“Hidden Gem”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Couldn't have picked a better hotel on Vieques. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. They go out of their way to make you feel at home. Would definitely stay there again. They have everything you could possibly need, from quiet rooms, wifi, extra snorkel gear, breathtaking ocean views. On the must stay list if you've never been.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank makotoQA
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you. We so appreciate it when our guests share their positive experiences with others. The fact that you had a great experience reinforces that we are doing our job. We really want every guest to have a wonderful vacation--we are glad you did. We look forward to seeing on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed 14 May 2014

love this place,beautiful and comfortable rooms,friendly staff,delicious breakfast,honor system bar,nice pool,well kept gardens and a peaceful place to rest after a day at the great beaches of the island.we went with two other couples and we have a great time ,don't miss bahia fosforecente trip,it was a memorable experience!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
How great to spend a birthday at Hacienda Tamarindo on Vieques. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time and enjoyed all that the island and our hotel have to offer. We so appreciate your taking the time to write your glowing review. We hope that there will be more reasons to celebrate here.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Fourth trip to Vieques for us, first time at Hacienda Tamarindo. Will certainly be back. Ivan was fantastic to work with in setting up our reservations and warned us that it can be the rainy season but we lucked out as everything was late this year. Views from the room were terrific. We are early risers and coffee ready, strong and piping hot at 6a.m. was a bonus. The waitstaff could not have been more helpful. We felt bad about asking for an earlier breakfast one day to accommodate a snorkeling trip (also highly recommended - www.littleboatsailing.com) and the staff were happy to help us out. The packed lunches are also a tremendous deal, esp. if your spouse is a "spend all day at the beach" type. Unable to completely escape work during the week, the air conditioned lobby with wifi was a welcome retreat while my wife enjoyed the pool. We shall return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gregory R
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write that great review. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit with, especially that you will be back. It is always good to hear when our guests are pleased with their experience. We are happy to count you among them, and look forward to seeing you again.
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was the first vacation for my husband and I have had without children in more than 18 years. we have been to many places but this was the most amazing, beautiful, peaceful place we've been to. The rooms are spacious, beautiful and well kept. We were lucky to have a view of the Caribbean ocean from our bed! The staff was so helpful and friendly. If you've never been to the island they will spend the time to help you find places to see based on your interests. There are a wide variety of restaurants from casual dining to fine dining but do not require dress attire. Although the hotel was completely full, the staff made us feel as if we were the only ones there. We recommend this place to anyone looking for some R&R in the sun. This is our new annual vacation spot!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roger P
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for a great review. We are always pleased to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us, and that we are doing our job. We enjoyed hosting you on this vacation and look forward to your return visit.
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I returned to Vieques this year for our second year, and decided to try out Hacienda Tamarindo, and we positively loved it. From the moment you arrive, you are greeted by warm house staff that explain the property and walk you to your room. We had the wonderful fortune of staying in room #2, which has a large patio overlooking the ocean. The room itself was clean and tastefully decorated in a way that seemed both Cuban AND Bostonian. We absolutely loved it.

Each morning, we sat out on the deck drinking our early morning coffee. One of the lovely things about this place is that the coffee is ready when you are--and I was ready for coffee by 6:00 am each morning. I went upstairs to the kitchen to find the coffee hot and ready to go. And bless their hearts--in good Puerto Rican style, the milk to put in my coffee was also hot/warm. We sat and drank our coffee and watched the horses move from one pasture to another until we were ready to head out for our morning run at 7:00 am. When we returned an hour later (I highly recommend a run in which you turn LEFT out of the long driveway and head down to Playa Grande, which is about 2.0 miles away--you can take a wonderful swim once you get there and then head back to the hotel), we showered and enjoyed a lovely breakfast upstairs in the outdoor dining area. The women who waited on us were lovely and the breakfast was delicious.

During our stay, we visited several INCREDIBLE beaches (we highly recommend both Playa Chiva and Plata Prieta). It gets extremely hot by about 1:00 or so, so we enjoyed the beaches for about 3 hours in the morning and then headed back to the hotel to sit by the pool for the rest of the afternoon. The pool is also lovely--very clean and refreshing and the views from the pool are to die for.

