“best place to stay on the island”

Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Philadelphia
“best place to stay on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

I stayed at the Inn on the Blue Horizon for four nights with my boyfriend. I am soo happy I picked this place. The rooms are charming with breathtaking views. The staff was amazing! They were always willing to help in any way possible. The bartenders and chefs there were awesome (Adam, Charlie, Matt) and were always more than willing to help us with any questions about things to do and places to go on the island. And the food and drinks were soo good! We wanted to sample tastes from all over the island but always found ourselves wanting to eat at the Inn because the food was amazing- you have to try the lobster omelet and the dates wrapped in bacon. There is a really nice infinity pool and the grounds were soo pretty. I never wanted to leave. I can not say enough about how accomodating the staff was to everyone. If you are looking for somewhere to stay on the island this is the place.
So a couple of quick tips:
Rent a jeep and explore the island yourself. There are tons of secluded beaches to find- green beach was our favorite with good snorkeling. You can do the biobay on your own- drive down at night and bring water shoes and jump in- amazing and a must do! Also try the Next Course- really nice restaurant. Also Esperanza beach has great snorkeling- rent a kayak and paddle to the island straight out from the beach with your snorkel gear. You can bring a cooler and make a day of it on the little island. We snorkeled there all day and had a blast.
The island is soo much fun and people are really nice. Very laid- back atmosphere. I stayed last three nights of vacation in San Juan and wished I would have spend whole vacation at Vieques. So have a blast and stay at the Inn on the Blue Horizon. And Adam sorry again about the pink float! Miss u guys!
Cathy (L W)

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

My first time in Vieques. I was not expecting the perfect vacation, The morning started with graceful music and the charm of the Inn. We had the local fruit, fresh sqeezed orange juice and the Chef, Matthew Murphy came out and presented us with local banannas glazed with honey from the local beekeeper.
We played tennis at the courts on the grounds , very nice. The beach a little difficult to hike down to but they tell us they are fixing the route. The evening was topped off with a six course meal from Chef Murphy where your tastebuds could not decide which course you savored the most. Calamari, cod cakes, salmon, risotto, great wine and more all cooked to excellence testing your resolve to ever leave Vieques-- or for that matter-leave the Chef.so far away from home. If you want to get away from it all, with vistas to soothe the city beast, this is the place. Leave the television at home. ,

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

My partner and I stayed in the beautiful "Esperanza" bungalow overlooking the ocean. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by two attractive, sweet front desk gentlemen. The grounds of the hotel are BREATHTAKING. It's the most beautifully landscaped, lush place. There is calming spa-like music playing, and the staff are so sweet and welcoming!

OUR ROOM: Air conditioned- CLEAN, comfortable and a perfect ocean view. They have copies of loney planet and other puerto rico travel guides,as well as coffee maker, ice bucket, ironing board and iron, bug spray,and even a little ice chest to bring to the beach! Each bungalow has it's own porch with two nice white wooden chairs to relax on.
The staff: Adam, the bartender and one of the managers was AMAZING. Also, the Chef Matt was an incredible and generous cook.

Both Matt and Adam pampered us and literally made us feel like princesses for our whole stay. They were kind enough to spoil us with complimentary dessert, or little samplings of this or that, JUST BECAUSE! They both went out of their way to recommend places to stay and things to do in other parts of Puerto Rico as well, and they told us how to get to all their favorite local beaches in Vieques. I cannot stress enough how incredible and warm the entire staff is at this place. I was SO sad to leave. After chatting with Adam and Matt, I realized both of them have extensive experience in fine dining and hospitality, which is why the service was so smooth and genuine.
The property: GORGEOUS. It was so calming there. They also have an INCREDIBLE infinity pool that overlooks the ocean...and it's open 24 hours! It's a small boutique hotel with i think 6 bungalows and a few other rooms, so it makes for a very private, pampered experience. You dont have to worry about huge families with screaming children and loud obnoxious people. This place is truly romantic. I'll always remember how beautiful it was to swim in that beautiful pool at night and listen to the ocean that was RIGHT THERE!

