“Buyer beware”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, NY
Reviewed 20 June 2006

According to the other reviews on the site, this hotel is lovely. I can't vouch for that, since I didn't wind up staying there -- I cancelled a few days before my trip. What I *can* say is that, when it comes to their reservations system, they're sloppy at best, in a way that could wind up costing you money. I'd reserved a room and a car through their website, and a few days before I was scheduled to stay there, I called the hotel in the early evening to tell them I wouldn't be coming. They didn't pick up, so I left a message on their answering machine. A few days later, I got a call from them, asking where I was; I told them I'd cancelled my reservation, and they said they hadn't heard about it. So I told them not to expect me. End of story? Not quite.

When my credit card bill arrived that month, I found a charge for $45, for the Vieques rental car agency. I called and found out that they'd charged my card for my no-show -- something I hadn't been told would happen, either when I reserved the car, or when I cancelled the reservation. I called the hotel to ask them what they could do about the charge. And called them. And called them. I kept speaking to desk clerks who -- while very polite -- insisted they could do nothing to help me. Finally, I managed to talk to the hotel's owner, who told me that, in his view, I was responsible for the $45, since the hotel's policy is that, if you cancel your reservation over the phone, you have to do so with a live person. I pointed out that that policy's nowhere on his hotel's website; he said, "Yeah, I guess I should put that up there." I asked why their answering machine was even picking up in the early evening, and he said, "Well, we work the same hours you do, 9 to 5."

I asked if there was anything he could do about the charge, given that it was a fee I didn't know about, which was charged to me because of a rule I hadn't been told about, because I called an answering machine that (it turns out) they can't be bothered to answer. The owner said he'd get back to me. I'm still waiting. Oh, and he still hasn't put that you-have-to-cancel-in-person policy up on the site. So: Now you know.

Stayed: August 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 12 June 2006

We enjoyed staying on our second floor room (number 23). The doors and windows are all louvered so there was not much to keep out noise. Since breakfast was served outside our door each morning, we were woken several times by noisy guests. There was also a nice porch with chairs just outside our door. A couple of mornings some guests sat outside our window and chatted. One morning a lady sat out there chatted and talked on her cell phone for about 15 minutes. It got to be very annoying. If you want more peace and quiet, request a room on a lower floor. Room 5, overlooking the pool looked to be the best in my opinion.

The breakfast was fantastic. Each morning, they had a special or you could order an omlett any way you liked. You could also get fresh fruit, cereal, coffee, fruit juice, and either toast or an English muffin. Everything was very tasty. The spicy hash browns were also an unusual treat. We usually had enough to save for lunch later in the day.

Each room was furnished with folding beach chairs and towels, which you could take with you to the beach. Each room also had a small cooler for filling with ice and drinks. You could even request a box lunch to take with you the next day. The order sheet had to be turned in the night before. The cost was $8.50 per lunch. We never had to order one since the breakfast was so ample. We took the savings and splurged on dinner at a nice restaurant.

The staff was perhaps the best aspect of the inn. They made recommendations and reservations at restaurants each night. They even arranged for a rental jeep for us and had it waiting when we got there. Burr Vail, one of the proprietors was available to provide advice and directions throughout the day. We couldn't have asked for a more helpful and welcoming staff.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank Joel M
Reviewed 9 June 2006

Lovely place to stay. Beautiful guesthouse. The pool is gorgeous and nice to take a swim, at night especially. It's open 24 hours. The breakfasts are great. The rooms are large and clean. We had a view of the Caribbean in #23. Amazing! The resident dog, Barkley is very laid back and a nice addition, as well as the parrot. The staff were helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed our stay at the Tamarindo and Vieques was great! We would stay her again in a heartbeat!

3  Thank 4adventures
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 3 June 2006

We stayed 3 nights at the Hacienda Tamarindo and found it nearly
impossible to leave this lovely place. From check-in to check-out,
everything was just right. The staff is friendly and helpful, the Hacienda
pets are awesome (hello, Barkley!), the setting couldn't be more tranquil
and beautiful.

We had a 2-room suite for my husband and I and my mother-in-law
and it worked out perfectly. The main bedroom of the suite is amazing,
with a high ceiling and a view over the grounds and lovely pool.

Breakfasts are fantastic -- more than enough to see you through
lunchtime, but the staff can also make you picnic lunches to take
along to the beach.

Vieques itself is very quiet, undeveloped (so far) -- no chain restaurants,
no El Wal-Mart, no nightclubs. Please don't go to Vieques if you are
going to complain about the lack of "things to do"! The beaches are
glorious, the people are wonderful, the food is delicious -- it is just
a kick-back and really relax place. Do not miss the Bio Bay tour
under any circumstances -- go with Island Adventures, right next
to Hacienda Tamarindo and you will have one of the most magical
adventures of your life.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 May 2006

We (my husband, his granddaughter and her mother) chose Hacienda Tamarindo and stayed in a 2-room suite. The property is beautiful with gorgeous views of the Caribbean. Our room was one of the few featured on the website, though the décor has been updated considerably, and it was quite comfortable, composed of a king-size bedroom with two very nice armoires, a sitting room with two twin-size daybeds, and a bathroom connecting the two. Only the main bedroom had a/c, but the staff thoughtfully provided a floor fan, which, combined with the ceiling fan, cooled the sitting room sufficiently for sleeping. Unfortunately, our room was adjacent to the kitchen and breakfast area, and since the door to the room was a louvered door, quite a bit of noise filtered through in the mornings. Though to be fair, it didn’t seem as loud as the roosters outdoors, and my husband and I didn’t hear it at all in our bedroom—it was just the sitting room that was affected.

