Hix Island House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
US$213
US$180
Hacienda Tamarindo(Isla de Vieques)
US$182
US$157
Travelocity
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
Bravo Beach Hotel(Isla de Vieques)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsmosquito netfresh breadcoffee beansevery morningbeach chairstree frogswheel drivefull kitchenfalling asleepwild horsessnorkeling gearcan't wait to go backrental carsan juanloftsolarisarchitecture
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 April 2012

we went for our honeymoon and it was great! beautiful yet simple architecture, funtional yet design oriented! an architects paradise! we were invited to the Casona for a cocktail for guests given by John Hix himself and his wife Neeva. They were very friendly and kind. This type of hotel is what Vieques needs! If you want something special, different, romantic and green, I definetely recomend it!

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank EMUarch
HixHouseGM, Manager at Hix Island House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Vieques and Puerto Rico certainly need more hotels like Hix. That's why we added 6 new rooms this year, in our new building Casa Solaris. Thanks for the great review, and come back soon!

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I know I don't. But this place sure gave my family a refresher. Hix is basically a bunch of shapes. Many descriptions of the hotel describe it as window-less, Tv-less, and mosquito-net-on-window-less. Not true, True, and not true, in that order. The are mosquito nets on the doors and windows.
When we got in, the manager gave us an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. This was awesome.
Ok so I got off track. There is a rather bleak description of the hotel on many guidebooks. I want to dispel all of your fears about this hotel. THIS IS THE MOST COMFORTABLE, MOST CONVENIENT HOTEL ON THE ISLAND. Don't let some disgruntled person tell you other wise
THe montra of the hotel is quiet lonlyness. So don't be surprised if your bed is made by some magical ghost hero maid. The Bread is delicious so make toast gallore.

Don't make the mistake we almost did. Come to The Hix Island House.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank LittleGIrl11
Reviewed 29 March 2012

OK so I stayed here and never got around to writing a review.

I think most reviewers have done an excellent job describing what this place offers and what it doesn't. Having stated that, I feel there are certain things that should be pointed out:

1. Kitchen utensils and other appliances should be clean and in decent condition
2. Rooms and particularly bathrooms should be clean and properly maintained
3. BBQ grills should be cleaned after the previous guest
4. Privacy is not an excuse to allow rooms to become filthy

Aside from the above mentioned the hotel does provide a very nice non A/C, tropical, candle light experience. We just wish it would have included the hotel side to it, were stuff is clean and well maintained and the toilet doesn't look or smell like one at a bar.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Plumbus
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Our experience here was pretty negative, but even if we hadn't had poor service I think we would have been disappointed. The pictures I saw on their website were, in my opinion, misleading; they show rooms that are much more clean and bright than what you actually get. In reality, the room we stayed in was dark for most of the day and there were lots of mosquitos. I also found a Tarantual under my shoes one morning, which I actually thought was pretty cool, but it scared the heck out of me.

Due to a flight delay, we were unable to make it to the island for our first night at Hix. We called ahead and were told that this would not be a problem and I was lead to believe that we would not be charged for missing that night. However, when we arrived, we were informed that there was "nothing they could do" and we would be charged. Fortunately, we were able to re-arrange our plans and ended up staying an extra night at no charge. So in the end, this part worked out fine and we appreciated the management's flexibility.

After checking in and showering, we noticed that the shower was not draining. The water backed up and flooded the entire room. We used a bunch of towels to clean up what we could, then stopped by the office to report the incident as we went out for the evening. They assured us that it would be taken care of right away. Great! When we returned almost 4 hours later, there were still towels and water all over the floor so I called the number for the manager, which is listed in every room. Nobody answered. We wanted to shower (we had done the biobay tour), but didn't want to flood everything again, so we went to bed and left it for the morning. When I talked to the front desk the next day, I was told that the shower was fixed, so I went to check it. Indeed, they had fixed the shower, but had not bothered to let us know and they had done nothing to clean up the mess throughout the room. We informed the front desk of this, but even when we returned at the end of the second day, the sopping towels were still in our room and there were more and more mosquitos from all the standing water.

The free bread is nice and we really liked that they provide some fruit and eggs every day, but these small luxuries do not make up for the inadequate service and poor room conditions. We picked this place BECAUSE we like eco-lodging in general, but for the price of these rooms I just expect more (better furniture, nicer kitchen equipment, better lighting, but most of all, better service). I understand that things go wrong, and that is fine, but I don't really want to hear excuses about it. Things do go wrong, and at a well organized, high-end establishment, the problem is taken care of right away and you can feel good about it. Hix House just isn't one of those places.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Summertravelers_05
HixHouseGM, General Manager at Hix Island House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Here are HIH we take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. You will be happy to know that as a result of your feedback, we have had a meeting with the housekeeping staff to make sure that special events like this are handled efficiently and thouroughly in the future.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We spent almost 2 weeks at Hix Island House and slept like babies the whole time. Waking each morning to a wide screen view (9 ft. x 22 ft.) of the tree tops and ocean beyond with the sun rising over the ocean. The rooms and associated private terraces are very large and fully open air, wherein that wide screen view is your non glazed window to the world. The non glazing is a bit weird at first as you keep wanting to close something across the opening or pull down hurricane shutters. Give it a day and you will come to love this open air concept.
We may have been the only guests who did the whole 2 weeks on good quality mountain bikes we reserved through Blackbeard Sports. We only saw 2 other people on bikes during our rides. Car drivers gave us lots of clearance and they drive quite slow. Bikes are not for the faint hearted though as Hix Island House is at the upper area of the mountain range that runs along the island and everything is pretty much down hill from there and a trek on the return.
We shopped daily for food with backpacks and bikes in either Isabelle II or in Esperanza. However if you do the same be prepared for the hill climbs of your life to get back to Hix. Most folks rent jeeps, but I don't think they enjoyed the beautiful pool at Hix as much as we did after our rides.
The breakfast supplies provided by Hix were excellent and a great start to the day.
Beaches we visited had no one on them and the one we found with people had just 24 people on a 2 km white sand beach.
Hats off to all at Hix for making ours a most memorable stay. We are definitively going back!
Wayne from Ottawa

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wayne M

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return!