“So amazing, we have to come back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hacienda Tamarindo

Hacienda Tamarindo
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
GreenLeadersGold level
Orlando, FL
“So amazing, we have to come back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed in March 2013. We originally planned to spend 5 nights on the main island of Puerto Rico. After reading up on Vieques, we changed our plans to 3 nights in San Juan and 3 nights in Vieques. The moment we arrived on the island, we knew this was going to be a special place and we were already regretting that we hadn't made our stay longer. Hacienda Tamarindo was amazing. It was a perfect, quaint, friendly and relaxing place for us.

We let Hacienda book our jeep rental for us. When we arrived, we were given a full tour of the grounds. I couldn't stop gaping at the beautiful views everywhere you looked. Our room was on the first floor just across the hall from the library. I was worried at first about the noise because I'm a light sleeper. But I discovered that once I turned the A/C unit on at night (because I have to have it cold to sleep) I couldn't hear a thing outside the room. The french doors opened up to beautiful ocean views. One morning we woke to 4 horses not very far from our balcony. They were grazing and the 2 ponies were playing around with each other and it was so cool to sit and watch them.

We loved the pool area and enjoyed grabbing an early evening cocktail from the honor bar and sitting by the pool before heading off to dinner. And for some reason, we really loved watching the owner's dog run around the property and trot around on the special walkway they built for him on the top floor of the hacienda.

Breakfast in the morning was very good and also in a beautiful setting. It was just so relaxing. We especially loved the option to have a packed lunch ready to take with us as we set out on our daily adventures. It was one less thing to worry about.

We easily fell into a routine of packing up our jeep with rental snorkel and beach equipment and our lunch and finding yet another amazing beach to enjoy for the day.

One night we did the bio bay tour which we booked through the hotel. It was so easy to just let them handle the arrangements. Typically, I spend hours reviewing tour operators and sending tons of emails out to get info and read reviews before I book anything. But since we added this portion of our trip last minute, I didn't have the opportunity so I relied on the hotel. And that was so much easier!!!

When it was time to leave, we were actually a little sad. We didn't want to go home. We were so relaxed and pampered. We hated to leave.

My only really minor complaint was that our room had a louvered door to the bathroom. I'm rather particular about bathroom privacy and I would have much preferred a solid door on the bathroom. But considering we booked this rather last minute and it was my only complaint, that's really good because I can be quite picky.

So it's been several months since our trip but my husband and I still keep thinking about Vieques and how we wished we had stayed longer. When it came time to start planning our 10 year anniversary, we decided that we needed to splurge on a longer stay in Vieques and return to Hacienda Tamarindo.

We have already booked our stay at Tamarindo and decided to go for the Caribbean Deluxe Suite. We are so excited to return!!!

The staff is wonderful and so accommodating. The location is absolutely lovely. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mdmOrlando_FL
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you took the time to write about your experience on TripAdvisor. We try to provide our guests with the kind of vacation experience we would like to have. It sounds like, in your case, we may have succeeded. We very much look forward to hosting you again. Happy holidays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Hacienda Tamarindo is a solid hotel on the Island of Vieques with a great location and accompanying amenities. The rooms are large, but the bathrooms could do with a makeover and a really good grout cleaning. That said, the shower is large with good water pressure. A fan in the bathroom would be a welcome addition. As mentioned by others, the Honor Bar and on-site market are convenient and provide the basics if you forgot something or need a snack or cocktail. There is a rental system for beach equipment (chairs, umbrella, snorkel etc) Our package included cooler and beach chair but not umbrellas. It would be nice if the umbrella was included as it's exclusion seemed arbitrary and a bit silly.

The hotel offers a box lunch for $10 and this is a real plus. We ordered it each day and with this, our beach equipment and great attitudes we hit a different beach each day and were able to enjoy the pristine water and views for hours. Lunch is a sandwich, chips, and cookies. Not overly fancy, but well worth the money.

