“Wild Horses”
Review of Sun Bay

More attraction details
Owner description: If paradise had palm trees...they'd call it Sun Bay.
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

The ferry was sold out to Culebra so we decided to take a different ferry to Vieques. With no research i wasn't sure about what to do once we got to the island. A taxi driver recommended Sun Bay Beach. We visited on a Tuesday morning/early afternoon and there were no more than 20 people there. It is a beautiful place with at least 10 wild horses roaming the area. It was really laid back and had one kiosk with food. I am glad i went but probably wouldn't be quick to go back unless I was already in the area.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

After 1-1/2 hours churning across the ocean in a ferry from Fajardo to Vieques I was ready to be dazzled. I was sorely disappointed at Sun Bay. It was average and kind of dirty and both my teenage girls who were up for snorkeling thought the waves too big. It was a windy day, but I just wasn't impressed. Maybe we missed the good spot, but I wouldn't recommend this place based on our experience.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I recommend you visit Red Beach instead of Sun Bay if you’re looking for facilities. Unless you want to camp, Sun Bay is not that nice by Vieques standards. I mean, if you only visit Sun Bay, you might as well have stayed in the mainland and enjoy San Juan’s nicer beaches. Just just being an honest local here…

… Or maybe I just visited on a bad day? The coast was full of algae and dirty. Even Isla Verde's beaches have water with more gorgeous color than this…!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We visited Sun Bay on a random Thursday morning, arriving at 9:30am. There was no one at the gate to take our $2.00, so we got in for free! As it turned out, we were the ONLY ones on the beach for the entire morning (at times we wondered if it was closed, but we'd occasionally see a maintenance worker out and about clearing palm fronds and debris from the beach).

We didn't park in the parking lot, instead heading a little down the winding dirt road along the beach to the left,and parking just off the beach on the side of the road. As others arrived later in the day, this seemed to be the thing to do - many others parked in the same way.

As for the beach itself, it is a marquee attraction for Vieques, as a picture-postcard perfect Caribbean beach: soft white powder sand and warm crystal-clear water. You can (and should!) easily while the day(s) away here - don't miss it!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Spend several days at Sun Beach. Very clean, wide beach. The waves were enough to keep my son satisfied playing, but not so rough as to keep my daughter out of the water. Not crowded. Large enough that even saw wild horses running on the beach.