“Calling it a hotel is a disservice”
Review of Hix Island House

Hix Island House
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Yarmouth, Maine
“Calling it a hotel is a disservice”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I can imagine that Hix Island House would not be everyone's cup of tea, but then neither are all-inclusive resorts. Simply put, this is the realize of a brilliant man's dream, a hotel whose simplicity and elegance belies the passion, thought, and creativity that made it possible. But, isn't that truth with works of art, that, ultimately, the highest is achievement can be a single, curved line that is simply beautiful, or a place to stay that becomes a part of its environment as it evolved there? Hix Island House is open to the world. The air and the sounds of the island -- night and day -- flow freely threw it. The showers are open air. We stayed at Casa Solaris, which is what I would recommend.

There are no organized events. The grounds are mostly natural, and hidden away in rough, natural setting. With open air, sometimes the mosquitos will come, but they didn't bother us (in March), and mosquito netting is provided for the bug averse. There is no restaurant, only fresh eggs, bread, and fruit stocked each day in a lovely kitchen (along with coffee). The bed was great, the shower hot and strong, and service friendly and intelligent. The pool is small, but perfectly set.

Room Tip: Casa Solaris is the newest, and is a gem.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David1225
HixHouseGM, General Manager at Hix Island House, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
We're blushing at your wonderful review. Thank you! Hope to see you again this winter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Hix Island House is the coolest experience ever. We actually ran into the architect while he was swimming laps at Sun Bay. He deliberately sited the hotel on a hill in the woods, far from the mosquitoes of the coastal lagoons. We stayed in Casa Solaris 2, which is completely open to the elements on one side and oriented to allow the trade winds to blow through from the East. Thus, not a single mosquito, and the thrilling experience of sleeping in the jungle, but with a delightfully modern, spacious loft apartment with a full kitchen, comfortable bed, plentiful storage, and stocked with breakfast treats! I can't imagine visiting Vieques and not staying at Hix.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank radabonzical
Thanks for the appreciation and kind words!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I just wrapped up a one week solo stay at Hix. It was my first trip to Vieques and I could not have dreamed up a better place to stay while on the island. I worked with Joanne to select the best loft for me (I ended up in Loft 5 in Rectangular). All the staff were incredibly helpful - they assisted in organizing activities while I was on the island, showed me where to find the best beaches, and were totally hands off when I was looking for solitude.

The room faced east so I was awakened by the sun each morning. I expected to need the mosquito netting, but found it unnecessary while the ceiling fan was running. Each morning, I got up and brewed my own coffee and made french toast with the fresh bread and eggs (replenished each evening). I attended yoga one morning with Jen (who also creates beautiful jewelry!) and loved the setting. As I departed to explore the island, I occasionally grabbed sodas and bottled water from the "honor bar" in the lobby. I also borrowed from the snorkel gear available for guests.

The outdoor shower was a particular favorite of mine - I could see the ocean and smell the flowers. At night, I loved showering under the stars.

I hope to return to Hix often!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hslomi
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Just got back from two relaxing nights with my husband at Hix Island House Hotel. We stayed in Matisse, a gorgeous top floor open-air room with an amazing rooftop deck, views of the hills and the ocean. Loved the secluded, hillside setting. Beautiful, tranquil, private (but with mobile and wifi access). Though the hotel is not on the water, it's a short drive to anywhere on the island, including beaches and restaurants. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 5 May 2013

As other reviews have noted, this place is not for everyone -- in some ways like high end luxury camping, since no air conditioning (but still cool and pleasant at night) and rooms are open to outside. BUT totally private and surrounded by forest, with great views from our room. Before coming, I was worried about mosquitoes since rooms are open, and if there is a mosquito within a hundred miles it usually finds me but for some reason (hotel claims the breeze through the room makes the difference...there is also a mosquito net above the bed) I wasn't bothered once during our 3 day stay. Peaceful and beautiful; I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TobyNewYorkCity
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We reserved the cassette room which is actually an extra room built as part of the owner's (Neeva and John) home. I believe it is the best room as it is large and has a nice clean small refrigerator and cook top and all kitchen items were clean and nice. You should understand that the concept is minimalist living - no cabinet doors, no AC, no heat, no glass windows, no sofa, no upholstered chairs etc. There are 13 acres to walk and hills to climb. The items provided for breakfast were fine and the fresh fruit was nice except for the day they seemed to run low of fruit nd eggs. The front desk clerk (Sarah Rose) did not want to get more eggs until I insisted and then refused to get more fruit after I recalled that it was also short when she brought some to other guests.
So in summary different guests like different places and this place is very different. We appreciated it especially in comparison to our first night at the Brave Beach Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingKeats
We try to keep our website updated with the most details possible, so that guests understand the concept of Hix Island House. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We just finished our 4-night (without kids!) stay at Hix Island House and really enjoyed our time there. When we arrived, we were welcomed by the lovely manager and she walked us up to our loft and showed us around. Indeed, as other reviews note, the kitchen refrigerator was stocked with items so that we could make breakfast the next morning, and there was also fresh fruit and a loaf of bread waiting for us (truth be told: the bread wasn't very good and actually took on the smell/taste of the plastic container in which is was stored. But this was the ONLY thing about the entire stay I was disappointed with). The room itself was incredibly private and quiet, and we had a lovely view of the pool below. The design of this hotel is superb: every feature is created to ensure privacy. We honestly felt like we had the place to ourselves the entire time we were there. We sat by the pool every morning (my wife swam 1.5 miles in the pool most mornings!) and when we returned to the pool in the afternoon after a wonderful day of beach hopping, we had the pool to ourselves again. For those travelers that are making decisions regarding where to stay (and considering the W), here's my thoughts: these two hotels are worlds apart. The W was filled with plastic people (pun intended), who have no intentions to get to know the island, its people, and the environment. Music is piped in and all meals are insanely expensive. However, if you want to get a "taste" of what the W is like, drive over there, tell the gate attendant you're there for dinner, and you can see what you are not missing. Though the views are lovely, the people that stay there kind of make your skin crawl. By sharp contrast, the people who stay at the Hix are lovely, laid back people who love the joys of really experiencing the island. We loved this place, and will be back again next year!

Room Tip: Definitely try to get one of the top floor lofts, as they have the best view and offer the most priv...
Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple