“Pleasantly surprised!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I read a lot of the reviews before choosing this hotel for a one night stay in November 2013. We were coming for just one late night kayak on the bio bay. We needed a reasonable room rate for 2 rooms. Although I wanted to stay at the W, it was just too expensive. I was a little nervous that this hotel wasn't going to be as nice as it looked in the pictures and I was also concerned about many of the reviews that talked about the mosquitoes in the rooms. So having stayed there and been very happy, I thought I would write and let readers know the truth and a way to deal with the mosquitoes! The location is good if you can don't mind getting a ride back and forth to the little main strip to eat. This was no problem because some woman taxi driver in a van found us at the ferry port when we first arrived and ended up happy to be our driver for that night to the bio bay drop off and the next day back to the ferry. So firstly for a short visit, don't bother renting a car, there are cheap "taxis" all around and they really need the money, so why not support the locals--they are very nice! Back to the Hacienda..the Hotel was very pretty, the room was very pretty as well with nice tile floors and comfortable bedding and the bed itself-- plus a very nice size room. I had a beautiful ocean view as well. My room was upstairs and near the restaurant. Since I got up early to enjoy some quiet time by the pool and enjoy the ocean views-- I suspect the noise from the restaurant would bother some in the morning, so if you think you want to sleep in, don't get the rooms right near the restaurant. For an early riser like me, was a great location. The breakfast was fantastic and I am a picky eater. It was full American breakfast cooked to order and they made it exactly the way I requested. The coffee was good too. Juice, not so much ( not fresh squeezed) but the fruit in general was oddly horrible in Puerto Rico so no fault of the Hacienda. And it was a great deal to be included with the room cost. The front desk and restaurant staff was so attentive and accomodating to me personally --I had requested that I be as close to my friends as possible and they put us directly across from each other- almost adjoining rooms!
Here is my final tip for those worried as I was about the mosquitoes--When I first opened the door, turned on the light one must have flown in . Sorry bug lovers, I killed it . The thought of it buzzing my head all night as they do. But the trick is. Keep the lights off in your room when you go out and when you arrive back to your room, open the door and even though it is a beautiful heavy wood door, do your best to push it shut as fast as possible behind you. Then once it is closed, turn your lights on in the room. Ok, I was only there one night, but I went in and out a few times ( the mosquitoes are out in PR all day long) and it worked every time at every hotel I stayed in! They are attracted to the lights right outside the hotel room doors, so just make sure to get in the room and close the door, and no lights inside. Secret tip, it works! I also recommend keeping the windows closed. this keeps out the bugs as well, no matter how tempting it is to open the windows and see that gorgeous view. I suggest keeping everything closed in your room and going outside on the terrace or outdoor lobby and taking in the views from there if you have any concerns about mosquitoes. keep your room bug free. It is worth it for the comfort of a good nights sleep and no bites- plus they have great AC .
The one thing was that my very nice room did have a few holes in the screens even though the screens looked newish. I do think it would be nice if the staff would patch those holes , because that is another way the mosquitoes do get in. I improvised and stuffed tissue to block the holes. But this would be something I suggest the hotel keep up with, properly fitted screens with no holes would help a lot!
P.S. to the poor honeymooners with that stolen tire issue. I really don't think it was an "inside" job, I think the owners of the Hacienda have a lot of integrity and pride of ownership. I just think the timing of the last night was a coincidence and that local thieves might know that this hotel is up off the road and in a quiet dark place , a good spot for thieves to know about. Sad situation to be sure for them, maybe the car alarm wasn't on? Who knows, but I think the inside job part was a bit of a stretch and I agree. Just use the local very cheap taxis like we did. It was like having our own car service, we used the same woman for all 6 drives in the day and a half we were there.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper not by the restaurant or there were some rooms right in the game room so that mig...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HighonSugar
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that amazing review. To address your one concern, we were in the processing of having new screens made to replace damaged ones, and that has been done. We are all glad to know that you enjoyed your experience with us. It's our job and our mission. Happy holidays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Be careful. Although the hotel is scenic, security is non-existent. During our honeymoon in September 2013, our rental car's passenger-side wheels were stolen from our rental car while it was parked 15 feet from the hotel in the designated parking area. We really hate to think this was an inside job, but there is really no way to tell.

I gave the hotel an opportunity to resolve before I placed this review, however, they chose to quote from the contract that I signed, with very similar language as the rental car company, Vieques Rental Car. Again, we hope this is not a conspiracy but it sure seems unlikely a random theft would occur on the last night of the trip, within only 5 hours of us leaving the car.

Also, we recommend avoiding rental car facilities on the island. Car rental company charged $650 for 2 wheels (1/2 of which was shipping the wheels from the States). Only use a cab for ultimate safety. This is a shame due to the beautiful beaches within a short drive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jrjax1968
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you had such an unfortunate experience during your stay on Vieques. We do offer assistance to our guests with car rental reservations so we know they will be dealing with reliable agencies who have insurance, offer insurance to their renters, etc. In this case you made arrangements on your own and signed a contract agreeing to cover loss or damage. Since you could not be around for the police, they said they could not file a report, and actually you were parked on the public road adjacent to our parking lot. We did what we could to get your rental agency to help you out. Iván was a real advocate for your plight. Unfortunately it seems your own car insurance or your credit card company insurance would not cover your loss.
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We visit the hacienda for the second time and like the first one it was PERFECT! This time I even talked to the owner Burr and express my gratitude of such a wonderful place. If you are searching for a quiet,couzy,magical place with top customer service well this is the only option! We even like it better than the W hotel! Rosa along with all the staff from the dining area was wonderful and made us feel just like home! Pamela was just on time whenever we need it her, linda always greet us with a big smile too! So please give this wonderful place the chance to be your home away home (the caribeann,vip,sea breeze,perfect sunsets version of it). Again we are sooooo coming back, its going to be almost a tradition to visit the hacienda once a year to just recharge batteries!