One of the best things about Hacienda Tamarindo is that they have just constructed a bathroom in the lobby that you can use to shower/change/freshen up if your flight leaves after check out time. Our flight didn't leave until 3:30, so we were able to enjoy a full morning at the beach, a mango margarita at Belly Buttons (also highly recommended), a short swim at Hacienda Tamarindo, and then a nice shower in the new bathroom. I found everything I needed in the bathroom, including fresh towels and shampoo/conditioner. And the front desk staff stored my luggage while I was at the beach for the morning so I could just return and jump in the shower before I got on the airplane.

I have no complaints about this place, and we will definitely be back next year (or maybe even later this year), either as a couple or with our children. I do like that there are clear policies regarding children staying at this place (for part of the year, children younger than 15 aren't allowed to stay). As a parent of a 11 and 8-year old, I actually appreciate this policy, as it is nice to get away without children. The policy is relaxed a bit from May-December, and children as young as 8 can stay. I do realize that this may be an inconvenience for some families, but I thought it was a clever approach to traveling with children.

Also--one other thing--as a woman in a same-sex relationship, I felt extremely comfortable at Hacienda Tamarindo. None of the staff made us feel uncomfortable because we were two women in a relationship, and I am greatly appreciative of that. I highly recommend it for other same sex couples as well.

Room Tip: Room #2 is outstanding with a patio overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kmattocks
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
We really loved your review. Wonderful that you enjoyed the hotel and the island with all it's beautiful beaches. We definitely look forward to seeing you back at Hacienda Tamarindo.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This review is a little late since I stayed at the Hacienda over six months ago but I needed to write something to support this wonderful establishment. My trip to Vieques started off horribly when the hotel I made a reservation for was overbooked and was told that are room was unavailable. We were referred to the Hacienda Tamarindo through this hotel and were given a ride by the Tamarindo staff (complimentary too). To say that I was upset at my predicament was an understatement but the Tamarindo staff was welcoming and bent over backwards to get me a view of the ocean and keeping the same price of my original reservation. My girlfriend and I were shocked and the staff even gave us a few drinks on the house as we waited on the paperwork (ice cold too). It seemed as if everything we asked for they accommodated us in every way. We had the pleasure of meeting the owner who has a sheep dog that is his best friend. I can honestly say that I never felt more at home than at the Hacienda Tamarindo. The breakfast was great and the staff was extremely helpful and courteous. I really can easily see why over 240 some people posted something positive about their stay at this establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Walter O
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you, thank you for that great review. We are very happy to have helped you out in a difficult situation. The fact that after a rocky start you were able to settle in and enjoy your vacation says volumes. Enjoy your summer, and we hope to see you again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My family of three stayed at this lovely inn over spring break. Our room was spacious and clean with a lovely view out to the pool and sea beyond! (The only small item I would mention was the room really needed to have a chair in it as there was no place to sit other than on the bed.) The inn is located up on a hill with gorgeous sea breezes sweeping through. We actually kept our windows open the entire visit with just the ceiling fan running! This enabled us to not only listen to the ocean but hear the crowing of roosters in the morning as well as the neighing of the horses out in the meadow. Although maybe not for everyone we felt it added all the more charm to this great inn. Breakfast was excellent and service was very friendly, and efficient every morning. Loved the gracious honor bar system which enabled me to prepare a cocktail when and how I liked it. We also really enjoyed the ability for a fee to check out daily snorkel gear and chairs with ease which was a great convenience. The small coolers provided along with the plentiful ice supply and large beach towels made beach hopping for the day a breeze! Overall a truly great stay! A special shout out to the Manager of the inn Ivan he truly helped us out of a jam with with a horseback riding company... Thank you so very much!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wjjtravel
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for that great review. Ivan, our manager, is definitely a can-do guy, and really cares that our guests have a great stay. It was thoughtful of you to mention him in your review. Of course, our entire staff is here to assist in any way they can. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
El Blok Hotel
El Blok Hotel
#1 of 1 in Esperanza
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to Hacienda Tamarindo? Share your experiences!