“Hip, eco-friendly hideaway”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Evanston, Illinois
“Hip, eco-friendly hideaway”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Just got back from two relaxing nights with my husband at Hix Island House Hotel. We stayed in Matisse, a gorgeous top floor open-air room with an amazing rooftop deck, views of the hills and the ocean. Loved the secluded, hillside setting. Beautiful, tranquil, private (but with mobile and wifi access). Though the hotel is not on the water, it's a short drive to anywhere on the island, including beaches and restaurants. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
New York City
Reviewed 5 May 2013

As other reviews have noted, this place is not for everyone -- in some ways like high end luxury camping, since no air conditioning (but still cool and pleasant at night) and rooms are open to outside. BUT totally private and surrounded by forest, with great views from our room. Before coming, I was worried about mosquitoes since rooms are open, and if there is a mosquito within a hundred miles it usually finds me but for some reason (hotel claims the breeze through the room makes the difference...there is also a mosquito net above the bed) I wasn't bothered once during our 3 day stay. Peaceful and beautiful; I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TobyNewYorkCity
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We reserved the cassette room which is actually an extra room built as part of the owner's (Neeva and John) home. I believe it is the best room as it is large and has a nice clean small refrigerator and cook top and all kitchen items were clean and nice. You should understand that the concept is minimalist living - no cabinet doors, no AC, no heat, no glass windows, no sofa, no upholstered chairs etc. There are 13 acres to walk and hills to climb. The items provided for breakfast were fine and the fresh fruit was nice except for the day they seemed to run low of fruit nd eggs. The front desk clerk (Sarah Rose) did not want to get more eggs until I insisted and then refused to get more fruit after I recalled that it was also short when she brought some to other guests.
So in summary different guests like different places and this place is very different. We appreciated it especially in comparison to our first night at the Brave Beach Hotel.

2 Thank TravelingKeats
HixHouseGM, General Manager at Hix Island House, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
We try to keep our website updated with the most details possible, so that guests understand the concept of Hix Island House. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We just finished our 4-night (without kids!) stay at Hix Island House and really enjoyed our time there. When we arrived, we were welcomed by the lovely manager and she walked us up to our loft and showed us around. Indeed, as other reviews note, the kitchen refrigerator was stocked with items so that we could make breakfast the next morning, and there was also fresh fruit and a loaf of bread waiting for us (truth be told: the bread wasn't very good and actually took on the smell/taste of the plastic container in which is was stored. But this was the ONLY thing about the entire stay I was disappointed with). The room itself was incredibly private and quiet, and we had a lovely view of the pool below. The design of this hotel is superb: every feature is created to ensure privacy. We honestly felt like we had the place to ourselves the entire time we were there. We sat by the pool every morning (my wife swam 1.5 miles in the pool most mornings!) and when we returned to the pool in the afternoon after a wonderful day of beach hopping, we had the pool to ourselves again. For those travelers that are making decisions regarding where to stay (and considering the W), here's my thoughts: these two hotels are worlds apart. The W was filled with plastic people (pun intended), who have no intentions to get to know the island, its people, and the environment. Music is piped in and all meals are insanely expensive. However, if you want to get a "taste" of what the W is like, drive over there, tell the gate attendant you're there for dinner, and you can see what you are not missing. Though the views are lovely, the people that stay there kind of make your skin crawl. By sharp contrast, the people who stay at the Hix are lovely, laid back people who love the joys of really experiencing the island. We loved this place, and will be back again next year!

Room Tip: Definitely try to get one of the top floor lofts, as they have the best view and offer the most priv...
Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kmattocks
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at the rectangular house here in Nov 2012 for a couple of days and LOVED it. This is one of those places you can only love or hate - there is no middle ground. The place has soul. The rooms are very well designed, with the most basic shapes (rectangles, circles and triangles!), surfaces are just exposed concrete, there are no shutters or doors on windows and balconies, its one with the environment. Its especially great at night, when you feel the breeze blowing through the room and see trees ahead. They have a nice pool, and hammocks on the large green space. We borrowed a frisbee and some board games from the really friendly front office and hung out late afternoon outdoors.

Speaking of front office, Hix does not believe in having a restaurant or room service - it all adds to the unique experience. Its also really far away from the ferry dock or anywhere actually. We got in really late to the island from Puerto Rico, and had to get a cab to Hix. By then the staff had left for the day (!) and had put up a note on the office door with instructions on how to get to our room and where to find the key. It was hilarious and memorable.

Overall, we were really glad that we picked Hix over the W - it was a unique experience and we'll probably go back there in a few years to re-live this.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank radhika0505
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My husband and I fell in love with Hix house as soon as we saw their website. Thoughtful, modern design with an emphasis on functionality and the environment, a lush ground to explore, a swanky pool surrounded by palm trees, complete privacy, fresh bread, fruit, and coffee each morning of your stay? We were already sold before we even made it to Puerto Rico.

We loved Hix House and Vieques so much we extended our 3 night stay to 4 nights. The only complaint I have is that one of the rooms we stayed in, an older room, had some rusty kitchen equipment and seemed to be in need of a little freshening up. These are essentially outdoor spaces, so I understand the weather can take its toll on the structure and that is part of the "wabi sabi" design plan. That being the case, though, it wouldn't hurt to occasionally replace some of the kitchen items or the bedspread (which had a large hole in it) or do a little sprucing up. Also, our kitchen area had a fridge poking out right in front of the stove top so it was incredibly awkward to move around and cook. Maybe a little repositioning wouldn't hurt in this case (we were in one of the casa rectangular rooms).

My complaints aside, the house was an incredible experience and we plan on coming to stay again. In regards to the bugs/lizards I've heard mention of, we had very few problems with that at all. I think most people who comment on that must not understand how ecosystems work or have spent their entire lives in an air conditioned microcosm. :)

We had one little lizard in our room who never even came close enough to bother us and whom I found to be a charming companion. There are flies, but keep your food covered with the fruit basket net provided or in the fridge and you will have no problems. I didn't get a single mosquito bite in four days and we didn't need to use the net provided for the bed. The rooms are designed to allow for lovely breezes to flow through so I was never uncomfortably hot and I never felt stuffy.

We heard a lot of our neighbors closing their windows off at night. When I say "windows" I am referring to the large cutouts that are on both sides of the room. There is a garage door type looking metal roll down shade that closes the rooms off. These were only intended to be used as protection from hurricanes and ARE NOT MEANT TO BE CLOSED! If you close off your room you should just skip staying here altogether because you are basically undermining the sole purpose of Hix House . . . to be out with nature and in nature.

Plus, you will get out and stuffy if you close off your room. The breeze will not flow through and you will actually attract more bugs.

The sounds of wild horses, frogs, and birds woke us up every morning and one morning we woke up at 5:45 to watch the sun rise from our room while drinking our local coffee. It was one of my favorite experiences of our trip.

The ladies in the office are SUPER! Liz and Joanne helped us any time we needed a recommendation or had a concern and I often called them while in other parts of Vieques to request help. They were always willing to give advice or help us schedule anything we needed. Plus, they are fun to hang out with and talk to.

The pool is serene, there are hammocks to lay in. I fell asleep in the hammock next to a wild horse with a flowering tree above me. Um, where else are you going to have that experience? And did I mention the stars at night? I've never seen a clearer image of the cosmos. Truly sublime.

Seriously, do not miss out on Hix House!

2 Thank 556jenh
Chicago
Reviewed 15 April 2013

As others have stated, this may not be everyone's cup of tea but if you are looking to connect/reconnect with your family/wife/self I can think of no better place. Stark but at the same time with a weird kind of luxury. We have never stayed anywhere that gave us the serene satisfaction that Hix did. The staff is great, the provisions for your morning repast are awesome and in general the place is wonderfully mood altering. We liked this place so much we are going back for 6 nights less than 90 days from when we last stayed there. Trust me, we are a very middle class couple who have decided the splurge is totally worth it. The grounds are peaceful and soothing. Every day we looked forward to walking around and running into the horses that seem to love the place as much as we did. No TV, no computers (internet at the reception area) = BLISS. Not sure we could ever be islanders but for 3-7 days this is PARADISE! This is a piece of heaven.

Room Tip: Solaris 3 & 4 are wonderful!! Dual patios so you have both morning and evening sun.
2 Thank winemanK