Room Tip: Since the hacienda only serve breakfest I recomend el resuelve bar, the white rice and beans with la...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JDRR
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. We love having repeat guests so that we get an opportunity to get to know you, and make each visit feel like your home away from home. We hope everyone who visits Vieques and Hacienda Tamarindo will enjoy the experience, and it is such a pleasure when we hear that guests like yourselves have. We appreciate you.
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I visited the Island with a group of friends and had a great time. Also good for a romantic getaway. You need to rent a Jeep to get around freely. Friendly service, quaint property. Would recommend it and want return soon. Very good breakfast! Must eat out! Great adventure trip!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to know that you came with friends and enjoyed both the island and Hacienda Tamarindo. We look forward to your return visit so we may once again treat you to our Hacienda Hospitality.
Southampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I went with my husband last December to the Hacienda Tamarindo for 5 days and 4 nights. The Hacienda was a smaller, non-comercialized hotel, with extremely friendly and helpful staff. The hotel has a tropical feel with a tree growing through the middle of it. There is game/ computer room that has a computer your can use with internet access for free and lots of board games and other books you can use too. There is an honor system for drinks and snacks in the room too, which is great.

The Hacienda has a made to order breakfast in the morning that was fantastic. My husband and I would then order a picnic lunch that was made for us in a cooler, grab it, and head out to the beaches for the day. We rented a Jeep for when we were there (I totally reccomend this as the Hacienda is a little ways away from the downtown area where there are restaurants and little shops.) Also there are a number of beaches you can drive to that are truly amazing and have no crowds at them or in our case there was not another person there. There is snorkeling equipment, chairs, and other beach things that you can rent at the Hacienda for a fee. We did this and it was great. A little expensive. But worth it to have it so we could just snorkel around.

For dinner we would head down into the little town and have dinner. There were a variety of good restaurants. With a husband who is a football fan it was great to find a restaurant that would play the games for us to watch!

As far as our room was concerned. It was good. My only complaint were that the window were pretty thin so we could hear the conversations of people when they walked by. Also our water took forever to heat up. In fact the first day I had to take a cold shower because I let it run and it didn't get any warmer. There was no TV but we didn't mind. We just went to bed earlier and got out the door earlier in the am.

All in all I thought that the hotel was nice and worth it and would definitely go back again.
Vieques is an amazing little island with lots of undis

Room Tip: I would not book at room on the first floor heading out to the pool area as they were loud. Maybe up...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elc20132013
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of Hacienda Tamarindo and your experience in Vieques. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our service and the breakfasts. I am sorry to hear that you found the room noisy. Sometimes we have guests who have loud voices and don't realize how they carry. The hot water should not take should take an inordinately long time to reach any of our rooms. We will check into that, however, we have guests come to the office to say they had no hot water and it turned out that they were turning the handle in the wrong direction. If we know there's a problem when it occurs we can address it to prevent further inconvenience.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights for part of my honeymoon. The room was nicely sized with many windows, but unfortunately the screens meant to keep out bugs were poorly attached and the gaps in the edges let in lots of mosquitoes, flies, gnats, and moths. My husband got a lot of mosquito bites while sleeping, so we started applying several different bug repellants before going to bed - not fun or appealing for our honeymoon. Also, the air conditioning didn't seem to really work, and the room was very muggy and hot despite the ceiling fan. And lastly, it was extremely difficult to pry open our front door - the key was hard to turn and the door was so heavy it really required heaving to open.

At breakfast the first morning, we received only half our order and the other half was apparently forgotten until we asked half an hour later. Our waitress seemed totally oblivious to the fact that we had ordered any more food...also, we were served spoiled low fat milk on our last morning and had to switch to regular milk.

The pool was awesome and it was great that they provided us with beach towels to use free of charge! Not a bad place to stay but the bugs everywhere and the muggy rooms made it less than excellent.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret K
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
I am so sorry that your honeymoon experience at Hacienda Tamarindo didn't live up to your expectations. We had a lot of rain in early September and early October and it seemed to bring out the mosquitos and other bugs with a vengeance and we did have some difficulty keeping up with their control. I do appreciate the comments and while we are closed for these three weeks, one of the things we are addressing is repair or replacement of all the screens that are damaged. We are also having all of the a/c units serviced, as well as some more major projects.

I am embarrassed about your issue with your breakfast, and I truly apologize, as it's one of the things we do that we take pride in.

We appreciate your taking the time to write this review, and to let you know that we take your comments seriously and they will be addressed.
Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We spent two nights at Hacienda Tamarindo in Casita Linda and we were all thrilled with the experience. We arrived late at night and were greeted by the ever helpful Pamela, it was dark and we had no idea what our surroundings looked like, in the morning we were pleasantly surprised to walk out to the wraparound porch for the most idyllic and gorgeous scene of horses grazing in a pasture, the ocean in the distance and tropical fruit trees around us.
As others have said the breakfast is superb and we enjoyed the house mascot, Zack protecting us from any roaming horses. Our group consisted of four adults celebrating my daughters 30th birthday and Casita Linda was spacious for the four of us and easily could have accommodated another person or two. We had a wonderful time and I highly recommend hacienda Tamarindo.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Thank you for your glowing review. I know that it takes much more effort to write a good review than a bad one, and we appreciate that effort. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience. We love our staff and always enjoy hearing that they have been helpful and provided good service to our guests. I hope we might see you again on a future visit to Puerto Rico and Vieques.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
El Blok Hotel
El Blok Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to Hacienda Tamarindo? Share your experiences!