank Magaly R
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Blue Horizon Resort Hotel has the ingredients to be a five star choice. Beautiful property, location and pool. However, the total lack of professional management and customer care made the Blue Horizon an enormous disappointment.

At first, I passed off minor problems as attributable to business on a remote island – such as the room’s hairdryer blowing the fuse each time it is turned on. But there were too many problems to excuse. We had to ask twice to get a bar of soap for the shower. We asked twice for the hand soap and lotion to be refilled. There is no TV in the bungalow, which I thought was pretty cool, but there was also no Internet connectivity. Most people who spend $400 per night on a hotel are fairly dependent upon the Internet. At times there was no hot water in the bungalow (like when I wanted to shave). At other times, there was no water pressure (like when my wife wanted to take a shower). We found a previous guest’s phone charger and designer sunglasses on the floor in the room – an indication that the room is not cleaned, or these things would have been found before I found them. We had a fine breakfast here, but cancelled our dinner after waiting over one hour for salad and pasta - which never came. Seriously, over an hour for a salad and pasta to show up? And this was with a dinner reservation.

There are no “little things” that you expect at a top-tier resort. For example, at El Convento in San Juan, there was complimentary drinking water, coffee service, wine and cheese happy hour, fruit – little things that made you feel good. At Blue Horizon, at $400 per night, there was nothing – nothing. And there was not even a refrigerator in the bungalow in which to keep my own water or drinks chilled. The last day, they did not even replace the little coffee packet in our room.

All of this resulted in our spending as little time as possible at the resort. By the time we left, after four nights, we were uncomfortable interfacing with the staff at all.

The staff, while friendly, all seem to be local kids. I do not believe that they have a concept of reasonable expectations at a top-tier resort. This was compounded by the apparent lack of a professional resort manger. A terrible disappointment from what could be a spectacular resort. I cannot believe that the owner of this high-potential property has not seen fit to engage the services of a professional hotelier to make it actually work.

5 Thank Richard H
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed a week several months ago at the Blue Horizon. Views were beautiful; the food was great; the room was fantastic; and the staff went out of its way to make our stay pleasant and memorable. We went to unwind. Thus, a room with no phone and no TV was perfect. We rented a car but as little as we used it, we would probably have been better off using taxis. We will definitely vacation at the Blue Horizon again and recommend it to anyone with upscale tastes and looking for a ice quiet vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Club Seabourne
Club Seabourne
#1 of 4 in Culebra

Been to Blue Horizon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!