“Birthday getaway”

Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
“Birthday getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful grounds, great location near Esperanza, free parking. It is a boutique hotel so the registration is run by one person and the hours are very limited. The meals were expensive at the restaurants so we went to eat around the island instead. Got the ocean view queen which had a unobstructed view of ocean from bed. Very nice accommodations, but very rustic and dated. The ocean view king actually was blocked by the bushes from the pool. Oh, and lots of reviews talked about no running hot water, which we thought was an issue, but we figured it out. Turned out to be a wonderfully pressured warm shower. All in all, felt like "glamping." I would stay here again. The 24 hour infinity pool was beautiful and warm.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank grateful_traveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I don't know what bug needs to be surgically removed from the people that gave this place a bad review! If you are looking for The Ritz Carlton this ain t it!
If you DON'T want a TV!
If you DON'T want a phone!
If you DON'T want a steel drum band playing annoying music in the background!
Then this IS your place.
If you want a gorgeous view and feel like you rented a house with servants by yourself. This is the place. The staff is very cordial, breakfast is fine I would eat in town , looking to get away I would definitely stay here again!

6 Thank stan n
Atascadero, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

This place is nice for Vieques but for a "boutique" hotel it was very much lacking. We checked in around 7pm after over 20 hours of traveling...we were exhausted. The bed hadn't been made in our room...just a pile of sheets and blankets. We also had less than half a roll of toilet paper...that was gone by morning with no extras stocked in the room. Also, the privacy and views are amazing.

But, the staff here seem to hate their jobs and hate tourists. I joined my husband at the bar one evening and had to wait over 15 minutes just for a glass of water. The server helped 2 other groups with drinks then went back to her cell phone. She put a glass of water down and walked away quickly...I basically had to shout across the bar that I wanted something else to drink. Getting a food menu seemed to be an inconvenience too.

We had appetizers there one night that were frozen and fried...nothing special. The 2 of us got breakfast one morning which cost $60...mine was very salty.

If you love slow, horrible service this is the place for you! If you want a nice trip I suggest staying elsewhere!

1 Thank Sara H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a full-service resort....this is not the place for you. If you want peace and quite with amazing views where you can literally do nothing and everything, stay here!
Pros:
Super quite
No kids
Miles of deserted beautiful beaches
Only 10 room complex so you don't have a 100 rules of what you can or cannot do.
Unbeatable views
Jeanette was amazing

Cons:
Rooms need some love but completely comfortable.
No refrigerators

Advice:
If you are seeking luxury travel this is not the place for you. The island isn't glamorous, its a tropical island. If you want a corporate resort feel like Las Vegas, stay at the W.
Get a bottle of wine and sit out on the lawn chairs at night.
Rent a car and go to Red Beach, Sun Beach and the other amazing beaches on the island.
Relax.

1 Thank Jeff W
Minden, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

dirty bathrooms , no hot water, few towels. Don't clean rooms in a timely manner..we went one whole day without the use of our room! Then they lied by telling us we would be compensated. Same menu in all 3 spots they call restaurants...staff just stands around doing nothing > I would have rather stayed in my car. Please people Vieques is a very nice place but Stay at the W for a great experience..because this place is a Dump

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JDMS1945
Minden, Nevada, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived about 10:30 in the morning and went to check in and we were told that our room was not ready and that we had to wait for it to be compleated, they then told us that we could leave our luggage there at the little office and visit the resort! We did and found nothing to do, yes there is a pool but with our bathing suits in the suitcases what can we do! We walked tothe beach, but there is a fence to keep you from going down to the rocky cliff side! So we now decided it is 11:00 am so lts go have an early lunch, well NO Way! They do not surve lunch until 12:00, so we said we were told there are 3 restaurants here, where are the other 2 and she told us oh they are all really the same one! You just go sit over there or over to that area!!! Like Hello is this for real, the same cook is cooking for all.

We decided to go ahead and have breakfast, I ordered a cup of coffee with cream, they brought me a Latae, so ok then I ordered Ham and Eggs, Oh my Gosh! I got two runny eggs, and 2 slices of cold cuts that was suppose to be ham, I had to ask for a piece of toast and that is just what I got 1 piece of toast with no butter on it! I was totally are you people for real and I am stuck in this place for 3 days! I asked for another coffee with milk again I got a Latae, then at the
end of the horrible breakfast that I could bairly eat they actually charged me for a 2 Lataes. that I never ordered, I only ordered coffee with milk or cream!

We walked about the property a lot of dead grass and nothing more to do, waited another hour and a half and then Thank God my cousin showed up to take us out and threw the island, our room was still not ready!

We returned around 6:00 that evening to shower so we could go out to dinner and guess what our room was not ready! We then walked around and found the girl that told us all would be ok and she then told us they were just finishing our room then and then finally saw our room for the first time! Well guess what it looked nothing like the advertisement that we had seen and none of the furniture matched and the bathroom OMG you did not want it to touch your body when you took a shower! OH yes I also forgot to mention there was no HOT Water! It was AWFUL! No litle refrigerator or water, you had to go to store to buy bottled water and guess what if you didn't have a car to bad because the walk was over 1/2 mile!

As we go on to the next day we leave the resort about 10:30 again and go out to explore more of the island and guess what we return at 5:00 to get ready to go out to dinner and they stil have not cleaned our room again! We again go and try to find the Mgr, joke and she tells me that well they only had one girl cleaning the rooms that day so mine still has to get done! We then decided
to go into the pool and then see how much longer they would be. We waited another hour it was past 6:00 when we got finally back into our room! We had to hurry and shower and get dressed because my cousin was coming to pick us up and take us to somewhere else nice on the island for dinner!

The next morning my husband wanted them to do something for us for all of this noncence and she told us that she already did, we said what and she said she had given us an up-grade because my husband is 6'2 that she had changed our room to this one because it had a king size bed!!!! Really and never told us this, and then she said that we never paid for breakfast on the second day!!! REALLY then why was my Credit Card charged and we signed on it! Totally nut's and Awfull would not recommend unless all you want to do is sit in your boaring room with no TV and stair at each other, nothing like what is shown in advertisement! Dont walk Run as Fast as you can!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Frances S
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Beautiful place. The staff made us feel very welcome and the view was incredible. The private beach was also a plus. The food was pretty good and cocktails were awesome. I'd recommend this place, especially to couples looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
El Blok Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Blue Horizon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!