After getting off to a shaky start with a certain staff member (she actually told me that she had received an email I sent the day before departure but didn’t bother to read or respond to it since I would be there the next day! The email was a request for 4 packed lunches since we would arrive mid-afternoon and might be too tired to drive someplace to get a late lunch.), we very quickly warmed to the place. We were all charmed by Barkley, the resident Old English Sheepdog, and Shaboo, the brightly colored parrot. Not to mention the staff, including the aforementioned woman, who were all a delight. The pool area was a real oasis, with a shaded pergola and chaises at one end and a vista overlooking the green hills rolling down to the Caribbean at the other. There were two hammocks strung in shaded areas beside the pool, a water fountain incorporated into the pool that muffled voices very effectively, and two small bench-like alcoves set into the deep end of the pool that were perfect for sitting and reading so that one’s bottom half was submerged while one’s torso was above the waterline.

One thing I really liked about the property was that there seemed to be plenty of private spaces, both sunny and shaded, for tete-a-tetes. Some overlooked the pool, others faced out over the gardens or had views of the Caribbean, but all were nicely situated for privacy. Romantic couples would definitely have no problem finding a space for just themselves. Another thing I really liked were the decorative touches here and there, unexpected little pieces, ranging from an antique wheelchair parked in a corner, to a tiled fountain at the entrance, to a Janus-head hanging up near the breakfast area. The honor bar was also very handy to have around, as we could just make our own drinks and record them in a notebook—however, I would have enjoyed having a blender there to make frozen drinks, and there was no ice cream in the freezer as described on the website. There was also a small air-conditioned sitting room with a lending library, decent selection of board games, and a computer with high-speed access for guest use.

Breakfast is included in the room price at HacTam, so we ate there every morning before heading out. The menu consists of toast, various kinds of eggs, fruit, a choice of meat, hot or cold cereals, various juices, and a daily special. I’m trying to lose a bit of weight, so I opted for fruit and cold cereals until our last day when the special was French toast stuffed with cream cheese and guava—tell me, dear reader, what would YOU have ordered? I simply had to do it, and it was delicious. I sampled the others' omelets, eggs Benedict, and spicy hash browns and they were all very good.

HacTam is just a short walk away from the Inn on the Blue Horizon, which is where we went to eat upon arrival. The email that I had sent requesting lunches on the first day was ignored, so we were grateful to have a place we could grab lunch without having to sort through the rental car process first. We did order the lunches for the next day, which were a disappointment, I'm sorry to say. Three out of the four sandwiches were made incorrectly, and the bread was stale on all of them. Still, we were happy to have them to snack on whilst out exploring the deserted beaches with no facilities--and the fruit and the packaged chips and cookies were all just fine. It's a great concept they have going with the cooler backpack, but based on our one experience with it, it could stand some more attention to detail.

All in all, we were extremely pleased with the HacTam. It has a wonderful charm that, if you let it, will ease into your body and mind and embrace you with its serenity. My husband and I will definitely return, and his daughter made a reservation for a stay later this summer before we departed. Despite the small setbacks upon our arrival, I would still rate our experience with 5 stars (or circles, as they use here on TripAdvisor).

8  Thank ejcrowe
Reviewed 19 May 2006

The Hacienda Tamarindo was perfect for a romantic, quiet get away. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast under the Tamarind tree was delicious and the view out to the ocean was relaxing. We had the pool to our selves most of the time and the property had hammocks and lawn chairs. Request a packed lunch for the beach and enjoy your stay!!!

7  Thank tlcall01
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed 14 May 2006

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days before a conference in San Juan. Getting to Vieques on the new high speed ferry from Old San Juan was simple. The people at the Hacienda Tamarindo were extremely helpful in arranging for a rental car (a must to get around to beaches, restaurants) and a trip to the Bioluminescent Bay. The Hacienda is beautiful and well maintained. Our room had a private balcony looking out over the fields to the ocean. The pool is lovely. The breakfast was excellent. One of the best deals on the whole island is the "box lunch" offered by the hotel. For $8.50 they pack up a sandwich, fruit, chips and cookie in a backpack cooler. Add some drinks to the cooler in each room and it is easy to spend the day at any beach. The hotel provides beach towels and chairs for guests to take with them for the day. Vieques has beautiful beaches, wild horses, and lots of birds. The Bioluminescent Bay is a once in a lifetime opportunity. There is virtually no shopping and only a couple of dozen restaurants on the whole island. It is a place to go to relax and leave behind the bustle of the city. We would definitely go again to the Hacienda Tamarindo.

• Stayed: April 2006
El Blok Hotel
#1 of 1 in Esperanza
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Hacienda Tamarindo? Share your experiences!