I read some insanely strange posts from other people who had negative things to say, i was SHOCKED. I mean, I literally can't believe them, maybe they stayed at some OTHER place?? It's the exact OPPOSITE experience we had. When we arrived on April 25 2010, Adam and Matt had only been there for a few months, because they said the owner made some HUGE changes and brought in a whole new staff from NYC (Matt the chef) and San Juan (Adam who runs a few other hotels owned by the same guys who owns the Inn at The Blue Horizon)...so they apparently came in and worked their magic!!! I had never been there before the new staff, but al I know is that THIS PLACE IS HEAVEN, I can't wait to go back!!!!!!! Very romantic. Great food. Great Folks.

*also TOTALLY GAY FRIENDLY which is VERY important to me when traveling. We felt so safe.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

This is a non-chain inn with all the charm but none of the crowds or attitude of a Four Seasons or W. There are only 11 or 12 rooms, and when we were there only 3 or 4 were occupied. It is a physically attractive facility, low-key Caribbean. It has what you need, but only what you need, if you are looking for relaxation in a Caribbean locale. The staff is small, and most seem to do everything, but they do it very well. No daily frustration with everyone on "island time." The rooms are cozy, the bath suites just fine. There is a common room with sofas and chairs that looks out onto the very nice swimming pool and the sea beyond. Wifi throughout. It is on a large property, no other properties in view. A n easy walk into Esperanza if you don't want to drive. Just lovely. I would LOVE it at $250 a night, but it is not overpriced for Caribbean digs. I highly recommend it, unless you are Class A and plan to stay that way on vacation. Adam the bartender is great, as are Shane, the owner, Matt the chef and all the others we met. PS: beaches in Vieques are unparalleled, and unoccupied.

Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

My husband and I traveled to Vieques and chose The Inn on the Blue Horizon because of the small , "off the beaten trail" nature of the hotel. It is all of that and more. The grounds are so gorgeous with wild horses grazing everywhere. I was a bit concerned because they drink their water from the pool! Yes, one is sunning by the pool and the horses come up to drink! I am not sure if this is healthy for the horses, but it was certainly unique to be a part of. There are cool Adirondack style chairs situated right over the cliffs looking out on the beautiful Caribbean. There really is not a beach right at the hotel but that is okay because you want to take your car or moped to all the many gorgeous beaches around the island. I suggest "secret beach." It was truly a "corona commercial." The rooms at Blue Horizon are simple but clean. I was a little taken aback in the bathroom where the closet is. I opened up the closet to hang up all the sundresses I didn't need and there were several cans of raid and insect killer. This had me thinking there might be a problem...I can't sleep when I think there are bugs to contend with in the middle of the night! However, I never saw one. The rooms are a short walk from the main, open air structure, of the hotel where the restaurant is. I think it would be nice to provide the guests with water bottles in the room. It is such a small thing and it is not an inexpensive hotel. Apparently there is a new chef and I had one of the best fish dishes I have truly ever had! It was pan seared salmon with local grapefruit, mint, and oranges. Fabulous! The bar hours are a little off. If you want a drink in the middle of the day, forget it. The bar doesn't open until 4. However, you are less than a mile from Esperanza and you can go into town to one of the many bar/restaurants. All in all, Inn on the Blue Horizon was a real winner for my husband and me. It is a little pricey, so I don't know if we could afford to stay for a week but it's a real treat for a few days. I left my moblie phone there and didn't realize until we were in San Juan. Yamil , in concierge, was so wonderful. He put my phone on a flight and sent it to the VAL ticket counter at the Isle Grande airport. Many thanks for that! Vieques is a real treasure. Enjoy!

atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

Positive points: Beautiful view with some charm to it. Love the wild horses. Breakfast was great and worth the money.
Negative points: Room was very very basic for the price so don't expect too much. Housekeeping needs improvement. The hotel's ground and surrounding areas were dirty when we were there. Dinner was too pricey but not good. You can find many great restaurants in town.
We love Vieques but will try a diffrent hotel next time. Don't think it worth the money.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
brooklyn, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful time at Inn on the Blue Horizon. The staff was always friendly and accommodating. We had an amazing view from our casita porch of the ocean and the stars. The horses roaming the property only added to the charm. It really felt like we were staying at a friend's villa instead of a hotel. The infinity pool was to die for and we happily spent our time before and after the beach there. We didn't mind that the bar and restaurant weren't always open as it encouraged us to explore the island which was very rewarding. We will certainly return!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
El Blok Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Blue Horizon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!