While on Vieques a visit to the Bio-Luminescent Bay is a MUST! It was amazing and so much fun. We used Island Adventures and they share a driveway with Hacienda Tamarindo. A wonderful evening with transport to the Mosquito Bay, boat trip and return. Also check out Belly Buttons for Sunday BBQ - delicious ribs and Duffy's for all around tasty food. Tradewinds offers $4 margaritas during happy hour 5-6:30 each evening with a fantastic view of the malecon, and the requisite sunset.

I strongly advise a rental car. If your package or reservation doesn't include this...get one on your own. It is the only way to get to a variety of beaches...and they are all so beautiful and different. While there is 'action' in Esperanza near the hotel, the other towns like Isabel Segunda are small and didn't seem to offer as much. But, they are worth a day trip as it is only about a 20 minute drive.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chictraavel
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
We very much appreciate your taking the time to write your informative review. I am sure people will find it very helpful. The showers are in the process of being updated. Unfortunately we have to close to do it and we began this year by closing for 21/2 weeks in October to begin that process. We hear you and take all comments to heart. We hope we will see you again. Happy holidays.
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I just got back from Vieques and we can't say enough good things about our stay at the Hacienda Tamarindo. The staff was fabulous, the breakfast was great, and the whole atmosphere was perfect!.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jolene J
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We need to hear when we aren't doing our job, but we LOVE to hear it when we are. We hope to see you back. Happy holidays.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I read a lot of the reviews before choosing this hotel for a one night stay in November 2013. We were coming for just one late night kayak on the bio bay. We needed a reasonable room rate for 2 rooms. Although I wanted to stay at the W, it was just too expensive. I was a little nervous that this hotel wasn't going to be as nice as it looked in the pictures and I was also concerned about many of the reviews that talked about the mosquitoes in the rooms. So having stayed there and been very happy, I thought I would write and let readers know the truth and a way to deal with the mosquitoes! The location is good if you can don't mind getting a ride back and forth to the little main strip to eat. This was no problem because some woman taxi driver in a van found us at the ferry port when we first arrived and ended up happy to be our driver for that night to the bio bay drop off and the next day back to the ferry. So firstly for a short visit, don't bother renting a car, there are cheap "taxis" all around and they really need the money, so why not support the locals--they are very nice! Back to the Hacienda..the Hotel was very pretty, the room was very pretty as well with nice tile floors and comfortable bedding and the bed itself-- plus a very nice size room. I had a beautiful ocean view as well. My room was upstairs and near the restaurant. Since I got up early to enjoy some quiet time by the pool and enjoy the ocean views-- I suspect the noise from the restaurant would bother some in the morning, so if you think you want to sleep in, don't get the rooms right near the restaurant. For an early riser like me, was a great location. The breakfast was fantastic and I am a picky eater. It was full American breakfast cooked to order and they made it exactly the way I requested. The coffee was good too. Juice, not so much ( not fresh squeezed) but the fruit in general was oddly horrible in Puerto Rico so no fault of the Hacienda. And it was a great deal to be included with the room cost. The front desk and restaurant staff was so attentive and accomodating to me personally --I had requested that I be as close to my friends as possible and they put us directly across from each other- almost adjoining rooms!
Here is my final tip for those worried as I was about the mosquitoes--When I first opened the door, turned on the light one must have flown in . Sorry bug lovers, I killed it . The thought of it buzzing my head all night as they do. But the trick is. Keep the lights off in your room when you go out and when you arrive back to your room, open the door and even though it is a beautiful heavy wood door, do your best to push it shut as fast as possible behind you. Then once it is closed, turn your lights on in the room. Ok, I was only there one night, but I went in and out a few times ( the mosquitoes are out in PR all day long) and it worked every time at every hotel I stayed in! They are attracted to the lights right outside the hotel room doors, so just make sure to get in the room and close the door, and no lights inside. Secret tip, it works! I also recommend keeping the windows closed. this keeps out the bugs as well, no matter how tempting it is to open the windows and see that gorgeous view. I suggest keeping everything closed in your room and going outside on the terrace or outdoor lobby and taking in the views from there if you have any concerns about mosquitoes. keep your room bug free. It is worth it for the comfort of a good nights sleep and no bites- plus they have great AC .
The one thing was that my very nice room did have a few holes in the screens even though the screens looked newish. I do think it would be nice if the staff would patch those holes , because that is another way the mosquitoes do get in. I improvised and stuffed tissue to block the holes. But this would be something I suggest the hotel keep up with, properly fitted screens with no holes would help a lot!
P.S. to the poor honeymooners with that stolen tire issue. I really don't think it was an "inside" job, I think the owners of the Hacienda have a lot of integrity and pride of ownership. I just think the timing of the last night was a coincidence and that local thieves might know that this hotel is up off the road and in a quiet dark place , a good spot for thieves to know about. Sad situation to be sure for them, maybe the car alarm wasn't on? Who knows, but I think the inside job part was a bit of a stretch and I agree. Just use the local very cheap taxis like we did. It was like having our own car service, we used the same woman for all 6 drives in the day and a half we were there.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper not by the restaurant or there were some rooms right in the game room so that mig...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HighonSugar
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that amazing review. To address your one concern, we were in the processing of having new screens made to replace damaged ones, and that has been done. We are all glad to know that you enjoyed your experience with us. It's our job and our mission. Happy holidays.
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Be careful. Although the hotel is scenic, security is non-existent. During our honeymoon in September 2013, our rental car's passenger-side wheels were stolen from our rental car while it was parked 15 feet from the hotel in the designated parking area. We really hate to think this was an inside job, but there is really no way to tell.

I gave the hotel an opportunity to resolve before I placed this review, however, they chose to quote from the contract that I signed, with very similar language as the rental car company, Vieques Rental Car. Again, we hope this is not a conspiracy but it sure seems unlikely a random theft would occur on the last night of the trip, within only 5 hours of us leaving the car.

Also, we recommend avoiding rental car facilities on the island. Car rental company charged $650 for 2 wheels (1/2 of which was shipping the wheels from the States). Only use a cab for ultimate safety. This is a shame due to the beautiful beaches within a short drive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jrjax1968
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you had such an unfortunate experience during your stay on Vieques. We do offer assistance to our guests with car rental reservations so we know they will be dealing with reliable agencies who have insurance, offer insurance to their renters, etc. In this case you made arrangements on your own and signed a contract agreeing to cover loss or damage. Since you could not be around for the police, they said they could not file a report, and actually you were parked on the public road adjacent to our parking lot. We did what we could to get your rental agency to help you out. Iván was a real advocate for your plight. Unfortunately it seems your own car insurance or your credit card company insurance would not cover your loss.
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We visit the hacienda for the second time and like the first one it was PERFECT! This time I even talked to the owner Burr and express my gratitude of such a wonderful place. If you are searching for a quiet,couzy,magical place with top customer service well this is the only option! We even like it better than the W hotel! Rosa along with all the staff from the dining area was wonderful and made us feel just like home! Pamela was just on time whenever we need it her, linda always greet us with a big smile too! So please give this wonderful place the chance to be your home away home (the caribeann,vip,sea breeze,perfect sunsets version of it). Again we are sooooo coming back, its going to be almost a tradition to visit the hacienda once a year to just recharge batteries!

Room Tip: Since the hacienda only serve breakfest I recomend el resuelve bar, the white rice and beans with la...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JDRR
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. We love having repeat guests so that we get an opportunity to get to know you, and make each visit feel like your home away from home. We hope everyone who visits Vieques and Hacienda Tamarindo will enjoy the experience, and it is such a pleasure when we hear that guests like yourselves have. We appreciate you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I visited the Island with a group of friends and had a great time. Also good for a romantic getaway. You need to rent a Jeep to get around freely. Friendly service, quaint property. Would recommend it and want return soon. Very good breakfast! Must eat out! Great adventure trip!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to know that you came with friends and enjoyed both the island and Hacienda Tamarindo. We look forward to your return visit so we may once again treat you to our Hacienda Hospitality.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
El Blok Hotel
El Blok Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to Hacienda Tamarindo? Share your experiences!