Hacienda Tamarindo
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
US$213
US$120
HotelQuickly
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Bravo Beach Hotel(Isla de Vieques)
Very Good 4/5
Priceline
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewshonor bartamarind treecasita lindahonor systemcaribbean deluxebeach chairsmade to order breakfastthe breakfast areabreakfast was deliciousblue horizonbio bayevery morningrental carwild horsesthought of everythingbed and breakfastview of the ocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2009

This review is long over due. My husband and I stayed for 1 week we stayed in 2 different rooms on 1 floor that had ocean view. Both rooms were nice.What I did notice was that all rooms were nice even lower priced were a great buy. [for bugets] The pool was just a breath of fresh air. Pictures don't do property justice.Food was terrific and staff fantastic.We did the bio. bay tour very fun.We loved all the animals. Barkley the dog , cat and shabu the bird.Also we had a car rented, which is a must. Great island to explore. The beaches are fantastic and esperanza at night was fun for music and drinks bar was called Bananas I think. We met lots of nice guest and tried a variety of good resturants from rib's, to sushi. This place is well worth a visit I can't say enough. Kisses to all the wonderful staff.

• Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank elzabeth
Reviewed 22 January 2009

A charming, small hotel, beautifully designed and furnished in a nineteen-thirties atmosphere, with a beautiful Caribbean view, a perfect pool and a warm library. About a five minute walk brings you to a deserted beach on the Caribbean. This is great for sunning but not for swimming. There are underwater rocks.

Vieques is less developed at least partially because large areas are government owned and/or nature preserves. There are no high rises, golf or casinos. A rental car really helps, it is pretty much a necessity. Once you buy into the Vieques style, Hacienda Tamarindo has to be on your short list for hotels. I couldn’t help but think of Hemmingway’s Islands in the Stream the entire time I was there. You can't go wrong unless your looking for a spring break atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JonHadley
Reviewed 18 January 2009

My husband and I enjoyed the week following Thanksgiving in Room 5 at the Hacienda. Upon arrival, our Jeep had been delivered and the staff gave us a tour. I was instantly struck by how quiet and peaceful the property was. As we looked out over the Caribbean sea with our cocktails from the honor bar, we noticed another guest napping under a palm tree by the pool. I knew then that we had made the right choice.

The accommodations were simple but clean and comfortable. It has a bed-and-breakfast feel, but I mostly felt like I was a family friend, not a hotel guest! It was that comfortable, laid back, and welcoming. Our room was definitely one of the better ones - we had a huge patio with lounge chairs and a great view of the Caribbean. We enjoyed breakfast early every morning (my husband loved the Tamarind juice and the spicy potatoes were my favorite). I wish someone would have told us to tip the breakfast ladies - with free breakfast, we were not sure until we saw others doing it and had to "catch up" on our third day. The staff were incredible - owners and employees both. They recommended the best restaurants (El Quenepo was our first dinner - what a way to welcome us to the island!) and helped arrange travel, etc.

From speaking to other travelers and driving around the island, I can say without a doubt that when we return to Vieques, we will be staying at the Hacienda.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EastLansingCouple
Reviewed 10 January 2009

We arrived at Hacienda Tamarindo on the 26th of December. While we got in about 6:30 and the office was closed, our keys were waiting for us. It was the start of the most relaxing hotel experience I have had in a long time...Our room overlooked the ocean on one side and the pool and town of Esperanza on the other side. We settled into the room and felt the warm tropical breeze flow through the room from all the windows. The room was clean and large. Lots of sitting places and even luggage racks for both of us. While we both commented that the bedspread comes from the generic hotel bedspread factory the bed itself was great. We liked the little offbeat ammenities like the "Wash Away Your Sins" soap dispenser. The room had a fan to assist in the breeze but who needed it. Did I mention the great honor bar that they have? A real treat at mid-night.

The hotel is like a cross between a B&B and a small hotel. The breakfast the next day under the tamrind tree was great. The wait staff where very friendly and fast. At each table they provided an overview of all the world news so you are not completely unplugged.

We did not have a rental car, make sure you comfirm before you go, so we walked everywhere. Jim gave use a contact for one of the publicos but we found the walk down to the beach and then into town was one of the best parts of staying here. We truely unwound as we walked along the beach, We could have used the taxi to go to one of the beaches but found that Sun Bay was just a good and the walk was fun too.

The staff always had the room clean and tidy when we arrived back to the hotel and were just great to answer any question. Jim was especially helpful in talking about the island, people, and things to do.

After three wonderfull nights, the rooms are great, could not hear another soul, and four glorious days we had to check out to catch our flight. As we sat out on the balcony I plugged my cell phone into charge. As we left, I of course forgot about it until we got to the airport. How stupid! Well Sharon (who should be your choice for taxi driver) was going to beat a world round trip record back to the hotel, we called to see if anyone else was coming. To my great surprise they had someone that was coming to the airport. When my phone arrived it was Jim who went out of his way to get my phone to me. He then refused any payment for this superior client service!

Carol and I were both amazed and how well they took care of every detail for us. It was an amazing trip and the highlight was our stay at Hacienda Tamarindo!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Flyeridaho
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We only spent one night at the Hacienda Tamarindo, but we wished we could have stayed longer. We loved Vieques, and we were thoroughly charmed by the hotel.

We were greeted warmly and shown around the hotel upon arrival. We were early and our room wasn't ready, but we were offered beach towels and given recommendations on the best beaches on the island; we left our bags, and when we returned about 5 hours later, they were in our room. We stayed in room #5, a "Caribbean Deluxe" room that's the last room on the main hallway on the first floor, with an attached balcony--a lovely place to relax with a view of the Caribbean! The staff member at the desk when we came back was also extremely helpful, giving us recommendations for a local restaurant with good local food (Mucho Gusto in Esperanza: fabulous yellowtail snapper, caught fresh in Vieques!), making sure we had plans to check out the BioBay, giving us helpful information on the BioBay tour we'd already selected (kayaking with Travesias Yaureibo--excellent!), and basically making sure we had everything we needed.

There was an a/c in the room, but we found with one window open and the ceiling fan on that we were very comfortable (late December). The breakfast the following morning was great, and again we left our bags after check out and spent several more hours exploring beaches before catching the last flight back to Ceiba. When we returned we picked up our bags, changed (and showered!) in the bathroom in the lobby, and were bid farewell by a third very helpful staff member.

When I was booking this, I was worried that it wasn't right on the beach and wasn't right in town. But, as I discovered upon arriving in Vieques, there's not really a beach in Isabel Segunda, the beach in Esperanza is not one you want to hang out at, and you'll want to rent a 4-wheel-drive vehicle to explore the best beaches that are down pothole-filled dirt/mud roads--so, just pick a hotel that sounds good for you, and expect to be driving around to get the most out of the island. It's a small island, with very manageable distances.

Regarding some other comments I've read on this site: we found the Hacienda Tamarindo very well-maintained and impeccably clean. The parking lot is small, yes, but if it's full you can park on the side of the road leading to the hotel with no problem. The bed--well, it wasn't great, but it was like every other bed I slept in at non-multinational chains in Puerto Rico: comfortable enough, though not firm enough if you have back problems requiring firmer support. The internet connection in the library: yep, it's slow, so I wouldn't recommend surfing, but if there's a specific piece of information you're looking for, or if you just want to check your email quickly, it's certainly adequate. TV: none in the room, one in the library, which, like the computer, may or may not be being used by another guest at any given time. Honor bar: wonderful--it's a reasonably well-stocked bar with far more variety of liquors than what you'd find in an average minibar, at much more reasonale prices.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple